Exotic destinations

Julian Calvin
26th June 2015, 07:47
During the declining years, chartered vessels went all over the world which, after the glorious West Coast, were eye openers for many of us.
Did you go anywhere unusual/out of the way?
Did one French Govt charter on the (new) Mymidon in ED colours to the South Pacific calling at Tahiti, Mururoa Atoll (French Polynesian), Noumea (New Caledonia) and Espiritu Santo (New Hebrides) with super cargo supplying free wine every Sunday. Wonderful trip.

Hugh Ferguson
26th June 2015, 09:34
Port Blair & Chau Pyu

The attachment should have appeared in my latest post!

Julian Calvin
26th June 2015, 10:16
Found Port Blair in Andaman Islands.
Where is Chau Pyu?
When was this and which vessel?

IDH
26th June 2015, 12:46
British Corporal from Aden to Masira (or Masirah). Aviation fuel for an RAF staging post. I see it's now a fancy holiday resort.

Undertaking our own pilotage through the reef and using motor lifeboat as a mooring/work boat. Shore tanks were topped off once a year. So others in here have presumably also down the trip. One of the more unusual for a tanker. A satisfaction having to do it all yourself.

Hugh Ferguson
26th June 2015, 17:12
Ramree Is., Burma, landing in 1944 M.O.W.T. Empire Capulet (managed by Glen Line).
Said to have involved the greatest loss of human life from wild animals caused when the Japanese soldiers, tried to escape the onslaught, by trying to cross the crocodile infested "chaungs".
I have never succeeded in being able to confirm this.

China hand
26th June 2015, 18:29
A good shot would be to ask a Bank line apprentice where he went to during his time. Exotic places a'plenty, methinks.

Julian Calvin
26th June 2015, 19:19
Fully agree Chinahand but for an EDs West Coaster this was a long way from Boma or Sapele which, even at the best of times, can hardly be called exotic

trotterdotpom
27th June 2015, 02:40
All relative, Julian. To anybody who'd spent years sailing elsewhere, Sapele could have seemed exotic. You could certainly get an exotic disease there, I heard.

John T

John Briggs
27th June 2015, 08:06
What about Mtwara and Quelimane.

Rogerfrench
27th June 2015, 08:47
For me, as a West Coaster, doing a Burma trip on the Pegu was a real change.
Birkenhead, Genoa, Famagusta, Port Said, Port Sudan, Aden, Rangoon and back again. Not truly exotic, but interesting nevertheless.

Jim Harris
27th June 2015, 09:51
Manaus, 1000 miles up the Amazon with 'Booth Line' was pretty exotic for me!

capkelly
27th June 2015, 20:17
After 5 years of the Coast in ED's the lure of other climes pointed me to Irish Shipping and world -wide tramping, an eye-opener, but often thanked (mentally) the training I got on cargo handling down the Bight of Benin

Aberdonian
27th June 2015, 23:42
What about Mtwara and Quelimane.

When in the Tielbank I called at Mtwara, Tanganyika, in '57. Wasn't the port originally developed with the old Groundnut Scheme in mind - or was that Tanga?

Keith

funnelstays
28th June 2015, 02:06
When in the Tielbank I called at Mtwara, Tanganyika, in '57. Wasn't the port originally developed with the old Groundnut Scheme in mind - or was that Tanga?

Keith

l was in Mtwara in 1977 on the City of Ripon.Interesting place with some German colonial buildings,and was it where they got the clay for the Mirschaum pipes ?

John Briggs
28th June 2015, 02:53

Keith

Yes Keith that is correct and with the failure of the Groundnut Scheme the railway built specially for it ceased operation and fell into disrepair.

Dickyboy
28th June 2015, 04:19
All depends what is meant by "Exotic" I guess. Sailing for a day and a half up the River Congo, many a schoolboys dream I expect, seemed like it would be a pretty exotic thing to do, and it was, for me anyway. However, the actual destination, Ango Ango was anything but exotic. Just a small port with a couple of jetties, and not even a run ashore.
I still think that sailing up the Congo, with me on the wheel for much of the time, was a pretty cool thing to do.

trotterdotpom
28th June 2015, 05:52
Thinking back, coming from Middlesbrough, I thought Blyth was exotic.

John T

Hugh Ferguson
28th June 2015, 12:33
All depends what is meant by "Exotic" I guess. Sailing for a day and a half up the River Congo, many a schoolboys dream I expect, seemed like it would be a pretty exotic thing to do, and it was, for me anyway. However, the actual destination, AnAngo go was anything but exotic. Just a small port with a couple of jetties, and not even a run ashore.
I still think that sailing up the Congo, with me on the wheel for much of the time, was a pretty cool thing to do.

Is that the same as Matadi? Was there in 1944 for copper ingots.

