Cilla Black RIP

stevekelly10
2nd August 2015, 13:22
Acording to local news reports Cilla passed away today :( http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/cilla-black

cueball44
2nd August 2015, 13:26
R.I.P Cilla Black. Sad news. One of the best entertainers.

Dickyboy
2nd August 2015, 13:59
A real shame, took me by surprise. I sort of grew up with her, and her kind of music. One of the first of the Dolly Birds. RIP Cilla :(

Dartskipper
2nd August 2015, 14:04
That's very sad news. First heard her on the offshore station Radio London, when the then unknown DJ, Kenny Everett played her singles at every opportunity. Her later career on TV showed what a truly genuine, down to earth person she was, she will be missed.
R.I.P.

Gerald Jackson
2nd August 2015, 14:18
That's very sad news. First heard her on the offshore station Radio London, when the then unknown DJ, Kenny Everett played her singles at every opportunity. Her later career on TV showed what a truly genuine, down to earth person she was, she will be missed.
R.I.P.

Very sad news,what a voice she had,no ladidar with Cilla and she could talk proper too

Pat Kennedy
2nd August 2015, 14:59
This is a shock. What a pity, she was a very good singer indeed, and a charming person. I met her once in the Locarno in Liverpool when she was just becoming well known, and we chatted about her dad who was a docker. No airs and graces, she was just a down to earth scouser with a marvellous voice.
Some later criticised her for moving away from her roots once she became rich and famous, but who wouldn't have done the same?

RIP Cilla

woodend
2nd August 2015, 15:18
Brings memories of 'way, way' back. RIP Cilla. I will play the CD later in memory.

David Wilcockson
2nd August 2015, 16:02
Such sad news, have to dust off the best of CD I guess. Sheridan Smith made a good fist in the docudrama about her last year. The world will be a duller place without Cilla.The grim reaper is having a field day this year.
Cheers,
David

John Gillespie
2nd August 2015, 16:46
I was studying for 2nd Mates in Liverpool when she had her first No1
"Any One Who Had A Heart"
I remember her photograph on the front page of the Liverpool Echo waving a dockers hook,obviously belonging to her father

Farmer John
2nd August 2015, 17:17
Beautiful voice and her personality showed from the very start of her career.

capkelly
2nd August 2015, 19:48
As they say around here - God be with her and the youth of us. Memories of Liverpool around 1960

RayL
2nd August 2015, 20:00
We shared certain places in our Liverpool backgrounds so I always dreamed of writing to her one day and being invited to Great Missenden for a nostalgic chat. Sad to think that it can never happen now.

In 1964 she turned 21 and I recall seeing her in a TV panel programme with Bing Crosby and another famous man in show business whose identity I've forgotten. To their great amusement, she was (very genuinely) moaning that she was getting old!

Coastie
2nd August 2015, 20:54
Such a shame, I really loved her when I was much younger, still loved her now.

Who next, Lulu?

billyboy
2nd August 2015, 21:54
Gone but not forgotten. Cilla

Donald McGhee
3rd August 2015, 02:16
Yet another of my teenage years idols gone, makes you really think about your own mortality. She was a great entertainer and gave us all great joy with her music. R.I.P. Cilla, you may be gone, but your music will live on, as you are like the Beatles, sort of forever!

Stephen J. Card
3rd August 2015, 04:36
Yes, a great entertainer. On BBC overseas this morning I watched the news and they had a short clip of her singing. Easy to forget a lot of entertainers, but not Cilla!

Cutsplice
3rd August 2015, 08:14
She was ok, sadly I have two memories of her which are not complimentary, therefore I will keep them secret due to her passing.

chadburn
3rd August 2015, 11:27
I liked Cilla, at least you could understand what she was singing. Would agree with David W, Sheridan Smith made a superb job especially as she also did her own singing. RIP Cilla.

Coastie
3rd August 2015, 15:31
BBC Radio 2 tonight have changed the schedule to re-run "Step Inside the Musical World Of Cilla Black" with Johnny Walker tonight from 22.00-00.00 UK time.

