Stan Harron - Chief Engineer RMS Windsor Castle

Chris Isaac
4th April 2016, 12:51
4th April 1016
I have just learned of the passing of Stan Harron.
He died this morning at a residential home in Ulster
He recently broke a leg in a fall and went down hill very rapidly thereafter.
An officer and a gentleman
Stan was best known as Chief Engineer on Windsor Castle

tiachapman
4th April 2016, 13:03
R I P stan the man

wayfarer
6th April 2016, 21:32
Sorry to hear of Stan's passing. He probably sailed with a very good friend of ours Captain Ron Wright.

R58484956
7th April 2016, 14:18
RIP Stan

Shipbuilder
7th April 2016, 16:05
Yes, a very nice person. Also an excellent magician. Mention of Ronnie Wright brings back happy memories of sailing with him in Windsor Castle and Reina del Mar! What became of him? He retired in the early 70s.
Bob

wayfarer
8th April 2016, 21:32
Sadly Ron died a few years ago up at his home on the Isle of Arran. Whilst he was home from sea in the summer he used to put his commodore's cap on and go on his son's boat when they took people on trips out into the harbour. We were often in port together in South Africa, as I was with Harrison's.

Shipbuilder
9th April 2016, 09:23
Sorry to hear about Commodore Wright's passing. Of all the mailship masters, I found him the best. Although only a 2nd R/O, I found him very approachable and professional. Sometimes, he would come into the radio office to "get away from it all," for half an hour or so. He began his sea career in Hungry Hogarths in the Baron Fairlie.
I have even known him to sit on the officers table in the Windsor Castle at lunchtime when there were no passengers at his table!
Bob

John Cassels
9th April 2016, 19:46
By chance just happened to open this thread and noticed the name Ronnie Wright.

My late father mentioned him many times with affection. They were childhood
friends in Millport and went to the same schools. Then during the war when my
dad was being trooped out to Egypt via the Cape , the ship was the Arundel Castle and to his great delight , Ronnie was 2nd.mate on her. He always said
that it made the trip a pleasure rather than an experience.

Chris Isaac
10th April 2016, 08:00
More about Ronnie Wright (http://www.bandcstaffregister.com/page1801.html)

John Cassels
10th April 2016, 08:41
Thanks Chris , my dear old dad would have loved to read .

Chris Isaac
10th April 2016, 08:49
Sorry to hear about Commodore Wright's passing. Of all the mailship masters, I found him the best. Although only a 2nd R/O, I found him very approachable and professional. Sometimes, he would come into the radio office to "get away from it all," for half an hour or so. He began his sea career in Hungry Hogarths in the Baron Fairlie.
I have even known him to sit on the officers table in the Windsor Castle at lunchtime when there were no passengers at his table!
Bob

Bob
I am glad you have the same recollections as myself. Many found him a bit dour bit to me he was quite the contrary. I sailed with him on Rotherwick Castle and Reina Del Mar (I think you were there at the same time). Like you I always found him very approachable and always had a bit of a "twinkle" in his eye, he enjoyed a good chuckle.

wayfarer
11th April 2016, 14:40
Bob

Yes it was sad to hear of his passing. He was chairman of our seamen's mission as well. Lovely man.

RGascoyne
18th September 2016, 18:18
Saddened to hear of the passing of both Stan Harron and Commodore Wright. I sailed a number of voyages with both and they were magnificent gentlemen and a pleasure to serve under. I have many fond memories of them.
On those ships, each were a main force in the excellent atmosphere and comradery, ensuring that everyone was included in the life on board. I was lucky to meet them on what were the happiest ships in the fleet back then.

Puffin's skipper
31st October 2016, 03:45
Yes, a very nice person. Also an excellent magician. Mention of Ronnie Wright brings back happy memories of sailing with him in Windsor Castle and Reina del Mar! What became of him? He retired in the early 70s.
Bob
Can you tell me anything about Reina del Mar? I have very dim recollections of this passenger ship, I think the Panama Canal & Valpariso, Chile & Peru are remembered vaugely but these are well old memories, fifties perhaps?

Chris Isaac
31st October 2016, 09:42
Her Union-Castle service can be found here : Reina del Mar (http://www.bandcstaffregister.com/page211.html)

Puffin's skipper
31st October 2016, 19:02
Her Union-Castle service can be found here : Reina del Mar (http://www.bandcstaffregister.com/page211.html)

Many, many thanks for that picture of her Chris.. We had a similar one of this lovely ship pinned on our classroom wall when I was about 10.. When she was owned by PSNC... Our teacher had a brother aboard her and the whole class "charted" the course he took on his voyages to S.America and back.. with postcards home from him sent at every port. This ship and our 'Uncle Jack's' tales of South America are what totaly inspired me as a lad.. My mates were seemingly happy to join factories in smoky Leeds 5 years later but my dreams had all been aboard the "Queen of the Sea" and still were.. At 15 I was at the Vindi, just after my 16th birthday at sea myself.. Never did see the Reina Del Mar or many other passenger boats, all cargo, tramps & tankers apart from an odd Shaw Saville run job but around 1957 the Reina was the ship that first "started" my wander lust and for that I will allways be eternally grateful to her..(Flowers)