Unestablished

john ward
11th June 2007, 17:02
In the good days before stabilizers I joined up in Canute Road and was sent to the Capetown Castle. Platehouse first trip, then leading hands mess then winging proper. Couldn't believe it. Wanted to go to sea all my life despite living in Farnborough where, aviation was just beginning to rear its ugly head.After other Castle boats I joined Southern Cross as my sister had gone to Oz on the ten pound scheme, and I was missing her. I worked by all the ports out to save up time off in Sydney thanks to a decent chief steward. One trip on the Cross was enough, and then joined the Golfito. A very happy ship. For variety I then went on the Andes. Great!
What a pity "part timers" like me (I only did about four years) have to sign on to a company. One mate of mine Clive Jenkins from the Isle of Wight I would like to get in touch with. also Jo Lee from Liverpool. I left in 1967 and went to BEA/BA as a steward! I was hankering after a wife, kids, garden, chickens, etc. etc. which you can't have at sea. 32 years later and very much more travelled I'm now permanently beached.
Would love to hear from anyone who remembers me. John

gdynia
11th June 2007, 17:10
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
11th June 2007, 17:33
Greetings John and welcome to the site. A nice introduction you have given. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

non descript
11th June 2007, 18:19
John, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and posting your background; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage.

Gulpers
11th June 2007, 21:07
John,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
There is every chance that you will meet old shipmates on this site so, have a good look round and join in the banter as much as possible.
Beware, it is addictive! (Thumb)

billyboy
12th June 2007, 01:56
welcome aboard from the philippines John. enjoy all this great site has to offer.

john shaw
12th June 2007, 09:32
Hello and welcome to SN from me. I hope you will find your visits to this great site to be fun, rewarding and informative. Thank you for telling us a little about yourself by filling in your profile--- very perspicacious of you to prefer ships!. Now--enjoy !!—we will look forward to any contributions you can make.

benjidog
12th June 2007, 09:49
Welcome from Lancashire.

I am sure you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

K urgess
12th June 2007, 10:48
Nice intro, John.
Welcome from the wilds of East Yorkshire.
I'm sure you'll enjoy participating but beware it's addictive.