Bill Armstrong
22nd November 2007, 17:05
Hi all. I've joined this forum today, hoping to hear from others who find the shapes of present-day ships depressing. I found the site whilst Googling colliers and chanced upon messages about CEGB ships, e.g., Sir William Walker. I've got several slides of this ship and her sisters (his brothers?!) that I took at Shoreham from 1968 onwards, to the chorus of my family to the effect that I'd already photographed her.
I'm a retired 63 (almost 64) year old local government officer and have an interest in all forms of historic mechanical transport, although I admit that railways loom largest (there's honesty); also anything driven by steam.
May I ask something that's been at the back of my mind for decades although I realise that it's probably a very long shot? It concerns the eastern end of Shoreham harbour and the year in question would be probably 1951/2 (at any rate when Brighton, Hove & District still had covered top AEC Regent buses in service). There was a ship moored there on the southern side which had most definitely seen better days and was there for all of the two weeks that I spent on holiday nearby. Does anyone know the identity of this vessel?
Apologies for rabbiting on.
Best wishes to all, Bill Armstrong.

K urgess
22nd November 2007, 17:17
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Bill.
Steam rules! I'm sure our ship has a triple expansion engine down below.
Find your way around and enjoy the voyage.

non descript
22nd November 2007, 17:21
Bill, a warm welcome aboard to you; enjoy the site and all it has to offer. We look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

Steve Woodward
22nd November 2007, 18:52
Welcome to SN Bill, enjoy your time with us
Steve W

Gulpers
22nd November 2007, 19:46
Bill,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey.
I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
Since you share common interests with many of our members you will undoubtedly be exchanging messages before long. (Thumb)

benjidog
22nd November 2007, 23:59
Welcome from Lancashire.

You will find many here with similar views to your own.

You might also want to check out http://www.railwayforum.net/

Regards,

Brian

Frank P
23rd November 2007, 09:46
Welcome onboard Bill, enjoy the site.

Cheers Frank

R58484956
23rd November 2007, 11:47
Greetings Bill to SN. Bon voyage.

gdynia
24th November 2007, 05:05