Hello to all at S/N

Ian6
13th December 2007, 20:43
Hi
I served my time in tankers as a Deck Apprentice from 1954-8 before getting my 2nd Mates and joining P&O in 1959. There I was 4/O in Sunda and Strathmore, 1st Mates then 3/O in Pinjarra, Canton, Garonne & Malwa. I then joined the newly formed P&O company Trident Tankers as 2/O in Lincoln (transferred from NZS/Federal). Got my Masters in 1964 but left the sea 'temporarily' due to my Father's ill health on unpaid leave without loss of senoriority.
The need for some income made me apply for two jobs on the same day, advertised in the Daily Telegraph - assistant Harbour Master in a Mediterranean port and Trainee Systems Analyst with somewhere called IBM.
The job in the Med was at Beirut! fortunately I got the IBM job. On day 2 at IBM I met my future wife and decided computing was for me. No idea then that Beirut would turn into a hell-hole or that British shipping would all but disappear.
I've followed the correspondence on S/N for nearly 2 years without comment but have to praise the level of chat.
Look forward to joining in more in future. My wife (by coincidence her Father was at sea with NZS almost all his working life) and I are retired and live in Oxfordshire (not so much one of the home counties as the name of a Troopship!).
Regards
Ian

sparkie2182
13th December 2007, 20:57
hello ian, from cumbria.........:)

K urgess
13th December 2007, 21:31
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Ian.
Nice introduction that may get some crew members' grey matter stirring.
Find your way around and enjoy the trip.

Derek Roger
13th December 2007, 21:39
Welcome from Canada Ian > Look forward to your comments any any pictures you may wish to post .
Regards Derek

benjidog
13th December 2007, 23:00
Welcome from Lancashire and thanks for taking the trouble to introduce yourself.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Gulpers
13th December 2007, 23:29
Ian,

Thanks for taking the plunge and making your introductory post. (Applause)

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
There is every chance that you will meet old shipmates on this site so, have a good look round and join in the banter as much as possible.
Beware, it is addictive! (Thumb)

Bruce Carson
14th December 2007, 02:31
Ian, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
You know your way around our site and we will be looking forward to your postings.

Bruce

billyboy
14th December 2007, 05:15
Welcome aboard from the Philippines Ian. Enjoy all this great site has to offer.

gdynia
14th December 2007, 06:20
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
14th December 2007, 09:45
Greetings Ian and a warm welcome to SN from an ex Canton engineer. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.