Georgetown, Guyana

Maroni
14th March 2007, 21:36
Good Afternoon my fellow salties,
I'm wondering if any of you ever sailed into Port Georgetown,Guyana in the last 25 years. My father was Harbour Master there for 14 years. I was exposed to the Merchant Marine life at an early age, and thus fell in love with the sea.I had the privilege to board many ships from all over the world and to chat with lots of fine officers and sailors alike. Some of my favourite ships were from Nedlloyd,Booker,Mini,Sagunay,Mercadian,Tecmarine and all of the bulk carriers that moved Bauxite from Linden which is up the Demerara river and Everton which is on the Berbice river. A few names come to mind.
MV.Baro,Baldo,Barwa from H.K lines,i think... MV.Arrowcane,Bissuruni,
Mombaka,Manaka and Arrowcane2 from Guybulk/HK Norway.Under the Greek flag we had MV.Ment Ambission,Evpo Wave which later changed to the Ceylan
Wave and her sistership the M.V Hadiotis.Also flying the Greek flag was a ship
MV.Kaptain Nicolas.Oh my goodness i could go on and on.I'm interested in two vessels that traded in our waters (1) MV Mosel flying the German flag and(2) one of the very last vessels my father piloted out of Port Georgetown before retiring the MV Watergeus.A photo or info on these two vessels would be very much appreciated. Great site,lovely articles and pictures.I like to think those special moments i shared with my late father mean more when i see websites such as yours. Keep up the good work.

non descript
14th March 2007, 21:45
Maroni, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, you will find plenty to analyze here, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

Derek Roger
14th March 2007, 21:48
Sorry was there in 76 on the MV Mahsud .
Very dangerous place in those days at night . Hope someone has the information you are looking for .
Derek

duquesa
14th March 2007, 23:30
Can't help you I'm afraid. My time in and out of there was earlier still, in the sixties. Went in for frozen shrimps and loaded them directly from the shrimpers. As said above, was then a nasty place to go ashore after dark. It was also a hairy old bar to get over at times. I believe it was improved later. Hope you get what you're after - be good to have a photographic record of some of you Father's ships.

thunderd
15th March 2007, 00:26
Maroni welcome from Tasmania and I wish you good luck with your search.

eldersuk
15th March 2007, 00:34
Was in and out of Georgetown in the early sixties on charter to Saguenay on Paddy Henderson's 'Sunjarv' carrying calcine from Mackenzie to wherever.

Derek

Gulpers
15th March 2007, 05:56
Maroni,

......and a warm welcome to the site from me too!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

R58484956
15th March 2007, 11:00
Greetings Maroni from the south of England. enjoy the site. Bon voyage.

benjidog
15th March 2007, 11:42
Welcome from the North of England.

I hope someone will be able to help with your request and that you will enjoy the site now you have found us.

Regards,

Brian

lakercapt
15th March 2007, 15:44
Was a long time ago I was in that wonderful place.
1956 was that first time as we were on the shuttle from McKenzie to Charguramas in Trinadad.
Fell in love with the local product (Demerra Rum) later and was aghast to hear that out of the 40+ distilleries there are only one left.
Long live El Dorado Distilleries.
Welcome the site
Bill

janbonde
15th March 2007, 21:06
Welcome to the site visited there a few times with Saguenay on the Canada run also spent time like Lakercapt above on the shuttle during the winter months to Trinidad ,and a few hours on the bar at the river mouth once ,enjoy the site and all it offers

niggle
17th March 2007, 18:08
Welcome Maroni,

Sampled the delights of Georgetown in 76 and 80 suggest you check out a relatively new website for Booker Line who you will remember well no doubt. General cargo in and bulk sugar out.

www.bookerline.com

Niggle

Bill Lambert
17th March 2007, 22:18
Hi Maroni,
Did your dad ever sail as Mate with Thos & Jas Harrison & Co ?.

