Charles Kennedy

Dickyboy
2nd June 2015, 06:21
Charles Kennedy reported to have died this morning. 02/06/2015
One of the more human politicians I think.
RIP.

Dartskipper
2nd June 2015, 06:28
Condolences to his family and those close to him.

R.I.P.

Roy.

willincity
2nd June 2015, 07:06
A politician who actually spoke some sense, didn't always agree with the man but a very calming influence in heated debates.
Sadly I feel he will be remembered for the wrong reasons in time to come.
RIP Charles

expats
2nd June 2015, 07:34
A far better leader than Clegg...Sadly, alcohol and internal machinations, cost him the leadership....

Cutsplice
2nd June 2015, 07:40
Very sad to hear of the death of Charles, I met him in a bar in Manchester shortly after his election as an SDP MP, he was attending a conference at the university. I think he was the youngest MP at the time, a little shy but as the beer flowed he was quite relaxed and entertaining seemed very sincere.
Condolences to his loved ones.

Scelerat
2nd June 2015, 09:01
Indeed. One often hears of the passing of politicians, but very rarely does one hear of their passing with regret or any kind of personal feeling. I found the news of his passing this morning very upsetting.

Hugh MacLean
2nd June 2015, 09:21
Charles was a neighbour and friend and I am so sad to hear this news. My condolences to his family.

Hugh

Varley
2nd June 2015, 09:37
They don't show themselves but I suppose it is possible there are some other human and honest folk in the new parliament to replace him.

George II with General Wolfe and Lincoln with General Grant come to mind.

A councillor friend of mine was slung out after 21 years of honest and earnest toil in Liverpool not so long ago. My comfort message "Ungrateful Bastards - Saw result. Krauts obviously bombed wrong part of Liverpool"

Basil
2nd June 2015, 10:36
Pity TB (& GW) didn't listen to him before GW2.

Lochaber no more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uhcY-Acp7Y

frangio
2nd June 2015, 10:56
Very sad to hear of the death of Charles, I met him in a bar in Manchester shortly after his election as an SDP MP, he was attending a conference at the university. I think he was the youngest MP at the time, a little shy but as the beer flowed he was quite relaxed and entertaining seemed very sincere.
Condolences to his loved ones.

Heard on the radio this morning that one of his first questions when elected was "Do MPs get paid?". So many MPs are now career politicians and no doubt know exactly how much they can earn long before they get into the house!

Didn't always agree with him but respected him a lot. RIP

willincity
2nd June 2015, 12:48
Tributes from loads of MPs already, including Cameron and Hague. Nothing from IDS yet though. Wonder if he remembers this and decides it's better to stay quiet today:

"Gordon Brown is the biggest tax raiser in British history. But Charlie Kennedy wants to raise them even further... ...except on wines and spirits, of course."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/oct/09/conservatives2003.conservatives10

Ron Dean
2nd June 2015, 14:22
Very sad news. He was one of the few politicians who I believed to be honest & trustworthy. Condolances to his family & his friends of whom I'm sure there were many. RIP Charles.

Ron.

ninabaker
2nd June 2015, 20:26
Politics is an intrinsically unhealthy occupation. Irregular and late hours, snacking instead of proper meal times. The real surprise is that more politicians don't succumb like this.

The drink is commonplace, drugs even and lots of overweight politicos. Any politician without a solid home and family to support them is at high risk I think. Even the 'saintly' Donald Dewar died all too young.

I am retiring after 10 years, in 2017.

Nina

willincity
3rd June 2015, 08:42
Good, frank article in the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/11647244/Charles-Kennedy-lost-his-life-as-he-stood-on-brink-of-new-career-as-peer-and-EU-campaigner.html

jmcg
3rd June 2015, 14:28
I admired the man as an honest no nonsense politician in the wrong party.

He had good foresight - the Iraq invasion turned as he predicited and likewise the Libs entering into a coalition with the Tories effectively destructed them. He was the only (Liberal) who spoke out in public against such deals.

Politics is all the poorer with his passing.

RIP Mr Kennedy.

J