P&O Cruises Australia.

EMMESSTEE
4th December 2015, 12:29
Can anyone explain why P&O's Australian-based PACIFIC DAWN was seen at anchor in Sydney Harbour on 25 November 2015 flying the Italian Navy Jack as her stem jack? The occasion was the meeting of the five Australian-based P&O ships to celebrate the namings of PACIFIC ARIA and PACIFIC EDEN.

Erimus
4th December 2015, 13:10
Possibly as she was Italian designed and built and first port of registry was Palermo?.....under a Princess name ( a sister company of course)...as were the Pacific Eden and Pacific Aria, both sister company ships Holland America and Dutch registered originally.

geoff

James_C
4th December 2015, 13:58
Apparently she has an Italian Master.
I wonder if it'll only be a matter of time before the Carnival PR people feel his collar for going "off message" with their recent attempts to demonstrate their British and Australian credentials.

fred henderson
4th December 2015, 15:41
Sitmar Cruises ordered two new cruise ships from Fincantieri using a financing deal that required the use of an Italian company named Astramar SpA. P&O acquired Sitmar and Astramar in 1988, while the ships where under construction. The ships were delivered as Crown Princess and Regal Princess, but to retain the favourable Italian financing package ownership remained with Astramar and they remained on the Italian registrary, with an Italian Captain.

The ships have been transferred to the Australian market and renamed Pacific Jewel and Pacific Dawn, but remain under the ownership of the Italian company Astramar, although of course they are now managed by P&O Cruises Australia.

trotterdotpom
4th December 2015, 18:41
I did trips on Pacific Dawn and Pacific Jewell. They were both registered in London and they both had Italian Captains. There was a time when you had to be British to be the Old Man on a British ship (wasn't there?).

John T

PS Maybe the ship was flying the Italian navy jack because the Captain is in the Italian Naval Reserve.

EMMESSTEE
4th December 2015, 23:03
Gentlemen -

Many thanks for your comments on this matter - greatly appreciated!! Have been looking in other websites for recent photos of her and it would seem that this incident of her flying such a stem jack is a one-off for whatever reason? Indeed, she was the lead ship of the five into Sydney on 25 November and was flying the P&O houseflag at her stem when she entered - another photo of her in Melbourne on 4 November has her with the P&O flag at her stem passing under the Westgate Bridge - having berthed at a Victoria Dock berth, itself a somewhat unique event these days for a passenger ship.
-------------
Mike.

Robert Hilton
5th December 2015, 01:12
Gentlemen -

Many thanks for your comments on this matter - greatly appreciated!! Have been looking in other websites for recent photos of her and it would seem that this incident of her flying such a stem jack is a one-off for whatever reason? Indeed, she was the lead ship of the five into Sydney on 25 November and was flying the P&O houseflag at her stem when she entered - another photo of her in Melbourne on 4 November has her with the P&O flag at her stem passing under the Westgate Bridge - having berthed at a Victoria Dock berth, itself a somewhat unique event these days for a passenger ship.
-------------
Mike.

Remembering my past I wonder if there still exist the equivalent of mischievous apprentices who might effect such adjustments to the ship's vexillology.

EMMESSTEE
5th December 2015, 03:00
Indeed Robert -
Might the flag being flown have been the result of a bit of "mischief" on the part of someone? But possibly not in its position in full view of the bridge?! Incidentally, she was not flying the P&O stem jack when she entered Sydney Harbour - on closer inspection, the photo in the "other" website was wrongly captioned and was PACIFIC JEWEL, not the PACIFIC DAWN!! Out of interest, the flag below is the flag in question.
------------
Mike.

YM-Mundrabilla
5th December 2015, 10:37
Indeed Robert -
Might the flag being flown have been the result of a bit of "mischief" on the part of someone? But possibly not in its position in full view of the bridge?! Incidentally, she was not flying the P&O stem jack when she entered Sydney Harbour - on closer inspection, the photo in the "other" website was wrongly captioned and was PACIFIC JEWEL, not the PACIFIC DAWN!! Out of interest, the flag below is the flag in question.
------------
Mike.

This is not the flag flown on the stem when Pacific Dawn, Jewel and Pearl were in Melbourne for the Melbourne Cup on 3 November 2015.
The flag then was made up of 4 triangles of white, red, yellow and blue. Forgive my terminology, please. Railways were my trade.

trotterdotpom
5th December 2015, 12:29
This is not the flag flown on the stem when Pacific Dawn, Jewel and Pearl were in Melbourne for the Melbourne Cup on 3 November 2015.
The flag then was made up of 4 triangles of white, red, yellow and blue. Forgive my terminology, please. Railways were my trade.

Well, that is the P&O house flag and all is well with the world. Thankyou YM.

John T

YM-Mundrabilla
5th December 2015, 12:48
Well, that is the P&O house flag and all is well with the world. Thankyou YM.

John T

Thanks John.
Something else that I have learned today.
Geoff (YM) (Jester)