Pat Kennedy
3rd August 2015, 19:59
I see that Katie Hopkins has been sniping again.
What a nasty piece of work she is.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/alan-sugar-tells-katie-hopkins-to-shut-up-after-columnists-controversial-cilla-black-tweets-10434289.html

cueball44
3rd August 2015, 20:10
I see that Katie Hopkins has been sniping again.
What a nasty piece of work she is.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/alan-sugar-tells-katie-hopkins-to-shut-up-after-columnists-controversial-cilla-black-tweets-10434289.htmlWas reading the story earlier on, she needs her head seeing to. It's just to get attention if you ask me.

steve Coombs
3rd August 2015, 20:58
She was ok, sadly I have two memories of her which are not complimentary, therefore I will keep them secret due to her passing.

Why mention it then at a time like this!!!!

Bill.B
3rd August 2015, 22:33
Very sad. We just lost a gem and so young.

Cutsplice
3rd August 2015, 22:45
Why mention it then at a time like this!!!!

Personally I have heard many people who claim to be entertainers of various types making very emotional plus very flattering statements about Cilla. However none of us are perfect as we have many and varied faults, no one is adored by all.
I was merely responding to a thread where people post their personal feelings as they see it, my feelings are a little different, but I do not take any pleasure in her passing.
We are all entitled to express our opinions provided it's not making personal attacks, I certainly have not made such attack it's just that I see things a little different to others.

nick olass
4th August 2015, 01:07
I too was shocked at the sad news. Cilla was so bubbly with an infectious grin.

RIP Cilla.

tom roberts
4th August 2015, 11:18
One thing about Cilla is she never lost her Scouse accent unlike Lulu who has the most poshest accent I have ever heard from a born and bred Scottish lass, but her singing reminds me of cats wailing next to the Comet pub in Glasgow or two women having a barney one New Year's Eve that I spent there.

RayL
4th August 2015, 12:23
Personally I have heard many people who claim to be entertainers of various types making very emotional plus very flattering statements about Cilla. However none of us are perfect as we have many and varied faults, no one is adored by all.
I was merely responding to a thread where people post their personal feelings as they see it, my feelings are a little different, but I do not take any pleasure in her passing.
We are all entitled to express our opinions provided it's not making personal attacks, I certainly have not made such attack it's just that I see things a little different to others.

Does your gripe fall generally into the "Do you know who I am?" category perhaps? By making your negative remark you've got a lot of people intrigued and they naturally want to know more. If you describe it then I'm sure we can come to our own conclusions.

chadburn
4th August 2015, 15:00
Does your gripe fall generally into the "Do you know who I am?" category perhaps? By making your negative remark you've got a lot of people intrigued and they naturally want to know more. If you describe it then I'm sure we can come to our own conclusions.

I gather Barbara aka Rita out of Coronation Street tried that one when she was pulled for Drink Driving recently.
Ah, the price of fame not knowing who you are(Jester)

Scelerat
4th August 2015, 15:14
Was reading the story earlier on, she needs her head seeing to. It's just to get attention if you ask me.

Of course it is. It's her job to provoke outrage, that's why the Dirty Digger employs her.

alan ward
4th August 2015, 15:57
I don`t care about her ability,talent or whatever.She just reminds me of a happy time in my life when I would sit and watch her show with my then girlfriend, who looked very much her in her teenage years,together with the gf`s family in a snug little prefab in Speke.

Pat Kennedy
4th August 2015, 18:39
I don`t care about her ability,talent or whatever.She just reminds me of a happy time in my life when I would sit and watch her show with my then girlfriend, who looked very much her in her teenage years,together with the gf`s family in a snug little prefab in Speke.

So did mine Alan, only their prefab was in Croxteth.(Jester)
The Cilla look was very fashionable in Liverpool at that time

Cutsplice
5th August 2015, 19:23

I have known Cilla from the sixties, used to see her occasionally the last time was in 2008 while she was starring in a Panto at the Liverpool Empire. I am quite certain in the near future the papers will publish non complimentary articles about her, but they will not be sourced from me.
My negative remarks as they have been referred to concerns family relationships, ie her brother and mother.

surveychile
5th August 2015, 19:33
I have listened Cilla to sing, emotion? yes, all that beautiful times of my youth, I also found some videos of her in youtube, take a look they are great.

RIP Cilla.

Tomislav Raymondi.

