Hello

Den
16th April 2007, 08:53
Hello,

I am new to this site, and was pointed in the right direction by one of your members, who I am most greatful too. Thanks Stan.
Now the reason I have joined is I have a Father who is still alive (I'm pleased to say) but has failing health & I want him to share his experiences with me, so I can have a better understanding of his life at Sea. My Father was trained at Phwelli North Wales, & then went to Chatham. He served on the Russian Convoys, and some how was in the Royal Navy & the Merchant Navy, I still haven't got to the bottom of that yet!!
He served on Fort Rampart, M.V. Dolabella, & S.S. Cameronia, however I have no idea about these ships or where he went on them.
I do know he was the Chairman of the DEMS Association, which held its meetings at Hanworth Middlesex Navy Club until recently, and if anyone out there attened these meetings I would love to hear from them, My dad was a gunner, and thanks to that he's deaf now, but he's always smiling, always has a cheeky grin(Jester) & if I can get his stories out of him, I will relay them to you on here.

Thankyou.

non descript
16th April 2007, 11:47
Den, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

R58484956
16th April 2007, 19:14
Greetings Den and welcome to the site. Enjoy what you see and join in. Bon voyage.

benjidog
16th April 2007, 19:43
Welcome to SN Den and please convey our best wishes to your father.

We would certainly like to hear his stories.

Regards,

Brian

oldbosun
16th April 2007, 23:33
DEMS (Defensive Armed Merchant Ships) gunners were Royal Navy ratings serving aboard British Merchant ships, and have a very proud 2WW record.
That's how your Dad served both RN and MN.

I'm pretty sure that "Dolabella" was a Shell tanker.

All best wishes to your Dad.

thunderd
17th April 2007, 00:04
Den thanks for the wonderful introduction and what wealth of knowledge of bygone days your dad must be. Good luck with your search.

gdynia
17th April 2007, 08:11
Welcome onboard to Sn and enjoy the voyage