Ships Nostalgia banner

Info needed please

7K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  aavh 
#1 ·
I am looking for as much info as possible on the following three trawlers.

Admiral Rodney A 199 W Liston & Son Granton

Lothian Leader GN 18 Lothian Trawling Co Edinburgh

Margaret Paton GW 4 Ardrossan Trawling Co Ltd Glasgow

I know that these are not their original names. Any info or photo would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

#2 ·
GW.4 Margaret Paton
Lost with all hands on or about the 27th December 1949 whilst fishing the Coral Bank.
Philip Stevenson (44). Skipper. | Hugh Stevenson. Mate. | Henry Wanless (34) 2nd Fisherman. | Peter Goodall (41). Chief Engineer | J. Nisbet. 2nd Engineer. | Sinclair Coghill (39). Deckhand. | William Robertson (21). Deckhand. | James Watt (29).Deckhand. | William Batten (25). Fireman. | John Martin (25). Fireman. | George Swift. Trimmer. | James O' Donnel (57). Trimmer.

Thats all I could find online

#3 ·
MARGARET PATON (O.N.182017) 276g/5.1942, ex Star of the West-48, Lewis built (see aberdeenships.com for details). Davie, you have quoted an odd crew for a 126 footer, Chief, 2nd, two fireman and two trimmers?

LOTHIAN LEADER (launched as MIDLOTHIAN) (O.N.300602) 217g/10.1959, was from Livingston & Co, Peterhead for Carnie's Lothian Trawling Co Ltd, Newhaven, Edinburgh

ADMIRAL RODNEY (O.N.300356) ex Star of Aberdeen-63 249g/6.1958, was from T. Mitchison Ltd, Gateshead for Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.

Gil

#8 ·
That would solve one of the extra engineroom names then one of them will be cook and there's another big problem only 3 deckies listed !!!

She would probably have had a Chief Engineer , a 2nd Engineer and 2 stokers , cook , Skipper , Mate , 2nd fish and 4 deckies giving a 12 man crew.

I don't know how it worked on the steam trawlers but on my families trawler the engineer helped work the winch and for big hauls the cook would turn out to gut letting us have the Mate/2nd fish in the fishroom and 6 on the deck with the skipper in the wheelhouse ( on an 87ft sidetrawler ).

Skipper in the wheelhouse , one engineer and stoker on watch below , cook , 6 for the deck doesn't seem right for a boat of 126ft. I'd have thought she would have had 14-16 of a crew to allow for 6-8 on deck gutting with the Mate and a deckie in the fishroom as the 2nd fish on the big boats ran the deck when the mate was below putting fish away.

Davie

#9 ·
Davie, If I remember correctly at Granton the crewing was Skipper, Mate,
Chief Engineer, 2nd Engineer, Cook. 2nd fisherman, 4 Deckies, 1 Greaser ,
1 Gutter and 1 Deckie /Learner if one was available. The Greaser took steaming watches in the engine room , worked one side of the winch shooting and hauling and lowered the baskets of fish down into the fish room. The mate workred the fish room alone unless we were on large fish.
The Gutter was the wheelhouse relief for the Skippers meals and did the odd jobs on deck ,hosing down, changing light bulbs etc, he was also responsible for keeping a check on the net stores in the foc'sle.
The Cook , Chief and 2nd Eng did not have any deck duties whilst fishing but many did lend a hand when the going got tough . the position of Greaser was a follow on from the trimmers , some of the older hands still called the position Deckhand/Trimmer, so the Trimmers in this case were also Deckhands.

Andy

#10 ·
Granton Trawlers

My Brother was a Trawler Skipper at Granton and I have informed him that you are asking for infomation on some trawlers.I don't know if he will register to the Forum but I am sure that he will pass on any information through me .Philip and Hugh Stevenson (Margaret Paton)were my Father's Cousins.
I came across this site by accident whilst researching some of my Family who were lost in the Eymouth Disaster in 1861 onboard the 'Stormy Petrel'. David ,Hugh and Philip Stevenson(my Great-grandfather and his Father and Brother).By the way,I was the first member of the family that did'nt go to sea! I did something much safer,I was a Firefighter.

#13 ·
Margaret Paton

My father "Dundee Dod" homeward bound to Granton was apparently the last trawler to speak by radio with the "Margaret Paton." I don't remember now which trawler he was skipper of at the time, Laura, Meta, Eileen, Walter (all Paton) although he later sailed out of Aberdeen. He had to attend the enquiry into the loss of the Margaret but was unable to add much to what was already known other than (as best as I can remember after all these years) "It was a dirty night." A tragic loss of good men. Can anyone tell me where is the Coral Bank? Until recent times it was supposed to be there was no coral in the North Sea. Is it possibly to the west?
"Dundee Dod" rang off 'Finished With Engines' 31 October 1969 in his bed, specs on nose, reading a book. I wanted to follow him (family tradition of hundreds of years) into trawling but he forbade it in the strongesy possible terms and so I went deep sea. I am forever grateful for his foresight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.