Canberra(P&O)

dnalors
6th August 2007, 15:07
Hi, I am wondering if anyone has any information the Canberra, because my brother and I stowed away on it in 1970,it was on its way to Vancouver from Sydney,Australia.We were found and sent back from Auckland NZ.My brother was 6 and I was 9 at the time

R58484956
6th August 2007, 15:11
Greetings dnalors and welcome to SN from a member in the south of England. Enjoy the site. You and your brother at least had a spirit of adventure when you were young. Today would be much more difficult to be able to board a ship. Bon voyage.

gdynia
6th August 2007, 15:28
Welcome onboard and enjoy the voyage. Just do a search on site with vessels name and theres lots of info and photos of her

K urgess
6th August 2007, 18:16
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
Sounds like quite an adventure. I'm sure you'll find plenty of information once you find your way around the site.

Pompeyfan
6th August 2007, 18:29
Hi Dnalors

Welcome to SN.

If I remember, I will ask if any crew member remembers you stowing away when we have our first ever Canberra Reunion aboard Oriana next month. 289former crew are coming some of whom would have been on board when you were.

Where did they put you?. Stowaways were usually put into my Lock Up Cabin in my Crew and Isolation Hospital on C Deck Aft, but due to your ages I doubt if they locked you up, although the could have put you in the Isolation section of my hospital if cabiins full. I was aboard from 1971 to 1973 so would have just missed you both. David

dnalors
6th August 2007, 19:04
Hi, we were put in the hospital,we also had dinner with the captain!

Paul UK
6th August 2007, 19:37
who's idea was it and how did you get aboard.

paul

ps what an adventure

Pompeyfan
6th August 2007, 20:31
Dnalors

Just as I thought, you were put in my hospital, not the lock up cabin.

The person looking after you may have been called Colin. The nursing sister Elizabeth would have been on board then, and the Surgeon called Dr Watson, a South African with glasses. The captain may have been Wally Vickers, quite a plump man. There is a picture of him in my gallery.

As I said, I will try to find out more next month. Some crew at the reunion are bound to remember you being so young.

David

dnalors
6th August 2007, 21:36
Hi,it was probably my idea being the oldest,but we just pointed at a couple a bit behind us and the man nodded and let us onboard. So we went looking around the ship and when we came up on deck the ship was on it,s way past the opera house.I didn,t know what to do

Pompeyfan
6th August 2007, 22:18
dnalors

I have found your story on Neil McCarts book Canberra 1957-1997

It tells of two brothers aged nine years and 6 years who disappeared on Tuesday 16th February 1971(not 1970) on their way home from school from a Sydney suburb. The story says that two days later, the mystery was solved when you were found on board Canberra as she crossed the Tasman Sea bound for Auckland. The story also says that you had wanted to make your way back to Norway, your country of origin. Is that true?!.

The Hospital Attendant was Colin Thorogood, Surgeon Stanley Watson, and Senior Sister Liz. The captain was Wally Vickers as I thought.

If you would like a copy of this book if still in print, please send me a PM and I will put you in touch with the author. And any member who has this book the story is on page 74.

What a small world?!.

I remember this now because I was living in Auckland at the time leaving in June of that year to join Canberra as crew in August. David

dnalors
7th August 2007, 08:01
Hi,Pompeyfan thank you for this information I will try to find Neil,s book on the net, and there wasn,t any plan of going back to Norway,the plan was to go onboard and take a look around.

Pompeyfan
7th August 2007, 09:53
Hi dnalors

Just shows how stories grow with people making assumptions regarding you wanting to get back to Norway. I expect people added 2 and 2 and made 10?!.

I don't know where Neil got his information from, but I could find out. I have his phone number because I gave him a few stories myself getting a free book in the bargain. I could also ask if he has any spare copies. David

dnalors
7th August 2007, 10:11
Hi pompeyfan,if I remember correctly it was the same story that was in the newspapers at the time about us wanting to return to Norway,it would be nice if he had a copy.Steven

redgreggie
7th August 2007, 11:45
what a wonderful story, what an adventure it must have been, well done.