My memories of long ago

spongebob
13th December 2007, 05:33
As a 73 year old ex marine engineer my memories of 50 years ago were brought to the fore by the 2007 fire aboard the "Cutty Sark" in its Grenwich dock and to the loss of another merchant sailing ship 50 years before.
I wrote a piece as attached for a local boating magazine but it remained unpublished due to a lack of current interest in the events.
Some Ship Nostalgia readers may have had similar associations and I would be pleased to comunicate with them.

Having said that I am finding it difficult to attach a copy of my story

Regards

Bob Jenkins

I am tickled pink to find and join SN forum and thanks to benjidog, I believe that I have successfully posted my story re Cutty Sark.
I was only at sea as a Marine Engineer for a little less than five years but looking back I have never lost my interest in and my yen for the sea going fraternity.
I guess my interest started as a boy in NZ, my father had immigrated from London to Australia by working as a steward on the passenger liner 'Euripides' in the early 1920's, got homesick a couple of years later and stowed away in Brisbane on board the steamer 'Jevis Bay" for the journey home. He was found a couple of days out to sea and signed on to ship's articles as an ordinary seaman and made to scrub canvas hatch covers etc all the way to London where he arrived fit, healthy and as brown as a berry to collect his earnings of one shilling per month.
Jevis Bay became famous during WW2 when as an armed merchant cruiser she defended a British convoy against the German Battle Cruiser 'Admiral Speer" in the Atlantic. Jervis Bay steamed directly at the enemy with the intent to ram but the 'Speer' turned broadside on and blasted the Jervis Bay out of the water. The action enabled the convoy to escape under the cover of approaching darkness and the Jervis Bay Captain was awarded aposthumous Victoria Cross.
My father quickly tired of London after a few months and after the freedom and adventure of Austalia so he again packed his bags and re-emigrated to New Zealand as a passenger on the Shaw Saville ship SS Pakeha.
Dad was a story teller and his frequent recalls over the years of my childhood kept my interest alive. He had me destined to become an electrical engineer until my last year at secondary school when we had a young relieving physics teacher who had sailed as an engineer on the infamous Murmansk convoys during WW2 and later on the Queen Mary while she was a trooper on the Atlantic run. He was easily led away from the lessons and told us many adventure stories of those times, stories about ice forming on the rigging in the North Sea and ice forming around the boiler main stop valve! plus how the QM used to come out into the Solent and thrust away at full speed to avoid any lurking German Submarines. The upshot of all this was that I went home to tell my father that electrical engineering was out and that I was off to sea. Five years later after an apprentiship at the NZ Devonport Dockyard I finally sailed as Junior Engineer on RMS Rangitane to the UK to begin those very enjoyable five years.

gdynia
13th December 2007, 06:11
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

non descript
13th December 2007, 07:41
Bob, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage.

J Boyde
13th December 2007, 07:51
Bob, I am a mere 67 old, and yes I have problems having articals, and letters to papers. Just keep on keeping on. NZ has some strange ideas on articals occasionaly, and letters to papers. The some of my letters to MPs dont always get a response.
Jim B

Steve Woodward
13th December 2007, 09:24
Bob, welcome to SN if you are having trouble with your attachment just send a PM asking for help, looking forwards to reading your story
Steve

K urgess
13th December 2007, 12:07
Welcome to the crew, Bob.
I'm sure we would all be interested to read your article.
It may be best to start a new thread and cut and paste it into it rather tha attach it.
As Steve says, if you have problems just PM a moderatore and we'll help as much as possible.
Find your way around our happy ship and enjoy the trip.

R58484956
13th December 2007, 12:45
Greetings Bob and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

benjidog
13th December 2007, 22:53
Welcome to SN from Lancashire Bob.

I am sure you are going to enjoy the site.

The easiest way to get your article in here is to cut and paste it. In case you are not too familiar with computers this is what I mean:

1. Open your article in your word processor or whatever you created it in, select all the text using the mouse
2. Copy it to the clipboard using your favourite method (e.g. to to Edit - Copy on the menu).
3. Start posting a reply to this thread in SN and move the cursor into the Message box.
4. Paste the text from the clipboard using your favourite method (e.g. Edit-Paste from the menu).
5. If you want to add pictures, press the Go Advanced button and scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see options to add attachments.

Good luck!

Brian

Gulpers
13th December 2007, 23:21
Bob,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
There is every chance that you will meet old shipmates on this site so, have a good look round and join in the banter as much as possible.
Beware, it is addictive! (Thumb)

treeve
14th December 2007, 00:10
Welcome to you Bob. You will find a lot of people here that actually are
interested in your experiences. You are in the company of those that
have had articles rejected by publishers and newspapers.
I made some detailed research on Admiral Pellew and his life in Penzance
and so on, which had not been published elsewhere, together with some
very important letters which I had transcribed concerning the Isles of Scilly
... you would think the local newspaper would be interested, but no ...
So, put it here .. there will be a lot of eyes avidly reading ...
Best Wishes, Raymond

Bruce Carson
14th December 2007, 02:23
Bob, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
I think you will enjoy our site and our members will certainly enjoy your postings.
If you are still having problems getting your article onboard, click on my name or any other Moderator's name on this thread and a drop down box will give you the option of sending him a Private Message. Send one and we will get back to you with step by step help.

Bruce

billyboy
14th December 2007, 05:18
Welcome aboard from the Philippines Bob. Enjoy all this great site has to offer