Hullo from the land of the long white cloud, New Zealand.

oleary1
26th May 2007, 13:21
I always was interested in ships from when I was just a kid. I lived in a small country town called Collingwood which is part of Golden Bay in the south island of NZ. We had a harbour just deep enough for flat bottomed scows of about 200 tons. Probably a little smaller, anyway later in life I made it to sea on one of the coasters as a motorman. That was in the late 1950's and I left in 1967 which I later regretted. The small coastal ships in our country have all gone except the Rangatira which sails out of Timaru where I am now retired, to the Chatham Islands. I cannot put any photos on this sight as I dont have the know how or a digital camera. If any would like to contact me I'd love to hear from you.

gdynia
26th May 2007, 13:29
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

billmaca
26th May 2007, 13:41
Like yourself I now regret not going back on the coast, I sailed as a motorman for a couple of years around 64/65, but came home to see my father after my mother died, intending to go back and pick up my book again, but met the now mrs, and that was that, went on the scandinavian boats for a while and then came home to the fishing,New Zealand is a lovely country was a great place for a seaman in the60,s, greetings from the north of Scotland

Billy

non descript
26th May 2007, 16:24
Oleary, a warm welcome to you. Timaru is a very nice place, almost as nice as Nuku'alofa (Jester). Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage.

benjidog
26th May 2007, 17:09
Hi Oleary1 and welcome from the land of the bleedin' great big black cloud covering everything right now - the UK.(Jester)

I hope you will enjoy the site - there is certainly plenty to see here.

Regards,

Brian

R58484956
26th May 2007, 18:00
Greetings Oleary and welcome to SN from the south of England. Nice introduction you gave. enjoy the site and bon voyage.

Brian Twyman
26th May 2007, 20:59
Always good to have another Kiwi onboard. Enjoy

Brian

sparkie2182
27th May 2007, 00:19
warm welcome to a great and truly international site.............

sparkie2812

ex cunard radio officer....... (remember kiwi coast well)

p.s. can i come and live in your outhouse??????????????? haha.....:)

Gulpers
27th May 2007, 00:43
Oleary,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
There is every chance that you will meet old shipmates on this site so, have a good look round and join in the banter as much as possible.
Beware, it is addictive! (Thumb)

pilgrim
28th May 2007, 19:59
Hello Cleary
After A Few Trips To The Land Of The Long White Cloud, First Time 1946 On Darro, Royal Mail. I Went On The Coast, Union Steamship Company, Ships, Wainui, Kaimanawa, Waipahi, Rata. Etc, Had A Really Great Time On The Coast, Also At One Time, A Girlfriend In Timaru, A Nice Place As I Remember, Like You Cleary, I'm Now Retired.
Best Wishes To You
Pilgrim. Or Sid To My Friends.

billyboy
28th May 2007, 22:27
welcome aboard from the philippines Oleary1. enjoy all this great site has to offer.

Butters
29th May 2007, 05:41
Great to have another KIWI on the site .

Butters ( Lindsay Butterfield)
Napier
sunny Hawkes Bay

oleary1
29th September 2007, 05:51
Thanks everyone for your welcome.