hello to ship mates mv el lobo

ellobo
9th April 2007, 23:15
hi whould like to say hy to any crew who sailed on mv el lobo adout 1970 .
remember sailing throygh panama canal about xmas time great ship and crew
happy time on her. bill.

benjidog
9th April 2007, 23:41
Welcome to SN from Lancashire Bill,

I hope you catch up with old friends here or someone can put you in touch.

In any case please take the time to have a good look around the site as I am sure you will find plenty of interest here.

Regards,

Brian

thunderd
10th April 2007, 00:23
Good to have you aboard Bill, I hope you enjoy the site.

gdynia
10th April 2007, 04:00
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

non descript
10th April 2007, 07:30
Bill, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

R58484956
10th April 2007, 17:14
Greetings Bill and welcome to the site. Enjoy what yousee. Bon voyage.

ellobo
11th April 2007, 22:40
thanks to every one who welcomed me on my first day.

Trevorw
11th April 2007, 23:28
happy time on her. bill.

Bill,

Bit of a long shot, but in the fifties I sailed on a tanker named, "El Mirlo", owned by Lobitos oilfields of Peru and managed by C.T. Bowring - any connection? If not, welcome to the site anyway!

ellobo
12th April 2007, 00:35
hi, the same company el lobo was a tanker managed by bowring steam ship company and lobitos oil.cheers, bill.

ruud
12th April 2007, 13:51
Ahoy ellobo,
Welcome,here your EL LOBO 1959
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/1746/ellobo1959mediumah1.th.jpg (http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ellobo1959mediumah1.jpg)

ellobo
13th April 2007, 11:30
thanks for photo ruud.

rothesian
14th April 2007, 10:40
El Lobo was a regular caller at Stanlow in the Manchester Ship Canal - heavy crude from South america for Burmah Oil Co.

ellobo
14th April 2007, 20:20
hy. thats where i joined el lobo at stanlaw ,sailed to south america for oil.
thanks (rothesion)

ogdenm
27th August 2008, 16:10
My late father Michael Ogden (died 24/11/2001) was Captain of the El Lobo (I think it was previously named Regent Caribou) - I went aboard her a few (I'm Mark) along with my mum; brother (Colin) and sister (Pam)

MaydayMcKay
28th August 2008, 02:00
I was junior R/O on El Lobo July to November 1972. I remember the Old Man was V. Piper but there was another OM, can't remember his name and signature in discharge book is obscure.

John.

ogdenm
28th August 2008, 08:53
Others OM were Ken Lyall, Roy 'Tubby' Knowles. Don't know if they are still around - I spoke to Captain Piper when my father died and also to Ken Lyall. Both naturally well retired at the time - Piper lived on the Wirral and Lyall on the West Coast of Scotland.

Peter4447
28th August 2008, 10:40
Others OM were Ken Lyall, Roy 'Tubby' Knowles. Don't know if they are still around - I spoke to Captain Piper when my father died and also to Ken Lyall. Both naturally well retired at the time - Piper lived on the Wirral and Lyall on the West Coast of Scotland.

Hi ogdenm
I assume you are referring to Captain Roy Knowles of Bowrings.
It is my sad duty to inform you that Roy had not been well for sometime and that he 'crossed the bar' here in Brixham just 3 weeks ago.
One of life's true gentleman.
Peter4447

ogdenm
29th August 2008, 14:05
The m stands for Mark - I fondly remember Roy - he was 1st mate to my dad on a number of occasions before he got his command; never saw him unhappy, always approachable even though I was but a lad sailing as a 'supernumary' steward, freeloading a holiday with my dad.

ellobo
18th October 2008, 22:12
happy time on her. bill.

i also sailed on mv cheviot as junior engineer in 1969 c. eng was j.h.patterson was a nice ship to work on.

mike lane
6th February 2015, 00:38
I sailed on the Ellobo in summer 1972. I was a catering boy when I joined the ship. I thought the ship was very friendly looking when I boarded her at Stanlow Oil refinery. I remember the small swimming pool, which I think was forward. We had boiler problems and were stuck in Curacao for three weeks while engineers sorted it out. I spent many an evening walking around Willemstad. About a week into our stay at Curacao the passenger liner Empress of Canada came in and docked across the harbour from us. One afternoor three or four of us went across the EC because our mess man, Dicky Spring, knew crew on the EC. Anyway we got to the EC and went for a drink in the crews bar. When it was time to go Dicky, who was drunk, decided to swim back to our ship. He went up to the passenger deck about 30 or 40 feet from the water and dived in. I tried to stop him but his mates held me back. Dick died that day, he hit the water wrong and broke his neck. We buried him in Curacao in one of those hole in the wall graves. I was one of the coffin bearers. Does anyone remember this?

Cutsplice
7th February 2015, 08:35
That was a very sad experience for you Mike, especially when you were so young. Sadly silly ideas have resulted in many sad events both for the victim and others who were with them. I am sure someone on here will recall the event as the EoC would have had a large crew and the information of the event would have circulated round the vessel.

ymint2k
19th July 2015, 13:37
hi could anybody tell me about my dad bill steele who was an engineer on ellobo it would be appreciated his son BRIAN STEELE

ymint2k
25th July 2015, 15:00
hi could anybody tell me about my dad bill steele who was an engineer on ellobo it would be appreciated his son BRIAN STEELE[/QUOTE]

steve broadbridge
24th April 2016, 18:26
happy time on her. bill.

Hello Bill, I was on the El Lobo about this time, we went through Canal 4 times and if I remember we had a collision off a barge loading in Cabo Blanco Peru and also picked up 4 people who had been travelling thru America and Sth America on a London Routemaster bus. I was a Steward serving officers mess Steve

steve broadbridge
24th April 2016, 18:30
hy. thats where i joined el lobo at stanlaw ,sailed to south america for oil.
thanks (rothesion)

Hello, I sailed to America & Sth America on a long trip we ended up bringing some Brits home after they lost their bus in a river, Steve

Bob Cook
24th April 2016, 21:11
40 years ago this week (20/4/1976) joined El Lobo on the Tees. Holland then North American East Coast before returning to Stanlow. My very first trip as deck boy and sadly the last for El Lobo. She went from Stanlow to Scotland to be cut up.

davann87
6th January 2017, 13:35
Hi my name is Dave Culverhouse I was an EDH on the EL Lobo from December 1970 to March 1971.

price
7th January 2017, 08:56
When I sailed in the Helmsman, we lightened the El Lobo (for draught purposes) whilst anchored in the Mersey, we took one or two loads of crude oil up to Stanlow before she made her way up to discharge the remainder of her cargo.
I joined the El Gallo in Mountstewart drydocks in Cardiff in October 1956 but owing to a delay of completion of work on the ship, I was sent by the pool to join the British Workman and sailed a couple of days before the start of the Suez Crisis. Bruce.