Dickyboy
28th June 2015, 13:34
Is that the same as Matadi? Was there in 1944 for copper ingots.
Yes, virtually the same place. We could see the rapids just up river.
Don't know why we called the place Ango Ango though. Perhaps someone can answer that?

Julian Calvin
28th June 2015, 18:59
Remember Matadi well. Because of the fast current important to get line ashore quickly. Everyone for'd failed.
Up steps the hero. I must have thrown that line about 200ft and it landed on the quay to the cheers of all.--- wish I had held on to the other end which quickly followed the rest of my mighty throw!!!
Sad looking town with all the remains of impressive Belgian mansions/buildings.

DURANGO
28th June 2015, 19:55
Port Blair & Chau Pyu

The attachment should have appeared in my latest post!
I see you had best part of 6 weeks in Sydney Hugh ,they where for sure the good old days long time in great ports also long time in some duff ones but as the years have passed I don't remember bad ones to much regards.

DURANGO
28th June 2015, 19:59
I think we went to Mtwara in the Rothesay Castle back in 1960 regards to all hands

bbyrne98
28th June 2015, 20:02
Manaus, 1000 miles up the Amazon with 'Booth Line' was pretty exotic for me!

Exotic and that was before going ashore ...

Pat Kennedy
28th June 2015, 21:06
For me, as a West Coaster, doing a Burma trip on the Pegu was a real change.
Birkenhead, Genoa, Famagusta, Port Said, Port Sudan, Aden, Rangoon and back again. Not truly exotic, but interesting nevertheless.

Birkenhead is exotic enough for me!(Jester)

PS, I loaded that Pegu many times at her berth at #1 West Float.

Cisco
28th June 2015, 21:43
Ango Ango may be the oil port... I've seen it listed in LSI's as a destination for BP tankers

Farmer John
28th June 2015, 22:28
It was exotic to join a ship at the age of 17, never mind go anywhere. All my mates were going away to learn to make biscuits or teach German to school kids, Filey was an exotic holiday destination, one lass I knew had never been more than 5 miles from home. Going to Iloilo seemed like a fantasy.

Dickyboy
29th June 2015, 00:02
Ango Ango may be the oil port... I've seen it listed in LSI's as a destination for BP tankers
I just looked fro Ango Ango on Google Earth. There's a town of that name to the North of the river, and some miles inland from it.
I can't see that it would have any relation with the port.

Cisco
29th June 2015, 00:45
Everywhere I went overseas was exotic..even Middlesborough.
First foreign landfall was Aden... arriving at 02darkish from Fremantle impressed me.

It was only when I started sailing on the Australian coast that I discovered what the opposite to exotic was.... Thevenard, Ballast Head, Ardrossan, Port Kembla.....

spongebob
29th June 2015, 04:28
First foreign landfall was Aden... arriving at 02darkish from Fremantle impressed me.

It was only when I started sailing on the Australian coast that I discovered what the opposite to exotic was.... Thevenard, Ballast Head, Ardrossan, Port Kembla.....

As exotic as Stenhouse Bay in the Spencer Gulf?

Bob

Dickyboy
29th June 2015, 06:01

Bob

Is that where the original Stenhouse Slip is ? (Jester)

chadburn
29th June 2015, 06:46

Bob

Even more exotic now, Middlesbrough has it's own signature dish called a Parmo.

Hugh Ferguson
29th June 2015, 10:46

I wonder if I piloted you, 1955/56?!

alan ward
29th June 2015, 13:03
Exotic and that was before going ashore ...

In the Liverpool Maritime Museum they have a Booth promotional film on loop showing passengers on a Maggie Booths boat cruising up the Amazon,my Old Man was Second Mate on the Samyale and did that journey

lakercapt
29th June 2015, 13:10

Maybe want to add to that Whyalla !!!!

Alan Rawlinson
28th November 2016, 19:13
A good shot would be to ask a Bank line apprentice where he went to during his time. Exotic places a'plenty, methinks.

A couple of places spring to mind - not sure about the ' exotic ' tag though.

A regular call for Bank Line ships was the Line Islands in mid Pacific, 800 miles south of Hawaii. It was a costly one, because we lost 2 ships there due to the need to drift (too deep to anchor) and they stranded on the coral. The island labourers to load the Copra had to be carried up there, living under tarpaulins on No 2 hatch.

There was a really quant port in Cuba called San Ramon where rail wagons full of sugar sacks were sent down to the ship by gravity alone, thundering through the village before hitting the buffers on the quay!

Some readers may be familiar with Thevenard in S Australia which was really basic. It was named by the French when they were rivalling Capt. Cook to claim Australia. I could go on, but my winner for the most unexotic port, for all the wrong reasons is Immingham on the Humber.

My new ebook called " Merchant Navy Apprentice 1951 - 1955, Sailing in the Bank Line ". has an account of some voyages spread over 6 years as Apprentice and third mate trading world wide. Happy days!