Richie Benaud

dave beaumont
10th April 2015, 03:29
Richie Benaud passed away this morning aged 84. A great test cricketer, commentator and gentleman. R.I.P

cornishman70
10th April 2015, 03:39
He made a great contribution to the game of cricket, both on the field, and as a respected commentator. Sadly missed. RIP.

Gerald Jackson
10th April 2015, 06:15
He made a great contribution to the game of cricket, both on the field, and as a respected commentator. Sadly missed. RIP.

A true Australian gentleman,R.I.P.

Dartskipper
10th April 2015, 06:43
A remarkable record as a player and Test Captain, and a legend of the broadcasting world. A true gentleman who will be greatly missed. R.I.P.

willincity
10th April 2015, 07:00
May he RIP,
Watched him play and skipper Australia at the Leeds Test matched in the 60's.
It was an education watching him set a field for each English bat that came to the crease, a very intelligent player and a delight to watch.

As for his commentary he ranked right up there with Laker, Trevor Bailey, John Arlott and Johnston they all knew the value of understatement.

"And Glenn McGrath dismissed for two, just 98 runs short of his century"

Tribute to the man from the players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDIPA9edNws#t=11

George McCaffery
10th April 2015, 08:08
A great cricketer, for me the best commentator ever and a true gentleman.

Moulder
10th April 2015, 08:23
Sounds of Summer - will miss him.

expats
10th April 2015, 09:05
Very sad day for cricket....I'll just agree with the sentiments of those who have posted before me...

KEITH SEVILLE
10th April 2015, 09:21
I have watched him for many years as a commentator of cricket giving a
great commentary especially of the Test Matches.
Used to listen to him when Sky TV began and he was always interesting to listen to.
You will be greatly missed Richie and may you now rest in peace.

Pat Kennedy
10th April 2015, 11:10
A remarkeable man.
A brilliant and very intelligent and tactically aware player, a superb commentator, often very amusing in his dry, understated way, and the complete antithesis of more rugged and brash Australian sportsmen.
I will miss his often used remark on witnessing some witless piece of play,
"Well, you wouldn't believe it."

RIP Richie Benaud

R719220
10th April 2015, 11:35
Right up there with those other two greats of commentators, John Arlott and Jim Laker......(not entirely forgetting Brian Johnston).

JoeQ
10th April 2015, 11:58
Not afraid to give his opinion of Aussies poor sportsmanship when deserved either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIjCpPStHnE

Keith Adkins
10th April 2015, 12:36
Methinks there is only Peter Alliss left of the really great sports commentators who knew the value of keeping their mouth shut, and allowing the action on the field/course/links to inform!

ALAN TYLER
10th April 2015, 20:44
The passing of a true gentleman, RIP Richie and thoughts to his family.

Long gone
10th April 2015, 21:31
Methinks there is only Peter Alliss left of the really great sports commentators who knew the value of keeping their mouth shut, and allowing the action on the field/course/links to inform!

Took the art of commentating to new levels. Let the action speak for itself, only needing to summarise at the end of an over, or after an incident. A great exponent of 'If there's nothing important to say, say nothing'

ben27
11th April 2015, 00:04
RICHIE BENAUD,great sportsman.may he rest in peace,my condolences to his wife and family.regards ben27

RogertheLodger
11th April 2015, 07:52
Although Richie has passed his legend will long remain. Not only a great cricket all-rounder and accomplished commentator of the game, he was a true sportsman and gentleman both on and off the field.

As far as playing cricket is concerned his fellow countrymen are still great exponents of the game, but, as their recent World Cup performance would attest, they no longer understand the true meaning of sportsmanship, humility and good grace. Had they cared to pay attention they would have learnt a great deal from Richie Benaud, a master in all three 'disciplines'. May he rest in peace.

nhp651
12th April 2015, 17:40
I have to make light of Richie's passing as I don't think he would want people to go into mourning of his passing, rather than look at his presence as a great inspiration to those that follow him.......and I have to say.........

Richie's wonderful, calm and peaceful voice late at night whilst listening to the tests on radio coming live from Ozz where the greatest lilt for the insomniac one could ever wish for............he could send you off to sleep quicker than watching Geoff Boycott in the crease, lol

no taking away from him though that he was the man who made cricket , at times worth watching........a brilliant man who knew his stuff, and never a summer has gone past since he retired from commentating in the mid 2000's that I haven't missed him.