Hello

Henry Silka
20th March 2007, 05:19
Not being all that adept at using a computer, it took me a while to find this Say Hello Forum.

I have already made a short statement about myself when I registered. I will repeat some of it here.

I am a 75-year-old retired technical editor/writer who lives in Los Angeles, California, U.S.A., and have an ongoing interest in things maritime in general, but mostly in 19th-century maritime history, including the American sailing navy of the late 1700s and early 1800s. My current area of research is shipbuilders of Brooklyn, New York, which is now part of New York City (as Greenwich is part of London?). I have one published article to my credit (on problems encountered in while researching because of the similarity on names of two nearby communities), and an article now at the publisher, about Brooklyn shipbuilders.

I am also involved in researching California maritime history and am a research associate at the Los Angeles Maritime Museum.

At the moment I have a question that is out of my usual area of research. It is about the wartime voyages of the RMS Queen Mary. Can anyone tell me if there is a publication that lists here voyages during World War II? Specifically, I want to find out where she was between April and August 1942. The only books I have found so far are The Mary: The Inevitable Ship, by Neil Potter and Jack Frost (London, 1961) and The Queens of the North Atlantic, by Robert Lacey (London, 1873). Both discuss her wartime voyages, but only in a general way.

Can anyone help me with this?

Regards,

Henry Silka

non descript
20th March 2007, 08:49
Henry, a warm welcome to you. You are doing just fine and I hope you get some useful replies to your Queen Mary question. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

R58484956
20th March 2007, 09:28
Greetings Henry and welcome from the south of England, where once the QM was based. Enjoy the site and all that goes with it. Bon voyage.

benjidog
20th March 2007, 19:24
Welcome to SN from the North of England.

I am sure that someone on the site will be able to help with your query.

Take a good look around - I am sure you will find plenty you will find interesting.

Regards,

Brian

rstimaru
20th March 2007, 19:53
Welcome to the site. I served on the Queen Mary in the sixties There was a ships cook called Jimmy Wheelan who served on from her launch to his retirement and he used to say in those years she did a lot of trooping from Australia to Trincomalee hope this helps Bob

Gulpers
20th March 2007, 23:09
Henry,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
I am sure that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around the site. (Thumb)

jim brindley
21st March 2007, 08:24
wellcome henry from oz

gdynia
22nd March 2007, 06:56
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage