Val Doonican dies aged 88

expats
2nd July 2015, 12:18
My mother's favourite singer....

I gather he was as 'nice' off-stage as on...A rare thing...

frangio
2nd July 2015, 13:13
I must be getting old - my childhood is disappearing this week!

Saturday nights watching the Val Doonican Show with the family. Great entertainer. The rocking chair and sweaters for the last song.

RIP Val

Barrie Youde
2nd July 2015, 13:27
RIP

Perhaps the hearse will be Rafferty's Motor Car?

cueball44
2nd July 2015, 13:29
R.I.P Val Doonican. Entertainer of millions.

frangio
2nd July 2015, 13:29
RIP

Perhaps the hearse will be Rafferty's Motor Car?

Or a carriage pulled by Delaney's Donkey!

John Jarman
2nd July 2015, 13:32
I must be getting old - my childhood is disappearing this week!

Saturday nights watching the Val Doonican Show with the family. Great entertainer. The rocking chair and sweaters for the last song.

RIP Val

I agree...not quite my childhood but I enjoyed his songs and shows.

Lav Nacinood..... a spooner of his name, I think, coined by Jimmie Tarbuck or maybe Des O'Connor.

RIP Lav Nacinood.

JJ.

Cutsplice
2nd July 2015, 13:53
My youth has vanished in the haze, I was not one of his greatest fans but could enjoy his singing. Does not seem so long ago we had lots of singers doing shows on the BBC TV, now they are falling of their twigs at an alarming rate.
Condolences to Vals family and friends, he will be missed by many.

Dickyboy
2nd July 2015, 13:58
Really sad. A good clean family entertainer who brings back good memories of my family and me sitting in front of the box and just relaxing.
I hope they do some re runs of his shows.
RIP Val.

tsell
2nd July 2015, 14:06
Yes, I mirror all that, he gave much joy to so many people and who could forget that great smile. You couldn't help but relax after a stressful day, watching his shows.
Sadly only crap on the box these days!
Rip Val.

Taff

woodend
2nd July 2015, 15:56
RIP to wonderful entertainer. He brought pleasure to many and a comfortable feeling of relaxation which not many entertainers achieve.

Dartskipper
2nd July 2015, 18:05
Sad news about a very popular entertainer.

RIP.

Bill Morrison
2nd July 2015, 19:50
He was part of Saturday night on the B.B.C. very easy and relaxed. His recording of Only The Heartaches is still one of favourites.

R.I.P.

Cwatcher
2nd July 2015, 20:16
He was part of Saturday night on the B.B.C. very easy and relaxed. His recording of Only The Heartaches is still one of favourites.

R.I.P.

He was part of my Sunday mornings as well - he & his family used to worship at my local church. Lovely family.

R.I.P.

KEITH SEVILLE
5th July 2015, 14:54
We have lost a great Irish entertainer.
He had a way with words, his ditties will be long remembered.
My mother too was a great fan of his and enjoyed his Saturday night show.
RIP Val.

Leratty
23rd July 2015, 11:40
My youth too had lost something ad as a lad always enjoyed him. A new member for the big club in the sky.