Sailing with different companies

wayoutwest
16th March 2007, 06:54
g/day from oz (australia).i am new to this sight and thought i would say hi.i hve never worked at sea as when i left school containerisation was taking place and jobs were being lost.but i grew up by the sea at poole dorset and moved to oz 25 years ago.but i do have a question,when you joined up did you have any choice in the company that you worked for?and what were the difference between the lines like british india,blue star, blue funnel,etc.my own choice would have been BI some of there ships beutiful. mike PS a bloody good sight(Thumb)

billyboy
16th March 2007, 07:28
Hi mike and welcome aboard mate. enjoy all this great site has to offer. I am sure someone will have the answers to your questions very soon.

non descript
16th March 2007, 09:01
Mike, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

R58484956
16th March 2007, 11:36
Greetings and welcome Mike from the south of England.Enjoy the site and bon voyage. I always sailed with the company that I wanted, had no problems whatsoever, you joined the company that took you to the part of the world you wanted to see next, well at least I did.

Gulpers
16th March 2007, 11:54
Mike,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

benjidog
16th March 2007, 12:15
Welcome from Lancashire Mike.

Enjoy the site.

I suggest you read through some of the threads on here and you will learn a lot about the experiences of those that went to sea.

Regards,

Brian

quietman
16th March 2007, 19:50
Hi Mike. In answer to your question it depended on how you joined. In my day the early seventies you could join via the british shipping federation in which case it was pot luck to which ship and company you were given after finishing training or you could get yourself sponsored for your training by a shipping company and join on of their ships after training. Must say this was for ratings and not for officers. If you joined via the federation you could pick and choose to a certain extent after your first trip. Hope this helps. Derrick

Graham McMorine
16th March 2007, 20:52
Hi Mike, hope you enjoy the site, it gets very addictive. In answer to your question and from an engineers point of view, if you did not serve a shipping company apprenticeship/ cadetship, the usual way of entering the M.N. was to serve an apprenticeship in a parallel type industry, ie. I.C.I., British Rail, and the like. When you finished your apprenticeship( usually at the age of 21 ) you had to obtain a "Board of Trade" grading, which was an oral examination to accertain which type of training and technical qualifications you had obtained. This was done to establish the amount of "sea time" you had to serve before you could sit your 2nd. Engineers Certificate.
Once you had a grading you could write to which ever Company you fancied sailing with, in the hope they would take you on. In my case P&O of Southampton and Alfred Holt of Liverpool. Unfortuneatly, I obtained an interview with both companies on the same day at the same time. I chose Liverpool, being closer to home! This is how it worked for me and I loved every second of being at sea.
Regards Graham

Keith Adams
19th March 2007, 07:47
Hello Mike, In 1951 one had to have a sponsor steamship company before being accepted at a Port City Nautical College and that meant having a contact in a particular company. In my case I passed the written and oral scholarship test in Liverpool competing against boys from all over the country ... I think I was accepted more because I was local as only three of us Merseysiders showed up in the crowd and all three got into the group of 25 boys finally selected.. all 16 years old at the time and fresh out of High School with School Certificate.
In my case I almost got dropped as it was only in the last week before the
the Cadet Course commenced that I was accepted by P.S.N.C.. Additionally, when the course ended 6 months later I waited over a month to be assigned
a ship and was about to sign with Elder Dempsters (referred by Capt.Steer an Instructor) when PSNC came through... I wanted EDs but my Mom was scared I would get Malaria or Yellow Fever... one took what one could get!