MV Teeswood

torqjock
29th July 2007, 16:09
Hello I am trying to find any information on the MV Teeswood which foundered off Dungeness 29th July 1956 with my father being sadly the only fatality

non descript
29th July 2007, 16:24
Torqjock a warm welcome to you. I am so sorry to see that bit of sad news, but thank you for joining the community and hopefully it will bring answers for you; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage.

K urgess
29th July 2007, 16:32
Welcome abard from East Yorkshire.
I'm sure our knowledgeable crew will soon find the information you want. Meanwhile explore the site and enjoy.

Santos
29th July 2007, 16:47
Welcome Torqjock,

If you go to the following site there is a picture of the Teeswood and some info. Hope it helps

http://www.canterburydivers.org.uk/wrecks.html#teeswood

The Dungerness Lifeboat attended the sinking and there is some info on their website .http://www.rnli.org.uk/rnli_near_you/east/stations/DungenessKent/history

Chris.

awateah2
29th July 2007, 17:13
M.V. 'Teeswood' O.N. 169160 1246 grt, 633nrt L 226' 2" x B 35' 6" x 15 '8"d British Polar Engine.
Completed 09. 1953 by Burntisland Shipbuilding Co for Joseph Constantine Co Ltd.
29.07 1956, abandoned by her crew and capsized in heavy weather 4 miles East of Dungeness whilst on a voyage from Blyth to Shoreham with a cargo of coal. 31.07 1956 sank 2 miles off Dover. One man lost (The Cook). This sadly must have been your father.
There is a previous thread on this vessel in the archives.
Regards and I hope this is of use to you.

David Davies
29th July 2007, 18:09
Stood by Teeswood in Mac Andrew's Palacio until professionals took over. Long time ago but thought it was off South Foreland she was listing badly with deck edge awash. We were on passage London to Swansea to load tin plate for Spain

ruud
29th July 2007, 18:18
Ahoy Torqjock,
Found this old piccie of the TEESWOOD 1953 in one of my lost files,much have been a scan of of an old booklet,but never mind;hope you'll like it.
Sorry to hear that it was your dad who lost his life at the accident;R.I.P.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6965/teeswood1953amediumlz2.th.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=teeswood1953amediumlz2.jpg)

gdynia
30th July 2007, 04:06
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
30th July 2007, 11:31
Greetings Torqjock and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and thanks for signing on. Bon voyage.

Billy1963
29th October 2007, 14:43
Teeswood ON. 169160:

Log Books and Crew Agreements 1951 to 1976

A 10% sample of all logbooks from the above period are held at The National Archives, in classification BT 99 Agreements and Crew Lists, Series 11. 80% of the records are now held at the Maritime History Archive, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, A1C 5S7. The remaining 10% of these logbooks and crew agreements are kept at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London, SE10 9NF. This last address keeps the years ending in "5", i.e. 1955, 1965, 1975.

I ran a search at Kew, with no records found, which suggests any surviving records are in Canada.

Rossbay
29th October 2007, 20:59
Welcome to Ships Nostalgia and greetings from Londonderry,
Fred

benjidog
29th October 2007, 23:53
Welcome from London.

I am pleased to see that you have already got several useful replies to your enquiry. You will find our members very helpful.

Regards,

Brian

graemey
5th December 2014, 18:28
Hello I am trying to find any information on the MV Teeswood which foundered off Dungeness 29th July 1956 with my father being sadly the only fatality

Reply: My Great Uncle John Wright was master of the Teeswood when she foundered.....I remember him telling me one soul was lost, and that he himself was spotted as he rose some 60' on the top of a wave when he was seen by the ship's cook(?) and the boat turned around and saved him. He lived in Biddlestone Road, Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne and was married to Bessie, with one son, also John who sadly died in his 40's. He was quite a task-master and was prone to bouts of bad temper. Having survived the Arctic convoys (Murmansk runs) several times, I suppose it's no wonder he had black moods, as many of his friends were not so lucky. Hope this is of some value, Best wishes, Graemey.