Keith Adams
19th March 2007, 05:01
Harrisons regularily called at Georgetown to discharge general cargo and reload with Bulk Sugar... was there in 1960 a couple of voyages... I worked nights so went ashore to sleep at the Mission to Seamen each morning ... "Scholar" had steam winches and it was too hot to get a decent rest. Of possible interest to you is that on the November 1960 into January 1961 voyage aboard the "Scholar" where we loaded bulk sugar in Puerto Padre (Cuba) and topped off in Havana; the sole Cadet was the Trinidad Pilot's son... sorry I can't recall his name but he was a keen fellow and must have done well. Regards, Snowy

Peter (Pat) Baker
19th March 2007, 13:25
Snowy,
I also sailed with the son of the Trinidad Pilot. That was also in Harrison Line but he was 3rd Officer by then. Was his name Pat something.
I remember the 3rd Eng. (Gearge Ashton) had us all weight training for a while.
Pat Baker.

Allan Wareing
19th March 2007, 14:25
Harrisons regularily called at Georgetown to discharge general cargo and reload with Bulk Sugar... was there in 1960 a couple of voyages... I worked nights so went ashore to sleep at the Mission to Seamen each morning ... "Scholar" had steam winches and it was too hot to get a decent rest. Of possible interest to you is that on the November 1960 into January 1961 voyage aboard the "Scholar" where we loaded bulk sugar in Puerto Padre (Cuba) and topped off in Havana; the sole Cadet was the Trinidad Pilot's son... sorry I can't recall his name but he was a keen fellow and must have done well. Regards, Snowy

Snowy,
Called there a couple of times in 1949 when I was 3rd Mate in Harrisons "Comedian", Remember the rum very well. Regards Allan

Gerry Whitehead
19th March 2007, 14:34
Hi Snowy The Cadets name was Patrick Potter or as he was nicknamed Trinidad Potter

THALES
6th April 2007, 20:15
Hi,

Did Georgetown with Sugarline many times

Regards
ivor

tarradale
6th April 2007, 21:47
I worked there for about five years with J P Knight towing bauxite barges from the berbice round to Georgetown and sometimes up to chagaramos, loved the place but it did not last, the world bank built a port in the berbice river and a 150,000 ton bulk carrier was moored there as a store and the smaller bulk carriers (60,000 ton) loaded from her for emden or texas mostly.
The main shipping company was Southern shipping Co (Greek) all the names ended in wind. I remember the Arrowcane was the depot ship in Georgetown. The only berth deep enough to take us was the sugar terminal and we had a free berth there anytime as long as we washed down the loading gantries with the fire monitors. Georgetown was safe enough if you went everywhere by taxi and in New Amsterdam any time of the day or night.
Finally hallo to laker capt I was with his first trip in Robertsons in the Cameo, I left to go for my 2nd mates ticket and went to supply boats where I have been on an off for nearly 40 years. You must be ready to retire now Willie!! I am.
best regards

Maroni
22nd April 2009, 10:33
Hello folks.glad to back on the site again.i had some major family issues to tend to.thanks for all the kind welcoming words.i did run into a few folks in nyc one day who worked for Saguenay and Klavaness way back in the 80's. Great pic's.
I have a few i would like to share as well.God bless all.

Fieldsy
22nd April 2009, 12:59
Hello folks.glad to back on the site again.i had some major family issues to tend to.thanks for all the kind welcoming words.i did run into a few folks in nyc one day who worked for Saguenay and Klavaness way back in the 80's. Great pic's.
I have a few i would like to share as well.God bless all.

I was there quite often on Harrison boats in the early to mid 70s. When we left we'd go up river a bit and then approach the bar at speed. Once over it, we'd stop and clear all of the sand out of the sea filters - full of small crabs and shrimp.
It was one long party for the 3 or 4 days we'd be there. A group of local ladies would descend and for a young single man it was heaven!