RayL
5th August 2015, 20:56
I have known Cilla from the sixties, used to see her occasionally the last time was in 2008 while she was starring in a Panto at the Liverpool Empire. I am quite certain in the near future the papers will publish non complimentary articles about her, but they will not be sourced from me.
My negative remarks as they have been referred to concerns family relationships, ie her brother and mother.

All we can do is await the revelations in due course, it seems. In the meantime, it must be fair comment that someone who left Liverpool's Scotland Road many years ago and made a new, very affluent, life for herself in posh Great Missenden, and have lots of show biz friends, isn't likely to end up exactly the same person she was when she was 20, is she? Family relationships can be difficult to judge by outsiders like us because we don't see the whole scene.

Coastie
6th August 2015, 00:35
"Family relationships can be difficult to judge by outsiders like us because we don't see the whole scene."

Well said RayL.

Barrie Youde
6th August 2015, 19:16
A delightful story about Cilla emerges on good authority from the Blue Flue woodwork, recording her momentary connection with India Buildings at some point in the mid-late 1960s.

Glen Line's Glengarry had had a particularly rough time politically during a voyage to Chairman Mao's China. Incidents of imprisonment of Blue Flue/ Glen Line officers in China at that time are well known and recorded here in SN. As to Glengarry, Sir John Nicholson and George Holt were so impressed by the fortitude shown by those on board that, when she returned to London a lavish reception was arranged in appreciation for the Glengarry men at the Dorchester Hotel. Included in the reception was a cabaret at which Cilla was engaged to sing.

Delight was theirs when she announced, "Tonight we have some boys from the Glengarry and I am dedicating this song to them, as they alone will understand why. It's "What's it all about, Alfie?"

Further delight is in guessing who put her up to it? John Nicholson? George Holt? Or her own Liverpool docker father? It could have been any one of them.

Hugh Ferguson
7th August 2015, 09:27
Listen! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAuoNa5g6i8

Glengarry at Holt's Wharf, Kowloon.

Barrie Youde
8th August 2015, 08:13
With apologies to Cilla,
And warm thanks for the memory.

What’s it all about, Alfie? Where are all your boats?
What inspired your doubt, Alfie? Still our business floats.
Your ships were the best, Alfie, trading overseas,
Trading East and West, Alfie. Now we’re on our knees!

Trade is all one way, Alfie, just to keep us fed.
Not like in your day, Alfie. Soon we will be bled.
You had acumen, Alfie. Shovelled it in spades.
You inspired your men, Alfie, in the global trades.

Still there’s global freight, Alfie. Someone makes it pay.
And it’s there in weight, Alfie, carried every day.
What would you do now, Alfie? To retain our place?
There must be somehow, Alfie? With some saving grace?

Would you build more ships, Alfie? Is that what to do?
To simply get to grips, Alfie? We have men and crew!
In this rocky isle, Alfie, seeking to survive,
It stands out a mile, Alfie, we need guts and drive!

When Adam was a lad, Alfie, he knew what to do.
Guts and drive you had, Alfie, and you knew it, too.
So what’s it all about, Alfie? What do we do now,
To get out of this mess, Alfie? Can you tell us, how?

BY

ccurtis1
9th August 2015, 17:07
No one could sing "The Liverpool Lullaby" quite like Cilla.
Thanks for the memories. RIP

Barrie Youde
9th August 2015, 19:19
If you're norrasleep, when the boozers close,

You'll gerrabelt, from yer Dad!

Amen.

Coastie
9th August 2015, 19:21
If you're norrasleep, when the boozers close,

You'll gerrabelt, from yer Dad!

Amen.

Sadly, you can't sing that these days it seems, it is now "You'll get told off by you Da"

NOT the way that it should be at all.

More like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dDWEIvbZkY (Thumb)

ChasD
9th August 2015, 20:52
A sad, sad time, I still have my membership card from the Cavern of that era. Although I donít remember Cilla as an individual at that time, it is quite possible that the young lady who took my coat and gave me the little green ticket was her on one of those many evenings, it is equally likely it was one of her contemporaries. My immediate attention was elsewhere !
The recent BBC programme starring Sheridan Smith was very evocative of the era, from the Cavern, the Iron Door to the El Caballa, all familiar haunts.
A universe far away and long ago, very different times ! But then, Ďnostalgia ainít wot it used to be !í