Hi all

slammer
6th November 2007, 09:35
Hi all, Slammers the name and boats are the game.
I would llike to bleleve that myself but I live now in Switzerland as far from the sea as you can get here in Europe.
I have worked and been on a few ships and boats starting as a kid with Fishingboats out of Fleetwood,my old man would earn extra money repairing ships engines and doing general maintenence.
He had me for the weekends and we would drive from Blackburn to Glasson dock or Heysham, camping in his tatty old minivan, when the tide was out we would lay landlines near the brick submarine not far from the ME 109 silhouette, a target left over from the war.
The place was full of fish in them days, Place, Mackrel, Haddock some Sole, we never went home with less then a binliner full.
With the incoming tide we would go back to the harbour and he would start work.
Years later I crewed on MS Europa, the German cruiseship, on the Prinz Hamlet, the boxy ferry from Hamburg to Harwich, and last but not least Patricia, a tramp.
I have lived in Denmark For some time and with the cost of living I decided to buy a fishingboat. I got hold of a beautiful west coast boat calle Henriette already converted to liveabord.
Alas the company I worked for folded and I got a job in Switzerland, I tried to sell Hen. But nothing realy came out of a sale I had a freind who looked after the boat and showed people around, taking them out for a fishingtrip now and then.
Somebody found out the marina she was in and got the keys of the marina boss.
He took her out using the dingy exit and rammed her up on the rocks.
No big deal realy but we found out that the shaftbearing was worn and as he went from full foward to full astern in an attempt to rock her free the baring broke.
He got her back to her berth and leaving the keys in the lock not connecting her to the mains and with only one line to the dock he left without a word.
Three days later the pumps ran out of power and she setteled from the stern.
As she was my home I lost almost everything.
Ah well I still have a small sailboat and next year I am bringing her to CH.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c152/yar999/hen2.jpg

gdynia
6th November 2007, 09:52
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

K urgess
6th November 2007, 10:02
Nice introduction Slammer.
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
Plenty of fisherfolk in the crew and members from the same area.
Find your way around and enjoy the trip.

non descript
6th November 2007, 10:25
Slammer, a warm welcome aboard to you and thank you for good introduction piece; enjoy the site and all it has to offer. We look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

Frank P
6th November 2007, 12:04
Welcome onboard Slammer, enjoy the site.

Cheers Frank

Bruce Carson
6th November 2007, 12:55
Slammer, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
You should feel right at home on SN as the fishery is well represented in our Galleries and forums.

Bruce

benjidog
6th November 2007, 22:09
Welcome from St Annes - only a few miles from Fleetwood which I am sure you realise will have changed beyond all recognition since your happy days with your Dad.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Rossbay
7th November 2007, 19:45
Hello Slammer , welcome to Ships Nostalgia and greetings from Londonderry,
Cheers,
Fred.