British Tanker Company

Bruros
13th March 2015, 00:03
Hi Y' All !
I served a two year Contract with BP Tanks from 1963 to 1965.
The money was good, the Comradeship even better !
I remained as 3rd Mate, and on my last Voyage with BP,mv"British Guardsman" had the good fortune to sail with Roger Woodcock, later to become a Master with BP. I chose to leave Seafaring at the end of my Contract, and emigrated to NZ with my wife, and went into other employment.
Right now , I have set about Painting pictures of the ships I sailed on, for my youngest daughter, since she was the only one of 4# kids, who took the slightest interest in my Seafaring days.
Can anyone enlighten me, why I still have it firmly fixed in my skull, that the Guardsman carried 96,000 tons of Crude, when her Records on line show her Deadweight as 50,000 tons ?

billyboy
13th March 2015, 03:32
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Bruros
13th March 2015, 03:58
Hi Mate....thanks for the welcome ! Hasta la Vista the 'noo, Bruce G

GWB
13th March 2015, 07:14
Welcome aboard From Brisbane enjoy the trip and what this great site has to offer.

Cwatcher
13th March 2015, 09:39
Guardsman was definitely a 50,000 ton DWT. (She was an SS by the way, not an MV). You would have had a few overflows if you had tried to squeeze 96,000 tons into her!

I was Senior Apprentice in 1962 when I sailed on the first of that class, the Queen. Never got more than 50 odd thousand tons into her.

Welcome aboard!

Graham Wallace
13th March 2015, 16:18
Hi Y' All !
I served a two year Contract with BP Tanks from 1963 to 1965.
The money was good, the Comradeship even better !
I remained as 3rd Mate, and on my last Voyage with BP,mv"British Guardsman" had the good fortune to sail with Roger Woodcock, later to become a Master with BP. I chose to leave Seafaring at the end of my Contract, and emigrated to NZ with my wife, and went into other employment.
Right now , I have set about Painting pictures of the ships I sailed on, for my youngest daughter, since she was the only one of 4# kids, who took the slightest interest in my Seafaring days.
Can anyone enlighten me, why I still have it firmly fixed in my skull, that the Guardsman carried 96,000 tons of Crude, when her Records on line show her Deadweight as 50,000 tons ?

Welcome to SN.

I have a crew list for the Guardian leaving drydock Mid August/October 1965, Master is H Evans and there is a 3M listed, I guess you were not on her then though. CO was DG Buckley who later became a BP Commodore. I know a few who were on her at that time.

I was in touch with Roger Woodcock in Feb 2013, I think he was a 1954 BP Navigating Apprentice so presume he is still with us.

I'll send you a shipsnostalgia email

Graham

R58484956
13th March 2015, 16:33
Greetings Bruce and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Graham Wallace
14th March 2015, 00:03
Welcome to SN.

I have a crew list for the Guardian leaving drydock Mid August/October 1965, Master is H Evans and there is a 3M listed, I guess you were not on her then though. CO was DG Buckley who later became a BP Commodore. I know a few who were on her at that time.

I was in touch with Roger Woodcock in Feb 2013, I think he was a 1954 BP Navigating Apprentice so presume he is still with us.

I'll send you a shipsnostalgia email

Graham

Ooops, I meant Guardsman.

Graham