1965 - 1975 Beginning of the end?

mike barnard
25th April 2007, 22:36
I was lucky enough to see the end of break bulk and the traditional trades before box boats took all. Houlders, MacAndrews, UBC. Good days (now looking back) when watch keeping meant keeping watch, mates on the bridge 24/7 and engineers below 24/7.

non descript
25th April 2007, 22:44
Mike, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

non descript
25th April 2007, 22:44
Mike, would you like me to edit it to read Beginning ?

thunderd
26th April 2007, 01:03
Good to have you aboard Mike, the way you think you have certainly found a home here and I hope you enjoy it.

gdynia
26th April 2007, 05:28
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

cboots
26th April 2007, 09:55
Yes, my own time at sea encompassed those years and they were indeed good times. Pay and conditions had improved somewhat as had feeding and accomodation. What is more some of those late cargo liners were, in my opinion, some of the most beautiful ever built. Looking back on it all what I find amazing is just how complacent we all were. Containerisation was well under way by seventy five, tankers and bulkers were getting bigger and bigger, and Britain had joined the Common Market, as it then was, spelling the end for the old colonial trades. Fortunately I was no longer at sea in the early eighties when the Thatcher/Howe budgets banged the final nails in the coffin of the old red ensign fleet, but I was working on the shore management side of the industry and saw the utter indifference with which the government regarded shipping, ship building and related industries. The only time they showed any apparent concern was when Lloyds started to worry about foreign owners not being so keen to insure with them as the old British ones had been. And now it is pretty much all gone.
CBoots

K urgess
26th April 2007, 12:35
Welcome to the motley crew, Mike.
As you can see we all love a good argument.[=P]
I did 66 to 77 before I chickened out. It wasn't the same in the end and there was nothing I could do about it other than leave.
I don't regret the leaving because it had already left me high and dry on supertankers.
Kris

R58484956
26th April 2007, 21:20
A belated greetings and welcome Mike. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

benjidog
27th April 2007, 01:31
Welcome from Lancashire Mike.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Cap'n Pete
30th April 2007, 19:54
My own period at sea spans from 1967 to present. Times have changed and I've made the transition from conventional ships to container ships, seen the demise of the British seafarer and the fall of the red ensign into a flag-of-convenience. However, the sea is still the sea and the magic of a career at sea remains the same.

Pat McCardle
30th April 2007, 21:18
The magic of a career at sea might be OK when sailing as Master but what about all those cadets on 'British' ships under the tonnage tax system, longing for a career? Not a lot of magic there Peter, you must admit?

AlexBooth
3rd May 2007, 05:35
I´d agree, I came ashore in 76 after realizing through sales & non replacement of the Line´s ship´s, not to mention changing ownership a couple of times, I´d be up for retirement before I´d get my own ship. So instead of sailing, I worked & operated them and you know what ? I never had a red duster under my operations, even the Greeks demised over time. Had a packet of ex-soviets (after glasnoff) but mainly convienience flags with a hienz 57 variety of officers and crew. I felt for the poor buggers with just the Capt & Ch Off working 6 + 6 at sea and in port - I even spelled them on the coastal to try and help them out. Grim..... Anyone do time on the cement ships anchored off Nigeria, remember that fiasco fighting for sea time ?

Cap'n Pete
3rd May 2007, 07:40
The magic of a career at sea might be OK when sailing as Master but what about all those cadets on 'British' ships under the tonnage tax system, longing for a career? Not a lot of magic there Peter, you must admit?

Very true Pat. However, I recall seeing the 2 British cadets who survived the sinking of the MSC Napoli recently. Sailing with foreigners, on a flag-of-convenience ship that broke in two due after a shoddy repair job did not appear to have blunted their determination to continue their careers at sea. I maintain that no matter what the government and the MCA do to deter young people from going to sea, the sea is in our blood. They will not get rid of the British seafarer that easily!

AlexBooth
3rd May 2007, 14:01
Very true Pat. However, I recall seeing the 2 British cadets who survived the sinking of the MSC Napoli recently. Sailing with foreigners, on a flag-of-convenience ship that broke in two due after a shoddy repair job did not appear to have blunted their determination to continue their careers at sea. I maintain that no matter what the government and the MCA do to deter young people from going to sea, the sea is in our blood. They will not get rid of the British seafarer that easily!
Hear, Hear !

Pat McCardle
3rd May 2007, 15:24
The point I was trying to get over about the cadets is, where are their jobs after the training is finished? The companies have done their bit for tax reasons so employ more cadets to replace those newly certified. Although I see Maersk are having a recruitment drive that does include ratings, will they be British ratings? Lets hope so!!