Pat bourke
22nd April 2009, 16:11
Hi Maroni,
I was in Georgetown on my first trip to sea. Was on T&J Harrrisons Statesman. This was Oct. 1974. We loaded Timber there. Cheers Pat.

mattina
24th April 2009, 11:57
Same here. Went there on the Sugar Producer in 1978 on my first trip to sea. Spent 3 weeks there loading sugar. Some of the crew got robbed in a bar in town. One of the locals working on the ship invited us to his house for drinks and something to eat but he and his friends always walked us back to the ship at night as it wasn't to safe to be out on your own.

jimtar17
24th April 2009, 14:53
Hi Maroni
Your letter brought a lot of good memories back to me . One of the best times I experienced while at sea , was a trip to Georgetown on the Booker ship Arakaka in 1963 . what should have been a short trip to load Demarara sugar and rum became quite a long haul , as the country came to a standstill with a general strike . and we were stuck there for 3 months. great time was had by all . much too much rum consumed !!
Try the Booker line site for more up to date gen . They are actually having a reunion in Liverpool next month.
Best regards from JIM

Fieldsy
24th April 2009, 16:08
Hi Maroni,
I was in Georgetown on my first trip to sea. Was on T&J Harrrisons Statesman. This was Oct. 1974. We loaded Timber there. Cheers Pat.

Did two trips on the Staesman in 1977.

nautibuoy42
24th April 2009, 20:50
Did a couple of stops there late 50s early 60s, when it was still British Guyana, good run ashore, saying that, I got rolled there, watch, money & a good kicking, so remember the place quite well!

Keith Adams
26th April 2009, 04:39
Thanks for the great memories guys and kind responses on Patrick Potter aka "Trinidad Potter" - be neat if he was on this site.
Do you remember the Cargo Hold Cleaning Ladies who did the final sweep before we received clearance to load sugar ? In addition to the trunk-way ladders, we had ladders recessed on the inside of the hatch coaming - some of the ladies could not fit down a trunk-way and came over the coaming instead - rear ends so big they would briefly block daylight ! One I fondly remember, called down below as she swung her butt over "Don't Peek !"... still causes me to chuckle. I joined Harrison's just for the chance to sail on a "Liberty Ship", before they all disappeared - sailed as 3rd Mate with a 1st Mate ticket - everyone else had Master and that was at a time when other companies were having a hard time finding Mates - just goes to show what good food and relief conditions could do - relief crew boarded in the locks so that one could go home, all clean and packed, as soon as the gangway touched the berth. Oh happy days ! Snowy (Keith)

john dodd
26th April 2009, 13:58
hi salties, I was in Georgetown on Athelcrest many times in '70. Loading molasses for various U.S. gulf @ eastcast ports. Was also there on Beaverfir in '71 on Saguenay charter, loaded cases of 4 bell's rum. Also remember allhand's ashore in Cambridge Hotel !! girls, booze, down stairs, and all sorts of shenanegans upstairs. Oh what a life we had. best regards, john dodd. R753573.

Fieldsy
26th April 2009, 15:15
hi salties, I was in Georgetown on Athelcrest many times in '70. Loading molasses for various U.S. gulf @ eastcast ports. Was also there on Beaverfir in '71 on Saguenay charter, loaded cases of 4 bell's rum. Also remember allhand's ashore in Cambridge Hotel !! girls, booze, down stairs, and all sorts of shenanegans upstairs. Oh what a life we had. best regards, john dodd. R753573.

The Cambridge! There's a name I'd forgotten. When Georgetown became dangerous we'd send a taxi driver up to the Cambridge and ask him to bring back a selection of their finest.

billyt
28th April 2009, 13:22
Hi Maroni,
My first Deep sea trip on the Booker Venture 1964 was to Georgetown.
i think they where getting there Independence in 65 the Liverpool Kings Reg
was there so we were invited to one of there party's i think it was safe to go
a shore at the time with the Army being there. lovely place used to go to seaman's mission and use there loungers to sun bath. Regards Billyt.