Ian Allan

Fairfield
1st July 2015, 21:38
Very sorry to see that he had passed away recently just one day short of his 93rd birthday.
Responsible if that's the right term for promoting in the main railway enthusiasm or trainspotting, his abc books became famous. He later of course brought out abc shipping books and in the late 1960s the first Ocean Ships edited by Bert Moody editions of which over the years became the bible for ship enthusiasts everywhere.

Erimus
1st July 2015, 22:59
Very good Obituary in Daily Telegraph today...quite an entrepreneur.

Geoff

gadgee
1st July 2015, 23:08
I have many books with the Ian Allan label on - ships and railway. Yes quite an entrepreneur and his obit makes fascinating reading.

Michael Taylor
2nd July 2015, 11:51
Train spotting near home with Ian Allen book ..... hard to imagine kids here in the States being allowed to do it. My mother bought his books for me all the time and am sure they contributed to my learning. RIP

frangio
2nd July 2015, 11:56
Part of my youth. Between trains, planes and ships had many of his books.

RIP Ian

Long gone
2nd July 2015, 18:44
Think he 'did' buses as well.

Bill Morrison
2nd July 2015, 19:39
Pre. computer days it was the only way to obtain the information on your favourite mode of transport. He was a man with great vision, not many of them around these days. He will be a sad loss.

chadburn
2nd July 2015, 19:56
Pre. computer days it was the only way to obtain the information on your favourite mode of transport. He was a man with great vision, not many of them around these days. He will be a sad loss.

Certainly would agree with the above, things have moved on a bit when it comes to reference books I was in Smiths today where they were selling a Haynes Manual on the Spitfire Aircraft.

Dartskipper
2nd July 2015, 20:32
Certainly would agree with the above, things have moved on a bit when it comes to reference books I was in Smiths today where they were selling a Haynes Manual on the Spitfire Aircraft.

As long as they don't sell a manual on the care, maintenance and operation of your WE177, we can sleep peacefully at night. (Jester)

Roy.

KEITHMAR
2nd July 2015, 23:00
Once a year or so two or three of us kids living in the street ,would pester our Mums for the fare to Kings Cross (although we lived along side the Main Kings cross to Scotland Line) about five stops! armed with a little bag ,containg the latest ALLEN book, to stand in the steam all day hoping for at LEAST fifty new numbers AND MAYBE ??? a sight of THE FLYING SCOTSMAN!!....happy days, when the world was different. Rest in Peace Mr. Allen K:M:

John Jarman
3rd July 2015, 13:15

Chad, I got a Haynes manual on the Concord at Cosford museum!!!

JJ.

Erimus
3rd July 2015, 14:58
Chad, I got a Haynes manual on the Concord at Cosford museum!!!

JJ.

I was in the Museum of Flight in Scotland ( near North Berwick) last month and was surprised to see all these Haynes Manuals...brilliant work.

geoff

DAVIDJM
3rd July 2015, 23:30
I have several of his books, Trains and ships and always looking for more.
Thank you Mr Allan, your books helped fill in the gaps I had in my research.

by the way Haynes manuals, the latest I have to my collection is the starship Enterprise.

R58484956
4th July 2015, 17:35
There is a Haynes manual on the Queen Mary 2

frangio
4th July 2015, 18:39
There is a Haynes manual on the Queen Mary 2

Do you think the Chief Engineer owns one?