M V Lucellum

hfjulian
17th June 2007, 08:02
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had any pictures or information on the M V Lucellum? This was an H E Moss Tanker. I have searched the internet for HOURS and cannot find anything!
Any ideas?
Thanks!
(EEK)

gdynia
17th June 2007, 08:29
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

exsailor
17th June 2007, 10:32
Welcome aboard the good ship 'Nostalgia' from a cool Dunedin. A site full of interest - beware, it can become adictive.

'Lucellum'
H.E. Moss had three vessels that carried this name, but the first two did not remain in the fleet for more than a couple of years, so guess you mean the third one.
Built Odense Staalskips (Yard no 77), launched 29/10/38, completed 12/38.
Tanker, 9425 grt. Length 148m, beam 20m.
Built for Astrakhan S.S. Co. Ltd., Liverpool - H.E. Moss mgrs
1955 - Renamed 'Asturia' (owner/flag unknown)
1956 - converted to an Ore Carrier
5.10.61 - wrecked at Cap a la Roche, St.Lawrence

Regards, Dennis.

R58484956
17th June 2007, 11:32
Greetings hfjulian and welcome from a member in the south of England. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer. Bon voyage.

K urgess
17th June 2007, 12:42
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
Join in and enjoy the trip

Philthechill
17th June 2007, 13:31
Welcome aboard the good ship 'Nostalgia' from a cool Dunedin. A site full of interest - beware, it can become adictive.

'Lucellum'
H.E. Moss had three vessels that carried this name, but the first two did not remain in the fleet for more than a couple of years, so guess you mean the third one.
Built Odense Staalskips (Yard no 77), launched 29/10/38, completed 12/38.
Tanker, 9425 grt. Length 148m, beam 20m.
Built for Astrakhan S.S. Co. Ltd., Liverpool - H.E. Moss mgrs
1955 - Renamed 'Asturia' (owner/flag unknown)
1956 - converted to an Ore Carrier
5.10.61 - wrecked at Cap a la Roche, St.Lawrence

Regards, Dennis. Dennis! Hi! Phil Roe here! According to my 1966 copy of Ian Allan's "Ocean Ships" H.E. Moss had a "Lucellum" built 1958, 12202 grt. Length 556', Beam 69', Speed 14.5kts., Propulsion Steam Turbine. At the time they had two more tankers, "Lucigen" and "Luxor", similar size to "Lucellum" but Motor-ships. Cheers bud, Phil

Bruce Carson
17th June 2007, 14:06
hfjulian--
I'm not sure if this is the 'Lucellum' you're looking for:
Not a very good picture, but something better may come along.

http://www.allatsea.cx/images/ships/LUCELLUM.jpg

Bruce C

Gulpers
18th June 2007, 04:09
hfjulian,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

hfjulian
19th June 2007, 01:28
Hello to all,
Thank you for your replies...
In regards to the warning about the site becoming addictive... it's too late!!!
I have had an absolute wonderful time so far!
Dennis - I see that you are from the cold Dunedin - tell me about it! I moved to Balclutha from Dunedin just over one year ago, having lived there for 14 years.
My grandfather (still alive, and turning 90 in two months) was the Chief Engineer on the Lucellum at the time it was torpedoed, and I have some wonderful photographs he took of the damage done to the ship. I don't have a scanner, but have access to one shortly, so will post the images on this site. He was then in charge of overseeing the repairs to the ship on the dry dock, and I believe he was also the first person to involve the "land" firebrigade in going to sea to put out the fire.
His name is Francis Uhr, better known as Bill, and came from Queensland Australia. I haven't been able to find any postings on him specifically, but if anyone else has, please let me know.

benjidog
19th June 2007, 08:41
Another welcome from the UK.

You can already see that our members are very kind and helpful - well most of them anyway! ;)

I hope you continue to enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

bilbur
19th June 2007, 10:11
(A) Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had any pictures or information on the M V Lucellum? This was an H E Moss Tanker. I have searched the internet for HOURS and cannot find anything!
Any ideas?
Thanks!
(EEK)

Hi I'm looking for a picture of the Luminous, and have been for years,any ideas?
Bilbur

bilbur
19th June 2007, 10:14
Hi I'm looking for a photo of the Moss tank MV Luminous, about 1952-3, would be grateful for any help

gdynia
19th June 2007, 10:32
Hi I'm looking for a photo of the Moss tank MV Luminous, about 1952-3, would be grateful for any help

Send me a PM with a email address Bilbur and will send you a photo(Thumb)

stan mayes
19th June 2007, 10:41
Greetings hfjulian,
LUCELLUM newly built in Odense was preparing for sea trials when Germany invaded Denmark...The Danish Master and a scratch crew sailed the ship to the UK.. I made a short voyage in her 20th Sept.1944 to 5th Nov 1944 -- Thames to New York, loaded aviation spirit and discharged in Avonmouth..
Captain Svenson was still in the ship..
LUCELLUM was not torpedoed,she was attacked by German aircraft in the Irish Sea on 20th Dec 1941 and gutted by fire. I believe there were nine crew killed. The ship was salvaged and underwent 8 months of repairs
I later sailed with a survivor of that tragedy -John Quirke AB of Liverpool.
I have a photo of the ship and will email to you if you send address.Also a copy of the Discharge Book page relating to the loss, from John Quirke..
Stan Mayes

gdynia
19th June 2007, 10:46

Bilbur
Theres a photo of her on www.photoship.co.uk

exsailor
19th June 2007, 11:00
LUMINETTA - Whilst everybody is digging for photos of old Moss tankers, does anybody have one of 'Luminetta'?
Blt 1927 by Palmers of Hebburn (Yard no 964). 6159 grt. Sold to A.Romano 1952 and renamed Lumina. Broken up Hamburg 1958.

Cheers, Dennis.