Intrinsically Safe ???

29th August 2007, 15:38
My survey work takes me into refineries where regulations only permit intrinsically safe torchlights, radios and cameras. Able to find torchlights and radios but would welcome any advice in respect to cameras (digital). Kind Regards. David Wilson.

29th August 2007, 16:37
Most offshore platforms and refineries operate a Permit To Work system which requires you to have a Hot Work Permit in place and a gas meter on site to allow you to take photographs. If you intend using a flash for your picture make sure you get any UV Detectors inhibited first.

29th August 2007, 21:01
Try this?

Bit steep at USD750 though.

Thermography cameras come in IS variants also - might be worth talking to FLIR about this.

My gut feeling tells me that an underwater camera should be IS provided the case is nitrogen purged, no doubt safety case assessors will tell me otherwise though.


30th August 2007, 01:30
Avonbank and Duncan, many thanks for speedy replies, assistance greatly appreciated. Kind Regards. David Wilson.

The Captain
30th August 2007, 03:02
Depending on if you have to use digital pictures why not use an old 35mm camera with no battery, just a manual wind and settings. Of course if you don't already have such a camera they may be hard to find. I doubt if my suggestion is practical but it may be the least expensive.
Ever the tight fisted Yorkshireman.

30th August 2007, 11:56
I think you'll find that photography in refineries nowadays require a special permit, in addition to work permits.

6th September 2007, 14:37
A big THANK YOU for all the replies, although expensive Ill go with Duncan112s suggestion. Kind Regards. David Wilson.

27th July 2009, 18:46
Check this out, ATEX certified for Zone 1 IIC T4 hazardous areas with 2Gb storage, 5Mega pixel resolution and flash.

31st July 2009, 02:22
1300 quid! Save your cash and go for a box brownie.

31st July 2009, 06:38
It weighs 1.5 kgs so not very handy

Satanic Mechanic
31st July 2009, 06:57
This is a smashing site to get your ATEX kit:

There is actually a number of ways of going about this.

1. With the proper permit and monitoring in place you could just use a normal camera, this depends on regulations and of course it is not practical if you are wandering about. Its always worth remembering that explosive atmospheres are an abnormal condition

2. Get an ATEX certified camera and do what you want, Remember though no 'EX' mark - no go - so underwater cameras almost certainly won't go

3. Use a manual SLR - you can pick them up for pennies nowadays, have a look on ebay you can get a camera that a few years ago was top of the line for about 50 quid.

4. Disposable Cameras - as cheap as it gets as with 3 above use your EX torch for lighting.

By and by here is a handy chart for everybody about ATEX classifications

its at the bottom of the page as a download. Some good products here as well - I love the 'Litetrackers' they are brilliant in doublebottoms or heavily framed areas for finding people.

- I am not convinced by the tanks vapour space being regarded as a Zone 0 as I would say it would be unlikely you would get an explosive atmosphere due to it being too rich - but on the other hand it is only right to err on the side of caution.

31st July 2009, 07:19
This one seems popular on google, though not found a uk supplier yet