Greetings everyone!

Atkinson
13th March 2007, 21:40
Hi,

After serving a five year apprenticeship at the Sunderland marine engine builder Wm Doxford and Son. Sailed with the Bank Line, where I started as a sixth Engineer and climbed through the ranks to Chief Engineer. Then was promoted to Superintendend engineer looking helping to look after some 60 general cargo ships of the fleet; in various capacities including repairs, new-building, area superintendent (Singapore) respectively.

After leaving Andrew Weir was Technical Manager in the Off-shore industry, was Technical and Managing Director of Engineering Companies engaged in the design and building of engineering projects and latterly was managing director of a marine engineering consultancy and survey company; with contracts with the major shipping and offshore companies. An ex Presidient of the Society of Consulting Marine Engineers and past Chairman of the North East joint branch of the Institute of Marine Engineering Science and Technology and The Royal Institute of Naval Architects.

Now retired and enjoying golf gardening grandchildren and globetrotting and chatting with ex colleagues worldwide!

Apart from that, quite a quiet life really!

Best wishes

benjidog
13th March 2007, 22:01
Welcome to SN.

I think there must be a fair chance that you will bump into someone you know amongst our members given your background.

In any case I hope you enjoy the site and suggest you take a good look around the forums and Gallery.

Regards,

Brian

thunderd
13th March 2007, 23:10
A warm welcome Atkinson, you'll find plenty to interest you here and I hope you enjoy it.

Gulpers
14th March 2007, 06:11
Atkinson,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

R58484956
14th March 2007, 17:14
Greetings and welcome Atkinson from an ex Cunard engineer although not quite as qualified as yourself, you have done yourself well, congratulations. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer. Bon voyage.

Joe Freeman
15th March 2007, 05:37
Welcome aboard Atkinson we all have something in common at this site, ships and engines.
All the best,
Joe.