Erimus
5th December 2014, 19:55
I worked for Constantines in their Middlesbrough HQ 1958-1960 and have learned more from this thread than I did in those two years......it was an incident that just wasn't talked about.

geoff

granty
5th December 2014, 20:22
Hi
I believe it was the same night that the South Goodwin Light
Ship was lost also I think it was the Shell Welder that pick up some of the Teeswood's crew
Cheers
Granty

graemey
6th December 2014, 17:04
Hi
I believe it was the same night that the South Goodwin Light
Ship was lost also I think it was the Shell Welder that pick up some of the Teeswood's crew
Cheers
Granty

Many thanks for the extra info Granty.....I have also had info from 'Ertimus' who advised he worked for Constantine's in Middlesbrough for 2 years and has learned more from our threads about these incidents as it was not 'talked about' apparently!!!

graemey
6th December 2014, 17:12
Granty, I have also just learned from John Wright's niece (My aunty) that when the Teeswood turned turtle, because he couldn't swim, he walked onto the upturned hull as it rolled over and was with the cabin boy....both saved as far as I can tell, obviously John was saved, but I don't really know the fate of the cabin boy, but I hope he was saved too. Sorry I have no other info other than that my aunty believes it was hushed up a bit...John believing maybe something not quite right about the design or condition of the ship at the time.

graemey
6th December 2014, 17:26
Welcome from London.

I am pleased to see that you have already got several useful replies to your enquiry. You will find our members very helpful.

Regards,

Brian

Many thanks Brian.....Yes It is most helpful...my Aunty also very much interested in the threads as she was very close to her uncle, Master of the Teeswood, Cheers, Graemy

There is a lovely story about John Wright when he was docked in a port in South Africa (Sorry don't know which one) when he was injured as a large cable snapped and hit him across the back...obviously any sailor's nightmare...he ended up in a hospital run by Irish nuns...his language was turning the nuns' toes up apparently, so the Mother Superior had to have a quiet word in his ear.....the problem turned out to be he was up to the back teeth with 'boiled fish' on his menu...a delight designed to get some of his weight down, to ease the back pain. So she agreed with him that if he stopped cursing, she would get him a fillet steak......he couldn't wait for the evening meal, which duly arrived, on a silver salver with a domed cover, 5 star restaurant style....and when he took off the cover, there it was in all it's glory....and about the size of an OXO cube....the Mother Superior had really got him with that one...and he spoke of her in reverent tones for the rest of his life...with great respect having done him over, in the cleverest way!!! Cheers, Graemey

torqjock
31st July 2015, 20:38
Thank you so much for your posts Graemey it was moving to hear about the day my dad died and some more of the circumstances. My dad also sailed on the Murmansk runs and was one of the survivors of the PQ 17 he would tell my mum of all his various convoy experiences in the war as he lost ships under him a few times but the PQ 17 he would never speak of mum said the hurt in his eyes made her drop the subject. It was interesting to hear about the circumstances of the loss being hushed up as mum was told by some of the survivors the cause of the loss was the cargo of coal dust had been badly loaded in Immingham and shifted when the weather turned and that caused the ship to capsize so easily. I think it may have been the master that agreed to testify to that at the board of inquiry but the week before it sat he was quickly given a ship at very short notice by Constantine on the South China run and he was not given the chance to give his account. There was a lot more went on behind the scenes in the way the board proceedings went on a certain union rep who went on to the top job in the union started off helping our family as we were 4 young children at the time but after meeting the owner he dropped us like a stone and straight after he turned up in London at the union HQ and shot up the ladder of the hierarchy. My mum and a lot of Dad's friends in the Leith pool had their suspicions about what had gone on but nothing could ever be proved. It was a long time ago but to us the hurt remains with us to this day but life goes on. Thank you to all the members for the various posts it has helped us a lot to know there are such good people out there.

balmoral queen
8th January 2017, 14:13
I was 2nd Mate on Gibson's Eildon at the time and was on watch in the morning when, south of the South Foreland, we passed the upturned Teeswood with her forefoot proud of the water. We were Hartlepool to Newhaven with coal. A really bad summer gale for hours on end.