Captain Botham

Diesel Dan
15th June 2015, 20:34
Did anyone have the misfortune to be caught up in Captain (Bargee) Botham's pyramid? I did and it was an experience that is not easily forgotten.

muldonaich
15th June 2015, 21:18
He was the worst old man I ever sailed with just about everyone left hope park on maiden voyage because of him ch/eng was great think his name was Tigard brgds kev

randcmackenzie
15th June 2015, 22:22
Tizard, Kev?

muldonaich
15th June 2015, 23:12
Yes that's him tony airy was jun chief. Willie Mac Coll mate Costa ch/steward john gatherer 3rdmate second mates gone out of head he was from the Orkney or shetlands Tommy laird was training officer brgds kev.

Varley
16th June 2015, 00:00
I am surprised Hamish. I didn't sail with him but visited him on Al Farabi and liked him instantly (even if it wasn't until breakfast that he told me I should not have turned in for going through the Straits of Hormuz). I don't remember hearing any other bad words about him, but some funny. The two skinny cadets caught each one standing in each leg of his white shorts.

Bill Tizard, another very good egg. Sailed with him several times on Stonehaven (AKA Hopepark GYXD) between '72 and '75 (Supers Mike Brown then Tony Airey). He wrote the Machinery Manual (when the QA flood began. I got to edit it and go around every Tom, Dick and Harry getting each paragraph approved - like herding cats). I also sailed with John Gatherer, died an early death in Canada - some tick borne illness if I remember correctly.

Plenty of good guys on Stonehaven in those three years (as well as Vince!)

Bill.B
16th June 2015, 06:00
I sailed R/O on Chemical Venturer with Captn Botham and he asked Kelvin Hughes and got me on Nordic Patriot. I really liked him and we got on well. Compared to some of the Chemmie boat old men I had to sail with he was a star. J.E on the other hand was a complete ah and that was after some class RFA members of the same club.

Erimus
16th June 2015, 08:39
Most polite to us agents was Warwick Furneaux.....best laugh Alf Cromarty.

Geoff

John Cassels
16th June 2015, 09:27
Furneaux and Cromarty , my goodness Geoff , these are names from the past !.
Remember old Jas Reid and Granny Allan ?.

John Gatherer ( did pre sea and 2nd.mates together) was sad. Got a good
managerial job with some New York outfit and died on board one of his ships
while doing some inspection or other. Very sad , a real gent.

muldonaich
16th June 2015, 10:03
Sailed with all of them john could not say a bad word about any of them brgds kev.

Keith Adkins
16th June 2015, 12:45
Most polite to us agents was Warwick Furneaux.....best laugh Alf Cromarty.

Geoff
Sailed with Capt Cromarty on the Dunkyle end of 63 for about a month Birkenhead - Monrovia - Newport, paid off as doing a radar ticket also it was coming up to Xmas. I can't remember a great deal about him but do recall that he had quite a traumatic experience during WW2 being torpedoed and spending a long time in a lifeboat before finally reaching either S America or an island in the Caribbean
Regards
Keith

Erimus
16th June 2015, 18:11
Furneaux and Cromarty , my goodness Geoff , these are names from the past !.
Remember old Jas Reid and Granny Allan ?.

I don't remember Captain Reid although his name sort of rings a bell from one of the Port Talbot ships..Ormsary or Arisaig pehaps? Did meet Captain Allan, think I did a full pay-off on the Tees once with him.

geoff

Supercargo
16th June 2015, 18:27
Did the last trip on Stonehaven to layup at Tricomalee June 1975.

randcmackenzie
16th June 2015, 22:27
Yes that's him tony airy was jun chief. Willie Mac Coll mate Costa ch/steward john gatherer 3rdmate second mates gone out of head he was from the Orkney or shetlands Tommy laird was training officer brgds kev.

Bill Coutts was the second mate, from the Shetlands. Went on to Master and finally the Sullom Voe tugs I think.

I was relieved by Bargey Botham once, was very pleased to see him, and away ashore shortly after.

I knew John Gatherer too, from the office, but never sailed with him.

barnabyperkins
17th June 2015, 05:21
I am surprised Hamish. I didn't sail with him but visited him on Al Farabi and liked him instantly (even if it wasn't until breakfast that he told me I should not have turned in for going through the Straits of Hormuz). I don't remember hearing any other bad words about him, but some funny. The two skinny cadets caught each one standing in each leg of his white shorts.

