Blue Hawaii - my first trip

Ian b
28th August 2007, 22:57
I 'graduated' from the gravesend sea school late December '62 and was sent to southampton to join Canberra. She was going on a world cruise, (how fantastic is that for a first voyage). One night, while ashore in southampton I went to the pictures to see Elvis Presley in 'Blue Hawaii', and was thrilled to think that I was going there. We sailed in early January, into the Med, calling at Naples. early one morning after leaving Naples we were woken and called to lifeboat stations. There was a fire in the engine room and we had lost all power(does anybody remember this). After some time the fire was out and we were stood down but there still was no power, so poor old Canberra just sat there in the water.(one of the strath boats was passing and sent some essentials over). Eventually we were helped into Malta by the RN. It took some time to disembark all the passengers and fly them on to their destinations, but eventually they were gone, and after making temporary repairs, we set sail for home. After arriving back in Belfast we were paid off, I had'nt earnt enough after paying for my uniforms, so I ended up owing P & O seven pounds something. It does'nt sound much now, but when you consider that I was only paid 16 a month.... Well that was my first trip. Did I pay my debts? Did I get to Hawaii? Maybe I'll tell you another time.

K urgess
28th August 2007, 23:26
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Ian.
Looking forward to your further misadventures, meawhile find your way around our good ship andenjoy the trip.

billyboy
29th August 2007, 00:56
Welcome aboard from the Philippines Ian. Enjoy all this great site has to ofer

barrow-boy
29th August 2007, 04:35
Nice first post Ian, I look forward to hearing some more from you. I hope you knocked P&O for the seven quid.

gdynia
29th August 2007, 04:50
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

benjidog
29th August 2007, 21:56
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you enjoy the site. We await your next installment!

Regards,

Brian

Rossbay
31st August 2007, 11:44
Welcome to Ships Nostalgia
Join in the discussions and you will really the site.
Greetings from Londonderry
Fred

R58484956
31st August 2007, 19:13
Greetings Ian and welcome. Nice story. Was Dave Twinning Chief Engineer at the time? Bon voyage.

saltyswamp
31st August 2007, 21:28
Welcome from the East of England
stuart