Albany Whalecatcher Cheynes IV

trotterdotpom
12th March 2015, 12:41
Preserved Whalecatcher at Discovery Bay, Albany, West Australia. Finished work in 1978 when the whaling station closed, last one in Australia. The ship was built in Norway - for some reason, the Scrobs hate whales - and first worked from Durban, South Africa. Who remembers the stink of the whale station when entering Durban? I do.

A sistership "Cheynes II" still sits aground in Princess Royal Harbour after being blown aground in 1990. Not sure what she was doing out there in 1990 - whaling was supposed to be abolished by then.

John T

trotterdotpom
12th March 2015, 12:44
Preserved Whalecatcher at Discovery Bay, Albany, West Australia. Finished work in 1978 when the whaling station closed, last one in Australia. The ship was built in Norway - for some reason, the Scrobs hate whales - and first worked from Durban, South Africa. Who remembers the stink of the whaling station when entering Durban? I do.

A sistership "Cheynes II" still sits aground in Princess Royal Harbour after being blown aground in 1990. Not sure what she was doing out there in 1990 - whaling was supposed to be abolished by then.

John T

Stuclem
28th September 2016, 04:03
Preserved Whalecatcher at Discovery Bay, Albany, West Australia. Finished work in 1978 when the whaling station closed, last one in Australia. The ship was built in Norway - for some reason, the Scrobs hate whales - and first worked from Durban, South Africa. Who remembers the stink of the whale station when entering Durban? I do.

John T

John

I now volunteer at Whale World and have been doing some work on the Cheynes IV, they have in the past few months opened up the engine room for visitors to go through. The Cheynes 11 is the sister ship to the Cheynes 111, both had been built in England 1947 for the Norwegian whaling company. Cheynes 11 can been name Thorbryn and Cheynes 111 Thorgrim.

Stuart Clements

trotterdotpom
28th September 2016, 12:32
thanks for that Stuclem and welcome to SN. Why did I think the ships were built in Norway?

I found this bit of information about Cheynes II (Thorbryn), including photos. Interesting that she was built at Middlesbrough - I was too and not a hop, skip and a jump from Smiths Dock.

She was bought by a Brisbane company and re-named Looma II, so I expect she worked at the Tangalooma Whaling Station on Moreton Island. Now a popular holiday resort.

I'm pretty sure that Cheynes IV was built in Sandefjord, Norway, in 1948 and worked out of Durban prior to coming to Australia. Read it somewhere - maybe on board.

Whale World is a very interesting exhibition, a reminder of a bit of Australian history that a lot of folk know nothing about. Well done, you and all your fellow volunteers.

John T