Lost Grimsby fishing vessel LA Madsen 1949 off Iceland

Charles Madsen
27th June 2007, 01:04
Hi to all,

After 2 years of searching, I finally come accross a site that could help me with my search for information re the above vessel that was skippered by my father Ivar Kristian Madsen.

Although my mother gave me information that the ship was lost with all hands, I have not been able to find any other details of her disappearance.

I am at present writing a book of my Early days at Sea and of the family and their link with the fishing industry of Hull and Grimsby.
I trust somebody can help with information re my fathers vessel.

Charles

Coastie
27th June 2007, 01:12
Hi Charles.

There's a thread about Grimsby Trawlers, https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=6320
it might have been mentioned on there.

Welcome to SN, by the way. I hope you find the information you require and enjoy all that this site offers.

Charles Madsen
27th June 2007, 03:03
Coastie, Thanks for the welcome and likewise I hope I find the information. The site that you referred me to didn't throw up anything, but with the wealth of knowledge out there with the site members, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Just one thing I forgot to mention was that it was not a trawler but a siener type vessel and the vessel registration LO 276

R58484956
27th June 2007, 08:54
Greetings Charles and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and good luck with your endeavers Bon voyage.

melliget
27th June 2007, 09:23
Hi Charles.

Welcome. The Times Digital Archive (1785-1985) is usually pretty good with shipping news, accidents, etc. but a quick search didn't turn up a matching report based on the information you supplied. How sure are you of each of the details, i.e. the vessel name (LA Gadsen?), off Iceland, 1949, out of Grimsby, all hands lost?

regards,
Martin

K urgess
27th June 2007, 09:35
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Charles.
I'm sure someone will be able to answer your queries. Meanwhile have a look around, you may find some answers yourself.
By the way it sounds like the vessel wasn't registered in Grimsby.

Charles Madsen
28th June 2007, 04:05
Hi to all, As requested I will be a little more specific with my information.

The vessels name was LA Madsen LO276. I have an actual photograph that was taken while she was on compass trials in Fleetwood that confirms this.
I also have an actual Log Book which details her visits into the Farose for provisions etc.
As for the Reg I can only assume that she was registered in London but I can find nothing on this.
(My father initially sailed out of Fleetwood after gaining his English Skippers ticket)
After living in Denmark for a while in 1947, we initially returned to Hull and then to Grimsby from where the ship sailed from until she was lost off the Vestmannayjar Isles In 1949. ( I dont know the date or even the month) All of this information was given to me by my mother who sadly passed away just 2 months ago.
The one thing I havent done yet, and probably the most obvious, was to actually go to Grimsby and to check on Newspaper records. (We left Grimsby in 1954) If all else fails, when I retire from overseas working (Presently in Korea) I will make that visit to Grimsby!
However, I find it all very frustrating and somewhat strange that I can find absolutely no reference to the loss of this ship and of her crew.

I hope this extra info can be helpful

Charles

melliget
1st July 2007, 20:41
Charles.

Sorry about the slow reply - whole family has had the flu. I'm afraid that, after fairly extensive searching, I've been unable to turn up anything in The Times Digital Archive about this accident in 1949, which is unusual. It's just the sort of thing you expect to find in The Times, especially given the vessel was from Grimsby. The search engine is not infallible - I have noticed previously examples where a search failed to find something and I later happened across it via the browse by date option. If you do find out the exact date, post back here and I'll have another look.

My condolences to you on the loss of your mother.

regards,
Martin

gdynia
2nd July 2007, 04:26
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

Charles Madsen
2nd July 2007, 04:33
Hi Martin, First, thanks for the kind words of condolance.
Likewise, I am absulutely astounded that I cannot find anything about the loss of the LA Madsen, I will speak with other family members and try to estabish the exact date.
Again thanks for your efforts.

Charles

tugboat142
2nd July 2007, 17:44
Hi Charles
The number LO276 is a Lowestoft registration.
Tom Harrison
Grimsby

nhp651
2nd July 2007, 18:53
I think you'll find tugboat that fishing vessel reg's with LO were in fact registered in London. LT were lowestoft registered marks.
Charles. there was a book published in 1990 called Grand old Ladies, about those trawlers/fishing vessels lost from Grimsby by a guy called Steve Richards and published with the help of Grimsby Evening Telegraph.In the back of the book he listed hundreds of boats lost, but I've just gone through them and found nothing.
There is also a memorial at the Grimsby Fishing Chapel located in Grimsby Central Hall ( both found on google under those headings) that hold lists of trawler/fishermen and lost ships.) and if you haven't already contacted them it might be worth a try.
Also contact Steve Richards through the Grimsby telegraph.( listed on google) he might also be able to help.
Hope you succeed in your quest.neil.

Gy1
12th November 2018, 21:33
I know it's an old thread but I wondered if Charles found any more info about the LA Madsen?
Many years ago I saw a micro film of Grimsby Evening Telegraph, 'Dated 14 April 1949' Headline of L,A,Madsen Missing for 18 Days, also in the paper dated 18th April 1949 and 6th May - I have a loose family connection with the 15 year old cook, George Henry Frandsen Middleton, when the vessel went missing.