Frank Tyson.

Dartskipper
28th September 2015, 18:46
Former England fast bowler Frank Tyson has died aged 85. His career was cut short by injury, but he emigrated to settle in Australia where he became a highly respected commentator, as well as a headmaster and coach of Victoria.
He took 76 wickets in 17 Tests at an average of 18, with a strike rate of a wicket every 45 balls. Don Bradman said he was the fastest he ever faced.
A truly great cricketer.

R.I.P.

TOM ALEXANDER
29th September 2015, 08:09
Very early in 1960, I shipped out of Greenock on the "Bird of Paradise". The captains name was Dyson. It was a delivery job to Port au Spain, Trinidad. The short version is that the officers, including me as 2nd. mate were invitied to lunch with the then current Minister of Transport for Trinidad, Leary Constantine, the famous cricketer. He kept referring to Captain Dyson as "Captain Tyson".

Thanx for the memories.(Thumb)(Thumb)(Thumb)

Chris Isaac
29th September 2015, 10:33
Frank Tyson on board Edinburgh Castle on the 1956 tour of South Africa.
The picture was taken on 4 October 1956
Frank is fourth from the right.
The master is Captain Harold Dellar

bill thompson
29th September 2015, 22:31
Terror Tyson struck fear into batsmen and awe into the hearts of young boys.RIP Frank.

barry john macauley
30th September 2015, 05:32
Typhoon!

willincity
30th September 2015, 06:33
Frank Tyson on board Edinburgh Castle on the 1956 tour of South Africa.
The picture was taken on 4 October 1956
Frank is fourth from the right.
The master is Captain Harold Dellar
what a brilliant photograph.

Chris Isaac
30th September 2015, 07:25
what a brilliant photograph.

The MCC team was captained by Peter May, with Doug Insole as vice-captain. The former England Test captain Freddie Brown was the tour manager.

The full team was:

Peter May; Doug Insole; Trevor Bailey; Denis Compton; Colin Cowdrey; Godfrey Evans (wicketkeeper); Jim Laker; Peter Loader; Tony Lock; Alan Oakman; Jim Parks junior; Peter Richardson; Brian Statham; Brian Taylor (wicketkeeper); Frank Tyson; Johnny Wardle

Roger Bentley
30th September 2015, 10:32
One of my friends Richard was a student at Durham University when Tyson was there. Richard was a keen cricketer and played with Tyson. I asked him if he scared him. ' Yes and I was fielding on the same side!' Good old Typhoon. Cheers, Roger

steviej
30th September 2015, 19:39
The MCC team was captained by Peter May, with Doug Insole as vice-captain. The former England Test captain Freddie Brown was the tour manager.

The full team was:

Peter May; Doug Insole; Trevor Bailey; Denis Compton; Colin Cowdrey; Godfrey Evans (wicketkeeper); Jim Laker; Peter Loader; Tony Lock; Alan Oakman; Jim Parks junior; Peter Richardson; Brian Statham; Brian Taylor (wicketkeeper); Frank Tyson; Johnny WardleLots of my boyhood heroes in this team.

willincity
1st October 2015, 11:10

The full team was:

Peter May; Doug Insole; Trevor Bailey; Denis Compton; Colin Cowdrey; Godfrey Evans (wicketkeeper); Jim Laker; Peter Loader; Tony Lock; Alan Oakman; Jim Parks junior; Peter Richardson; Brian Statham; Brian Taylor (wicketkeeper); Frank Tyson; Johnny Wardle
Thanks for that Chris, my boyhood hero's all.

Out of that team I saw Peter May; Trevor Bailey; Denis Compton; Colin Cowdrey; Godfrey Evans (wicketkeeper); Jim Laker; Tony Lock; Jim Parks junior; Brian Statham; Brian Taylor (wicketkeeper); Johnny Wardle play in a couple of test and county games at Leeds and Manchester ...................and of course Frank Tyson (RIP).

Some found and great memories of sat down on the boundary ropes as a lad with a battered old sweet tin packed with cheese sandwiches and home made buns all washed down with a warm bottle of "corporation pop".
I recall Tony Lock nicking a bun for my mates tin while fielding down at third man and then returning back after the tea interval with a large bottle of tizer for us to share. He earned a respectful round of applause from all those who witnessed it.

ALAN TYLER
3rd October 2015, 15:12
Sad times another truly great cricketer passes on RIP Frank.