Hello

mcotting
4th December 2007, 13:49
Looks like a wonderful web site... Glad to be here. Am just starting to find my way around.
First shipped as deck cadet aboard SS Santa Maria (Prudential-Grace Lines at the time) in 1972. Presently still shipping, usually as second or, sometimes, chief mate (US flag, containerships and tankers).
I reside on the Gulf coast of Florida with my "Port Captain" of 26 years.

non descript
4th December 2007, 13:52
mcotting, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage.

Bruce Carson
4th December 2007, 14:32
From a cold Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
It won't take you long to find your way around, so make yourself at home here and enjoy all that we have to offer.

Bruce

Steve Woodward
4th December 2007, 15:39
mcotting + Port Captain, Welcome to SN from a slightly milder Suffolk ( the finest bit of England) - enjoy your time with us
Steve

R58484956
4th December 2007, 15:57
Greetings mcotting and welcome from a member in the beautiful south of England. Enjoy the site and all that goes with. Nice introduction you gave. Bon voyage.

K urgess
4th December 2007, 16:37
Welcome to the crew from dark and wet northern England.
You better get free pratique from your port captain or there'll be complaints about your turnaround times once you get aboard this ship.
Enjoy the voyage.

Derek Roger
4th December 2007, 16:41
Welcome from Canada . Wish I was down on the Gulf coast Now !! 14 inches of snow down today and still more coming .
Regards Derek

Gulpers
4th December 2007, 21:38
mcotting,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
Join in our discussions and I am sure you will get many hours of pleasure from your membership. (Thumb)

benjidog
4th December 2007, 22:25
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy this site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
5th December 2007, 08:28
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

tunatownshipwreck
5th December 2007, 19:08
Welcome to the site. Did you ever sail with Hank Ramvick, Tim Boehm or his father? I'll eventually remember other friends who sailed on States Line, but these guys were all from my corner of the country (Astoria).

mcotting
6th December 2007, 01:19
Welcome to the site. Did you ever sail with Hank Ramvick, Tim Boehm or his father? I'll eventually remember other friends who sailed on States Line, but these guys were all from my corner of the country (Astoria).
Hello Eric,
Sorry, but don't know those fellows. I only sailed for States Lines ("Hungry Worm" lines) once, as deck cadet on the Michigan in '72, which is when those pictures were taken. Trying to remember the captain's and mate's names...... Must be Alzheimers kicking in...
Regards,
Mike

tunatownshipwreck
6th December 2007, 01:43
Hello Eric,
Sorry, but don't know those fellows. I only sailed for States Lines ("Hungry Worm" lines) once, as deck cadet on the Michigan in '72, which is when those pictures were taken. Trying to remember the captain's and mate's names...... Must be Alzheimers kicking in...
Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike
I once visited old Michigan (built in 1941), but never on the Michigan you worked on. Ramvick was deck crew, I think, old man Boehm was chief steward, his son Tim a messman, but I don't know if any of them were on the Michigan at that time. I was also once aboard the old Santa Maria (built 1941), but not quite the same ship you knew. I think a captain from States Line later became a bar pilot here, can't recall the name.
Eric