Hello from Yorkshire

swilsonburgess
14th April 2007, 18:47
Hello Everyone,
A few words about myself , an ex lorry driver who spent every lunch/ tachograph break as near the docks/ wharf/ canal as he could get ! my heyday was in 1995 when I delivered tyres to Norfolk/ Suffolk
on a good day I could record ships at HOWDEN DYKE, FOSDYKE, SUTTON BRIDGE, KINGS LYNN, NORWICH,Gt YARMOUTH/GORLESTON, LOWESTOFT
occasionally IPSWICH and WISBECH, then on the return KINGS LYNN, SUTTON BRIDGE ,FOSDYKE and HOWDEN DYKE, this was on Monday Wednesday and Fridays, Tuesday would see me in LIVERPOOL,BIRKENHEAD and ELLESMERE PORT, Thursday was a trip to Taunton, but with a stop off at PORTBURY DOCKS !

In the following years I was posted to the North West Area
The LAKE DISTRICT, WORKINGTON WHITEHAVEN, BARROW IN F, MORECAMBE,
FLEETWOOD, PRESTON,MANCHESTER (TRAFFORD PARK/ BARTON/IRLAM/PARTINGTON)

Occasionally deputising for The NORTH EAST- BLYTH, WHITLEY BAY, North and South SHIELDS,WALLSEND ,TYNE QUAY, NEWCASTLE QUAY, TEESPORT/MIDDLESBOROUGH and The NORTH LINCS GRIMSBY, IMMINGHAM, BOSTON

It was a good seven years `being paid to take photographs and deliver a few
tyres off between film changes ! !

Now I have a steady Night Shift Job which pays well but alas I do not get the salt in my eyes , occasionally if the wife has a day off work we may call at HOWDEN DYKE, GUNNESS GRANGE, FLIXBOROUGH & KEADBY !
to quote Wallace n Grommitt " A grand day out "

Hobbies Modelling Ships and Aircraft, Photography, and Trawling through mountains of old note( log ) books trying to get it all in print before its too late,

Motto "FIT AND WELL AND FULL OF HELL !"

Favourite Phrase " Life is for REAL it is not a rehearsal - do it now ! "

Well thats me in a nut shell ! oh yes married and we have a cat ! ha ha

My reasons for joining - Just interested in anything that floats or doesn`t

Please feel free to contact me any time

Steve Wilson-Burgess

R58484956
14th April 2007, 19:21
Greetings Steve and a warm welcome to the site from the south of England.
Thank you for your history, most of us on this site left the sea many years ago but our minds are still there. Look forward to seeing some of your photos. Bon voyage.

Pat Thompson
14th April 2007, 19:22
Welcome Mon Brave,

If you enjoy this site half as much as I do you will find you dont have time to drive your lorries

Aye

Pat Thompson

non descript
14th April 2007, 19:24
Steve, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

Hamish Mackintosh
14th April 2007, 19:33
Hello Everyone,
A few words about myself , an ex lorry driver who spent every lunch/ tachograph break as near the docks/ wharf/ canal as he could get ! my heyday was in 1995 when I delivered tyres to Norfolk/ Suffolk
on a good day I could record ships at HOWDEN DYKE, FOSDYKE, SUTTON BRIDGE, KINGS LYNN, NORWICH,Gt YARMOUTH/GORLESTON, LOWESTOFT
occasionally IPSWICH and WISBECH, then on the return KINGS LYNN, SUTTON BRIDGE ,FOSDYKE and HOWDEN DYKE, this was on Monday Wednesday and Fridays, Tuesday would see me in LIVERPOOL,BIRKENHEAD and ELLESMERE PORT, Thursday was a trip to Taunton, but with a stop off at PORTBURY DOCKS !

In the following years I was posted to the North West Area
The LAKE DISTRICT, WORKINGTON WHITEHAVEN, BARROW IN F, MORECAMBE,
FLEETWOOD, PRESTON,MANCHESTER (TRAFFORD PARK/ BARTON/IRLAM/PARTINGTON)

Occasionally deputising for The NORTH EAST- BLYTH, WHITLEY BAY, North and South SHIELDS,WALLSEND ,TYNE QUAY, NEWCASTLE QUAY, TEESPORT/MIDDLESBOROUGH and The NORTH LINCS GRIMSBY, IMMINGHAM, BOSTON

It was a good seven years `being paid to take photographs and deliver a few
tyres off between film changes ! !

Now I have a steady Night Shift Job which pays well but alas I do not get the salt in my eyes , occasionally if the wife has a day off work we may call at HOWDEN DYKE, GUNNESS GRANGE, FLIXBOROUGH & KEADBY !
to quote Wallace n Grommitt " A grand day out "

Hobbies Modelling Ships and Aircraft, Photography, and Trawling through mountains of old note( log ) books trying to get it all in print before its too late,

Motto "FIT AND WELL AND FULL OF HELL !"

