On Shore and Afloat - Volume 1 - No. 7 – 30 September 1969

mikekhh
29th July 2016, 10:05
Dear All,

Hope some of the names below bring back memories.
Cheers
Mike

On Shore and Afloat - Volume 1 - No. 7 – 30 September 1969

City of Johannesburg some time ago under the command of Capt. HP Wharton.

Capt. FC O’Neill has recently been admitted to the Livery of the Honourable Company of Master Mariners and a Freeman of the City of London.

Mr. AJ Blackham retired on 01 Aug 1969. He joined in 1928 as a Deck Steward on City of Genoa and served as Chief Steward on City of Newcastle in 1935. His last vessel was City of Birmingham.

Mr. AC Cameron, who retired as Chief Engineer of City of Exeter on 01 Aug 1969 having joined that vessel in 1956. He commenced his service in 1939.

Mr. J. Hill, who joined as an Engineer in 1929. He became Chief Engineer in 1945 on City of Ripon. He was Chief Engineer of City of York when he retired on 01 Sep 1969.

Mr. R. Walker who joined Hall Line in 1929 and was appointed Chief Engineer in 1946, retired on 01 Aug 1969. His last vessel was City of Oxford.

Capt. John Campbell died at his home in Millport, Isle of Cumbrae, on 27 Aug 1969. He joined City Line as an Apprentice in Oct 1915 and was 2nd Officer on City of Glasgow when she was torpedoed in Sep 1918. From 1923 until 1927 he was Chief Officer of City of Marseilles and thereafter spent 7 years as Chief Officer of City of Nagpur before being given command of City of Kobe. In 1936 he retired due to ill health.

Mr. Douglas Monnickendam, who joined Hall Line in 1915 as Junior Engineer, died at Ayr on 26 Aug 1969. He was appointed Chief Engineer in 1942 and retired in October 1954. His last vessel was Empire Peacemaker.

Barrie Youde
31st July 2016, 15:17
Hi, Mike,

My own Ellerman connections are tenuous, but I can add the information that Captain AHG Jones died in late May or early June 1969. He had been Master of City of Port Elizabeth (and numerous others) and an Ellerman man all his life, starting as a Cadet in 1916.

He died peacefully at home, whilst my wife and I were away on honeymoon. He was a friend of my parents-in-law - had been at our wedding - and was a very decent egg.

Hope this might help your records.

mikekhh
1st August 2016, 02:07
Hi, Mike,

My own Ellerman connections are tenuous, but I can add the information that Captain AHG Jones died in late May or early June 1969. He had been Master of City of Port Elizabeth (and numerous others) and an Ellerman man all his life, starting as a Cadet in 1916.

He died peacefully at home, whilst my wife and I were away on honeymoon. He was a friend of my parents-in-law - had been at our wedding - and was a very decent egg.

Hope this might help your records.
Dear Barrie,
Many thanks for your input.
Cheers
Mike

holland25
1st August 2016, 04:28
Is there any record of a Clarence Challinor Chief Engineer of I think one of at least one of the passenger ships?

mikekhh
1st August 2016, 11:07
Is there any record of a Clarence Challinor Chief Engineer of I think one of at least one of the passenger ships?

Dear Holland 25,

Have you any idea when Clarence Challinor was Chief Engineer in Ellermans.
My earliest Crew Lists are dated 25 June 1968 and I cannot find his name in there. Sorry!
Cheers
Mike

holland25
1st August 2016, 13:59
I would think he would have been approaching retirement in the late 50s early 60s thanks for looking.

manolito_1
13th August 2016, 12:12
Does the following names ring a bell,people I sailed with in Ellermans.
Capt Briggs Capt Roberts Capt Sumpter Capt Rigg Capt Salter Capt Hines Capt Lumley Capt Owen C/E Munn 2/E Ken Porter