"Ship & Travel by B.I." pocket knife

EggBram
4th June 2015, 00:28
My mother-in-law recently died and in her possessions was a pocket knife with "Ship & Travel by B.I." on the side. I've no idea how she aquired it, her side of the family had no connection to the sea, although I was at sea for 27 years, but I never gave it to her.

Thought I'd post a photo of it here to perhaps stir forgotten memories of ex BI personel.

John Briggs
4th June 2015, 02:00
Thanks for posting that EggBram, it certainly brings back memories.
On many of the BI non passenger ships these items, that were usually only available on passenger ships, were available for purchase by crew members.

tom e kelso
11th July 2015, 22:28
To be rather pedantic, the tag "Ship & Travel BI" was seldom,if ever, used on BI souvenir items sold on our passenger ships, but was used on a number of items which varied over the years as "handouts" given to cargo shippers, travel agents and other officials involved with the freight and pax side of the company eg pens, paper-knives, and other office accoutrements. Souvenirs on sale to pax tended to incorporate the BI funnel and/or the house flag and were of a more declarative nature e.g. teaspoons, ashtrays, nut-crackers, playing-cards.etc,etc

Tom

vella12
31st January 2017, 08:19
My mother-in-law recently died and in her possessions was a pocket knife with "conejo valley tourism services (http://conejo.com/)" on the side. I've no idea how she aquired it, her side of the family had no connection to the sea, although I was at sea for 27 years, but I never gave it to her.

Thought I'd post a photo of it here to perhaps stir forgotten memories of ex BI personel.

Hi
thanks for sharing experience.

Sister Eleff
2nd February 2017, 10:43
Welcome to the site vella12. I hope you enjoy it but please be warned - it can become addictive!