Favourite Phrase " Life is for REAL it is not a rehearsal - do it now ! "

Well thats me in a nut shell ! oh yes married and we have a cat ! ha ha

My reasons for joining - Just interested in anything that floats or doesn`t

Please feel free to contact me any time

Steve Wilson-Burgess

Welcome Aboard from an ex Yorkie (Leeds) Was sorry to see that Goole was not mentioned in your travel itinerary,but on reflection I must admit it was a wooden wheel town in the early 50's ,so I guess no need for a lorry load of tyres(Cloud)

gdynia
15th April 2007, 04:06
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

benjidog
15th April 2007, 17:41
Welcome to SN and thank you for taking the time to say a bit about yourself.

I am sure you will find lots of interest here and maybe you would like to share some of your photos with the membership.

Enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

cboots
16th April 2007, 01:09
Good to have a truckie in the crew. Welcome.
CBoots

swilsonburgess
17th April 2007, 13:54
How could I forget GOOLE ! (SENIOR MOMENT) ! my two favourite `comments` at goole 1/. I took my younger brother for a day out to the Docks @ Goole ( When you could wander around ,people were friendly, HEALTH & SAFETY was not Heard of - COMMONSENSE RULED ! and a `David Bailey `type was watching a coaster berthing , when the skipper engaged the bow thruster to neatly moor alongside the DB type was asking "why did he do that ? " to which the line handler (shore side) replied " probably because he cannot find REVERSE !"

the other cracker was when a young German Skipper was being piloted into Goole and commented " zis place is so old, und no modern facilities !"
Aye replied the Pilot Tha should blame thee Grand father ! to which the Skipper asked " mine Grand Father but why ?

The Pilot replied Well in the last war this was the only place NOT BOMBED BY THE LUFTWAFFE ! and did not have to be rebuilt !!

the German Skippers reply was drowned out by the horn of the "Goole Bight"

Goole was always good for barges especially the BOCM Selby xxxx fleet
and Harkers Tankers, not forgetting the ESL fleet (Phwoooor! )
and the three strangers LU, WIRRIS & WIGGS

Have a Good Week

Regards and Good Health

Steve Wilson-Burgess

Hamish Mackintosh
17th April 2007, 15:24
How could I forget GOOLE ! (SENIOR MOMENT) ! my two favourite `comments` at goole 1/. I took my younger brother for a day out to the Docks @ Goole ( When you could wander around ,people were friendly, HEALTH & SAFETY was not Heard of - COMMONSENSE RULED ! and a `David Bailey `type was watching a coaster berthing , when the skipper engaged the bow thruster to neatly moor alongside the DB type was asking "why did he do that ? " to which the line handler (shore side) replied " probably because he cannot find REVERSE !"

the other cracker was when a young German Skipper was being piloted into Goole and commented " zis place is so old, und no modern facilities !"
Aye replied the Pilot Tha should blame thee Grand father ! to which the Skipper asked " mine Grand Father but why ?

The Pilot replied Well in the last war this was the only place NOT BOMBED BY THE LUFTWAFFE ! and did not have to be rebuilt !!

the German Skippers reply was drowned out by the horn of the "Goole Bight"

Goole was always good for barges especially the BOCM Selby xxxx fleet
and Harkers Tankers, not forgetting the ESL fleet (Phwoooor! )
and the three strangers LU, WIRRIS & WIGGS

Have a Good Week

Regards and Good Health

Steve Wilson-Burgess

Bow thrusters? never heard of in my day! But those AHL skippers could put those old coal burners alongside as if they had five.The comment about not being bombed put me in mind of a skipper I was with in the "Seaford"old captain Stark,he would say when entering Seaham harbour,"How come we spend so much money going to the South Pacific to test atomic bombs when there are places like this on the map?" Keep up the Goole work H

Frank P
17th April 2007, 22:42
Welcome onboard Steve, enjoy the site.

Frank

trotterdotpom
18th April 2007, 00:28
How could I forget Goole....

I only ever passed through Goole by road and never got to know the place, but I recall Goole featuring in a TV series about English towns which most folk only knew from the football pools coupon.

The presenter visited these towns and found out all sorts of quirky details and unusual characters who dwelled in them. For example, in Goole he found a street sweeper, white and locally born, who spoke Swahili!

One of the people who stood out in the show was the jovial Captain of a Russian timber ship which was in port at the time. He was having a great time in a dockside pub. A few of the local girls, also interviewed in the pub, commented that they preferred Norwegian seamen to the English variety, apparently they were "gentlemen" and lit the cigarettes before they gave them to the girls. No doubt one of them got to try out a Russian before the night was out!

John T.

Hamish Mackintosh
18th April 2007, 01:18
One thing Goole was never short of was "local Girls" ( we are talking the 50's here)Norwegian seamen were scarce on the ground, and the only "Rusky" timber ship I ever saw in goole was "manned" by a full female crew ,and they kept a bloody great german shepard dog tied up at the top of the gangwayDon't know why, because they were all slab sided and as ugly sin (lol) H