Conrad Phillips (William Tell)

explorer
29th January 2016, 23:05
Died 13th January, A real favourite of mine when I was a growing up, have a couple of episodes on video I watch now. R.I.P.

Pat Kennedy
29th January 2016, 23:35
He appeared in the film Battle of the River Plate, he was a gunnery officer on HMS Achilles.
He actually saw active service in the RN during WWII
A fine actor.
RIP

Leratty
3rd February 2016, 10:20
Pat was it not HMNZS Achilles as I think she was owned & crewed by the Kiwis? There is a point on Auckland harbour I shan't try & spell that beautiful harbours name begins with W......ends with a. Any way the point is named in honour of HMNZS Achilles role in the battle.

I have visited Capt. Lagsdorff grave in B.A. as he was someone of the German navy you could without fear say was a gentleman. There are quite a few of his crew buried there also in Monti.

R58484956
4th February 2016, 12:08
I too have visited Capt Langsdorff grave in BA , and put flowers on his grave.
A true officer and a gentleman. Never killed a single sailor in all his sinkings.

Leratty
4th February 2016, 13:07
R with many numerals, yes he was indeed. Quite a few British seamen burried there too, one off a ship I served on. Went to the graves of the Houlder boat in Monte too. Must say I misted up.

Pat Kennedy
5th February 2016, 17:15
[QUOTE=Leratty;1850514]Pat was it not HMNZS Achilles as I think she was owned & crewed by the Kiwis? There is a point on Auckland harbour I shan't try & spell that beautiful harbours name begins with W......ends with a. Any way the point is named in honour of HMNZS Achilles role in the battle.

Yes and no.
Achilles was still HMS at that time, she was of the New Zealand Division (precursor to the Royal New Zealand Navy) and captained by Edward Parry.

Leratty
9th February 2016, 13:00
Pat thanks for that, I was very surprised that RNZN did not per se commence until 1941 when Aus was RAN for quite some years before.

My understanding of RN officers in command of RAN or NZ ships was it was a hang over almost big brother from WW1? In RAN case the complete ignoring of known war time rules- behaviour - seamanship by RN Commander of Ran Australia thus cause of the sinking with all hands of that ship sinking off W.A. in WW2 brought about a long over due change.

The crazy blaming of the Germans or Japanese sub for the catastrophic sinking up until only recently (The formers commader must have been amazed at the poor seamanship judgement shown.) have been proven for what it was. Sheltering an incompetent commander. Full marks to the German commander.

KEITH SEVILLE
17th February 2016, 20:47
He was a great actor appearing in many films.
I best remember him though as William Tell in the Adventures of William
Tell fighting his old adversary Gessler, played by the late Willoughby Goddard.
He will be missed.

Regards
Keith

Pat Kennedy
17th February 2016, 21:34
He was a great actor appearing in many films.
I best remember him though as William Tell in the Adventures of William
Tell fighting his old adversary Gessler, played by the late Willoughby Goddard.
He will be missed.

Regards
Keith

Here he is, the evil scheming Landburgher.

KEITH SEVILLE
18th February 2016, 08:06
Thanks Pat.
What an evil part he played!

Best Regards
Keith

expats
18th February 2016, 11:45
Thanks Pat.
What an evil part he played!

Best Regards
Keith

As an aside...In folklore, Gessler, the newly appointed Austrian Vogt of Altdorf, raised a pole under the village lindentree, hung his hat on top of it, and demanded that all the townsfolk bow before the hat even when he wasn't present.

Not that much different from Wimbledon in its amateur days when players were expected to bow to the Royal Box, even when it was unoccupied....

Union Jack
18th February 2016, 12:40
I normally thoroughly enjoy Leratty's posts but, having served in both the RN and the RAN, I can't help feeling that the picture presented at Post #7 is somewhat off beam, quite apart from the fact that he is thinking of the sinking of HMAS SYDNEY, rather than HMAS AUSTRALIA.

Jack