Jimmy Hill

ccurtis1
19th December 2015, 15:41
Passed away today aged 87
He changed football in England when chairman of the PFA.
His commentaries on Match of the Day were very good too>
RIP Jimmy

Dartskipper
19th December 2015, 15:57
He not only changed football, he changed forever the presentation of football on television.

Thank you Jimmy Hill.

R.I.P.

kevjacko
19th December 2015, 16:21
I've often ranted about obscene sums of cash earned by modern footballers. They were on a max of about 20 a week until Jimmy chaired the union. I'm pretty sure being the principled bloke he was he never intended things to turn into the goat grab it has. I don't think that could have been foreseen.
RIP Jimmy Hill.

Erimus
19th December 2015, 20:15
I followed him and one of the Bedser Brothers around a Pro-Am Golf Tournament at Woburn way back in 1978...he was a real nice chap and was happy to chat to those following his match...
RIP

geoff

RayL
20th December 2015, 10:21
I've often ranted about obscene sums of cash earned by modern footballers. They were on a max of about 20 a week until Jimmy chaired the union. I'm pretty sure being the principled bloke he was he never intended things to turn into the goat grab it has. I don't think that could have been foreseen.
RIP Jimmy Hill.

I feel the same way. Perhaps moderation could have been achieved by (at the time) simply changing the 20 per week to 80 per week say. I don't like the industry as it has become, and the blame for this has to be laid at Jimmy Hill's feet. Had things gone differently, I could well have been a supporter of some team or other but as it is I find the whole thing a turn-off.