Bill Tizard, another very good egg. Sailed with him several times on Stonehaven (AKA Hopepark GYXD) between '72 and '75 (Supers Mike Brown then Tony Airey). He wrote the Machinery Manual (when the QA flood began. I got to edit it and go around every Tom, Dick and Harry getting each paragraph approved - like herding cats). I also sailed with John Gatherer, died an early death in Canada - some tick borne illness if I remember correctly.

Plenty of good guys on Stonehaven in those three years (as well as Vince!)
Yes -I was one of those cadets. The other was (name reserved) from up North. Frank Botham had ordered us to dohby his bombay bloomers.
The laundry opened on to the boat deck and upon completion of the work I suggested to the other cadet that we would both fit into a pair of the old man's shorts - one in each leg. We paraded thus up the boat deck and the old man peering aft from the bridge spotted us. I can not remember the final outcome but it did happen! I think Frank Botham was merciful. He should have used the proper resident dohby wallah.

muldonaich
17th June 2015, 07:12
Don't forget captain Macintosh ex baron boat man kev.

John Cassels
17th June 2015, 08:48
Don't forget captain Macintosh ex baron boat man kev.

Narrowly escaped him Kevin - on the Gleddoch once .

Varley
17th June 2015, 12:53
Yes -I was one of those cadets. The other was (name reserved) from up North. Frank Botham had ordered us to dohby his bombay bloomers.
The laundry opened on to the boat deck and upon completion of the work I suggested to the other cadet that we would both fit into a pair of the old man's shorts - one in each leg. We paraded thus up the boat deck and the old man peering aft from the bridge spotted us. I can not remember the final outcome but it did happen! I think Frank Botham was merciful. He should have used the proper resident dohby wallah.

Ah, one of the culprits! Come on! who was your oppo? Did anyone get a photograph?

weatherwise
17th June 2015, 23:44
Self and other cadet carried his gear ashore when he left the"Clansman" in Palermo drydock....He "tipped" us sufficient for a good night ashore! Found him O.K. during the time he was on board, too.

Varley
18th June 2015, 01:08
Did the last trip on Stonehaven to layup at Tricomalee June 1975.

I left her for good at the beginning of '75 to go back to school. Pol Sachas (Greek technological genius) remained onboard for a long time whilst she was laid up. She eventually did go to scrap although I don't think it was at Trincomalee (where she did lay-up). She figured continuously for three years of my working life. Nearly all of that enjoyable.

Supercargo
18th June 2015, 15:27
I left her for good at the beginning of '75 to go back to school. Pol Sachas (Greek technological genius) remained onboard for a long time whilst she was laid up. She eventually did go to scrap although I don't think it was at Trincomalee (where she did lay-up). She figured continuously for three years of my working life. Nearly all of that enjoyable.

Was Pol Sochas from Pak & Khan ?

Varley
18th June 2015, 18:06
That's the man. With Evoika (spelling?) and their little dog. I spoke to Lars Norden some years later. Pol had remained onboard and he reckoned he kept the ship seaworthy but had temporarily been beaten by the forward diesels to which he was unable to get cooling water. Until, that is, he turned the ships rails into pipes!

Some extraordinary feats. Someone washed down the new deck generator (a GM, not to be confused with Mr Airey's coup, a 21 year old diesel electric locomotive power plant). Substantial bang, and distinctly crispy looking stator. He chipped out the burned slot wedges and replaced them by hammering bamboo slats down the stator slots, re-insulated what he could find and managed to return it to operation.

I was just trying to check you spelling of pak and Khan. Using Pi and Kappa (the outlines still seen on her funnel - some extraordinary things students will do with alcohol - full marks, we never got that far!

Supercargo
18th June 2015, 21:01
Just found correct spelling is Pack & Khan.

muldonaich
18th June 2015, 21:42
That was the funnel on hope park when she came out kev.

Varley
19th June 2015, 00:29
That was the funnel on hope park when she came out kev.

Are you sure it wasn't just the stylised Greek characters Pi and Kappa. The beaded outline still clearly visible in 1975.

muldonaich
19th June 2015, 03:59
it was pk in opposite directions red funnel black top players in white I've got some fotos of it somewhere brgds kev.

Varley
28th May 2016, 12:46
it was pk in opposite directions red funnel black top players in white I've got some fotos of it somewhere brgds kev.

Kev,

Just had cause to search for her in the gallery. Fairly clearly you can see a k (stylised Kappa, much the same) inside a bottomless 'box' - stylised Pi. Three years on her as Stonehaven (well, 4 on 4 off) - something has to stick despite the Maccabee intent on unsticking.

David V