Roger Baillie

donald murray
7th August 2015, 12:02
Roger Baillie
I have read in this week's West Highland Free Press the death of Roger Baillie of Skye Coastguard. I am sure its the same Roger who was deck apprentice on the "Darius"with me in 1969. I had heard he had joined the Coastguards. Captain Paton, Brian Jordan was Mate, John Sloan was 2nd Mate and I was 3rd Mate
Has anybody else got any information on this matter?
Donald Murray
Isle of Lewis

WillieG
7th August 2015, 12:32
Yes, that's him, Donald.....
http://https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=116930 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=116930)

donald murray
7th August 2015, 14:57
WillieG
Thanks for the acknowledgement. It is really sad news hearing of Roger's death. The last time I saw him he was studying at South Shields Nautical. I spent a week on the new building "Nordic Crusader" in Sunderland checking stores and stationary etc ( May 1973), and used to meet Roger most nights.
A true gentleman. I wish to send my deepest condolences to all his family.
Donald Murray
Isle of Lewis

donald murray
7th August 2015, 15:43
Hi Kevin
Its only recently I have discovered who Muldonaich was. Unfortunately you have the wrong Donald Murray. He is a first cousin of mine. However, we have sailed together. I was 3rd Mate on the "Conon Forest" from Sept 69 to Feb 70. With your good self was the bosun John MacDonld (South Uist), Donald Currie and Hector MacNeil (Barra), Donald Macleod (Back-Lewis) and John Shaw(Carloway-Lewis). The only "foreigner" was Drew Alexander from Ardrossan. In addition the Mate and 2nd Mate were from Lewis - Bert Frater and Morris Macleod. Masters were Blackie and Munro
Best wishes to you all in Barra
Donald Murray

John Cassels
8th August 2015, 10:37
Roger Baillie
I have read in this week's West Highland Free Press the death of Roger Baillie of Skye Coastguard. I am sure its the same Roger who was deck apprentice on the "Darius"with me in 1969. I had heard he had joined the Coastguards. Captain Paton, Brian Jordan was Mate, John Sloan was 2nd Mate and I was 3rd Mate
Has anybody else got any information on this matter?
Donald Murray
Isle of Lewis

Would that be Bob Paton Donald ?.

donald murray
8th August 2015, 11:15
John Cassels

Hi John
It is indeed Captain Bob Paton. He relieved Captain Norman A MacDonald on the "Darius" around April 1969. We were in drydock in Rotterdam having changed the name from the "Naess Clarion". One of the finest Masters I ever sailed with.
Regards
Donald Murray

John Cassels
8th August 2015, 20:06
John Cassels

Hi John
It is indeed Captain Bob Paton. He relieved Captain Norman A MacDonald on the "Darius" around April 1969. We were in drydock in Rotterdam having changed the name from the "Naess Clarion". One of the finest Masters I ever sailed with.
Regards
Donald Murray

Indeed Donald , sailed with both of them more than once . Both were indeed fine men and Masters .

Diesel Dan
15th August 2015, 22:23
Ah Captain Paton, a handy shot with a glass ashtray. He got a bullseye with the C/E and the 2nd Eng within a 30 minute period on MV Clarkspey in 1977.
Roger Baillie was a great shipmate, I sailed with him on the Dalma.