Hello from Trot Sentry

Trot Sentry
19th November 2007, 17:44
Hi There.

Just written my first post in the 'Bearwood' thread.

I've been introduced to this board by another member - don't know his username as I post. Won't use his real name at present with respect to any privacy he has set on this site.

Some fantastic pictures in the gallery. Hope I'll be able to add to the mix in due course, especially some I took of the Warships that were based at Birkenhead that regretably closed back in early 2006. (HMS Plymouth, HMS Onyx, HMS Bronington and the U boat).

Best wishes to all members.

Peter4447
19th November 2007, 17:48
A very warm welcome to the site Trot Sentry.
With a handle like that you couldnt be anything other than an ex-submariner!
A good few grey funnel members onboard so make yourself at home.

Peter4447

Trot Sentry
19th November 2007, 18:00
A very warm welcome to the site Trot Sentry.
With a handle like that you couldnt be anything other than an ex-submariner!
A good few grey funnel members onboard so make yourself at home.

Peter4447

I guess I was lucky that the name was free, given you have a fair few members.

Steve Woodward
19th November 2007, 18:38
Trot Sentry - welcome to SN, looking forward to your future postings
Steve

Gulpers
19th November 2007, 18:45
Trot Sentry,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
There is every chance that you will meet old shipmates on this site so, have a good look round and join in the banter as much as possible.
Beware, it is addictive! (Thumb)

Trot Sentry
19th November 2007, 21:07
Trot Sentry,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
There is every chance that you will meet old shipmates on this site so, have a good look round and join in the banter as much as possible.
Beware, it is addictive! (Thumb)

Dare you say as additive as another site I subscribe to (lostoppos.co.uk) or am I risking a ban by mentioning them?! (Gleam)

Must admit, I've never been to Ynys Mon. One day, maybe.

K urgess
19th November 2007, 21:11
Welcome aboard from northern East Yorkshire.
I would say as addictive as anything you've found so far.
A few submariners aboard including some from across the western ocean.
Join in and enjoy the yoyage.

benjidog
19th November 2007, 22:36
Welcome from the North of England.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

trotterdotpom
19th November 2007, 22:55
Welcome Trot, for the benefit of those of us who only worked on the surface, can you explain the meaning of "Trot Sentry"?

John T.

Bruce Carson
20th November 2007, 00:48
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
We're glad you are enjoying our site and will be looking forward to your postings.

Bruce

gdynia
20th November 2007, 03:25
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
20th November 2007, 11:39
Greetings from the south of England. Bon voyage.

Trot Sentry
20th November 2007, 12:11
Welcome Trot, for the benefit of those of us who only worked on the surface, can you explain the meaning of "Trot Sentry"?

John T.

Not sure as to its roots, but as a Trot Sentry, you were tasked with sitting by the Control console in the Submarine's control room, taking readings off the panel and operating panel functions as directed, taking messages other parts of ships, hourly rounds of the forward parts of the sub.

There was also the casing sentry. His task was to met and greet visitors, check their details and forward regular readings of the draft forward and aft (ie how high or low the submarine was lying on the water alongside).

trotterdotpom
20th November 2007, 14:01
Thanks, Trot, wonder where the name came from. Is it used only on submarines?

John T.

Trot Sentry
20th November 2007, 19:25
Thanks, Trot, wonder where the name came from. Is it used only on submarines?

John T.

As far as I'm aware. The majority of my time was with the Submarine Service, and I don't think the term extended into General Service ie the surface fleet. I'm sure there would be terms that were unique to certain parts of the Royal Navy.

Peter4447
20th November 2007, 21:20
I believe it comes from the days when several submarines were moored alongside each other and the collective term was a 'trot' hence the submariner who stood in his greatcoat on the casing by the brow was the 'trot sentry'. I was serving in the 'Adamant' back in the early 60's and we visited Falmouth where at one point we had 13 boats moored alongside - I have an ariel photo of it somewhere I must dig it out.

Unfortunately the little Pinnances that were based at HMS Ganges and used run to Harwich and Felixstowe were also know as 'Trot boats' but I am unsure as to whether this was a term that had just been adopted by the locals or had been taken into use because of the Harwich Reserve Fleet which again was moored several deep and they may well have been called 'trots' of destroyers, frigates or whatever.

Peter4447(Thumb)

Trot Sentry
20th November 2007, 21:42
I believe it comes from the days when several submarines were moored alongside each other and the collective term was a 'trot' hence the submariner who stood in his greatcoat on the casing by the brow was the 'trot sentry'. I was serving in the 'Adamant' back in the early 60's and we visited Falmouth where at one point we had 13 boats moored alongside - I have an ariel photo of it somewhere I must dig it out.

Unfortunately the little Pinnances that were based at HMS Ganges and used run to Harwich and Felixstowe were also know as 'Trot boats' but I am unsure as to whether this was a term that had just been adopted by the locals or had been taken into use because of the Harwich Reserve Fleet which again was moored several deep and they may well have been called 'trots' of destroyers, frigates or whatever.

Peter4447(Thumb)

After this explanation and checking online I must appologise for the confusion.

The sentry on the casing would be the 'Trot Sentry' with the control room sentry called 'Lower Trot'

Sorry, its been a while.

Peter4447
20th November 2007, 21:47
No problem Trot Sentry.

When I was serving in the RN all submariners were volunteers and my branch did not serve in boats but despite this, I had three drafts on the trot (no pun intended) to 'Dolphin' 'Forth' and 'Adamant' so I got pretty familiar with the terminology used in the old A and T Boats!

Made me wonder if they were trying to tell me something(Jester)

Kind regards
Peter(Thumb)

Trot Sentry
21st November 2007, 09:53
No problem Trot Sentry.

When I was serving in the RN all submariners were volunteers and my branch did not serve in boats but despite this, I had three drafts on the trot (no pun intended) to 'Dolphin' 'Forth' and 'Adamant' so I got pretty familiar with the terminology used in the old A and T Boats!

Made me wonder if they were trying to tell me something(Jester)

Kind regards
Peter(Thumb)

I was a volunteer, Peter (or was just to appease my old submariner dad, rest his soul).

One lad who was initially press ganged into the service was in my class at HMS Dolphin.

When asked what class of sub he wanted he quickly replied 'A GMD in Pompey!'.

Despite that he was still in subs 7 years later when I spotted him before I left the mob.

(Just a quick PS to my being here. I was brought on board by 'applebee'.)

Riptide
25th November 2007, 22:43
Hello & welcome Trot sentry.I sailed with a few ex submariners in the 70s,
great guys and they showered every day.
Kenny.

Trot Sentry
26th November 2007, 12:26
Hello & welcome Trot sentry.I sailed with a few ex submariners in the 70s,
great guys and they showered every day.
Kenny.

Nuclear Boys, eh, like me.

Even then if they stated they showered every day, alongside time aside, they lied.

My two subs were equipped with two water distillers, one produce more than the other, but was very noisy.

So the quieter, less productive one was mostly in operaration on patrol so the showers were rarely used in that mode.

Trot Sentry
12th December 2007, 14:12
A quick heads up to all. As promised in the first in this thread, I would post some pics of my visit to the Historic Warships back in Feb 2006, sadly its last weekend of trading.

Check out the 'Ships of Royal Navy' section. The 'World Navies' section contains the pics I took of the U Boat on site at the time.