RFA DILIGENCE to be sold

James_C
4th August 2016, 21:45
Advert here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-of-sale-former-rfa-diligence-a-forward-repair-ship

No surprise as it had been expected for some time. I think she hadn't long been refitted.

NickNZ
5th August 2016, 23:24
She was refitted and upgraded in 2015, and it was recently announce that she would be put up for sale in 2020 (Obviously, some people mistook the time of the advert for the date).

Pat Kennedy
6th August 2016, 08:20
Diligence has been sitting in Bidston drydock, Birkenhead for over a year.

Basil
6th August 2016, 10:19
You must provide a summary (no more than 500 words) of your Further Use proposal which should include what the vessel will be used for and its final location.
The ship will most definitely not be used against Western interests or for killing the enemies of Islam or the wrong kind of Muslim, oh no, not at all,
Love and Peace to all,
ISIS xx

(Jester)

LouisB
6th August 2016, 10:54
The ship will most definitely not be used against Western interests or for killing the enemies of Islam or the wrong kind of Muslim, oh no, not at all,
Love and Peace to all,
ISIS xx

(Jester)

The vessel is perfectly and uniquely adapted for mechanically supporting a British Naval taskforce if one ever came to be needed again No doubt of some use to combined Naval forces although centered on UK vessels regarding spares etc. Seemingly never reported very much in the domestic media I am told that her utility was very much appreciated in the past. A one off requirement, Possibly?

LouisB. (Scribe)

Basil
6th August 2016, 11:52
The vessel is perfectly and uniquely adapted for mechanically supporting a British Naval taskforce if one ever came to be needed again . . I am told that her utility was very much appreciated in the past
The sale of which sends what kind of message to a potential enemy? I bloody well despair!

stevekelly10
6th August 2016, 12:53
Well I must be turning into Victor Meldew " I don't believe it " Having worked at Cammel Lairds on the contract to refit various RFA vessels including Diligence also Fort George , Fort Austin, Rosalie and Bayleaf ! the amount of money spent, Multi Millions only to sell and scrap the vessels afterwards just after the refits is criminal !! Somebody at the ministry of Defence need their backsides given a severe kicking ! That money could have definitely better been spent elsewhere. The NHS for one example ! (Cloud)

LouisB
6th August 2016, 14:15
Well I must be turning into Victor Meldew " I don't believe it " Having worked at Cammel Lairds on the contract to refit various RFA vessels including Diligence also Fort George , Fort Austin, Rosalie and Bayleaf ! the amount of money spent, Multi Millions only to sell and scrap the vessels afterwards just after the refits is criminal !! Somebody at the ministry of Defence need their backsides given a severe kicking ! That money could have definitely better been spent elsewhere. The NHS for one example ! (Cloud)

Probably speaking out of turn here BUT. After service cuts within the Naval Service or at least a reduction in ships and crews in the seventies I was serving on an RFA that was 'in reserve' and laying alongside up at Cochran in Scotland. She was in a bit of a neglected state and I wouldn't imagine she would be put back in service HOWEVER. Out of the blue we were sent for a major overhaul/refit at great expense. This was followed by virtually a world tour TESTING LIFERAFTS. This was a reasonably large vessel and was fully manned. It was a pleasant tour, I had my own fourteen foot Shakespeare sports boat c/w 40 HP Johnson longshaft fitted on board - very handy for banyans in the Seychelles. Shortly after return to less tropical waters we were again laid up and eventually disposed with. I am told that the ship became part of the requirements for Naval vessel reduction that had been agreed. One way of keeping your best vessels I suppose! Pip pip.

LouisB. (Scribe)

stevekelly10
6th August 2016, 15:10
I am very proud of our maritime heritage, having played my own very small part in it. However our predecessors must be turning in their graves, if they have one! British merchant navy virtually non existant, Royal navy latest type 45's underpowered to the extent that they risk "blacking out" if somebody turns a washing machine on (Jester) It's new aircraft carriers have no airplanes ! God help us if Jeremy Corbyn gets into power, as our Nuclear deterent subs will have No missiles in them and the final straw RFA spending a fortune to send ships to the scrap heap. Good Job the the Spanish Amarda is not on the horizon, as we have had it !. Rant over ! :)

BobClay
6th August 2016, 15:44
Strange isn't it how this fellow points out all the faults and then manages to blame Jeremy Corbyn !! Talk about BS.

stevekelly10
6th August 2016, 16:06
Strange isn't it how this fellow points out all the faults and then manages to blame Jeremy Corbyn !! Talk about BS.

I'd go to specsavers if I were you ! I didn't blame Jeremy Corbyn for it ! I just stated what would probably happen if he got into power. So if it's BS you have your own fair share of it !

McCloggie
6th August 2016, 16:27
While I agree that it is indeed sad that another RFA or indeed RN vessel is sold off, surely the question must be about how hold the vessel is?

If I remember correctly Diligence is an ex Stena offshore vessel, used in the Falklands in 1982 (yes, that was over thirty years ago now!) and then taken into the RFA fleet after that when the powers that be eventually realised that the offshore industry could actually teach them a thing or two.

So, we are talking about a vessel that must be almost 40 years old?

Sad to see her go but the important question must be what will replace her.

McC

LouisB
6th August 2016, 18:51
While I agree that it is indeed sad that another RFA or indeed RN vessel is sold off, surely the question must be about how hold the vessel is?

If I remember correctly Diligence is an ex Stena offshore vessel, used in the Falklands in 1982 (yes, that was over thirty years ago now!) and then taken into the RFA fleet after that when the powers that be eventually realised that the offshore industry could actually teach them a thing or two.

So, we are talking about a vessel that must be almost 40 years old?

Sad to see her go but the important question must be what will replace her.

McC

Partially agree - I would say that Diligence was a one off in respect to its role in the Falklands business, last minute panic buying maybe? The fact that we may never again sail en masse to war (we don't appear to have the masse any more) means that there does not appear to be a requirement for such a vessel. In any case there was nothing like that class of vessel before unless you count the post war depot ships, wartime conceived and were still around in Singapore when I was there in the sixties. All gone now of course. (Wave)

LouisB. (Scribe)

Satanic Mechanic
6th August 2016, 20:40
The sale of which sends what kind of message to a potential enemy?

We don't keep ancient clapped out ships?

NickNZ
6th August 2016, 21:40
Are you suggesting we build new ones?
I read that 'they' were " looking at" buying a replacement for about 30 million overseas, then refitting for a further 20 million. Sounds a reasonable idea. I'm not holding my breath though.

McCloggie
7th August 2016, 02:41
With the state the offshore industry is in just now, you could probably get a relatively new, advanced vessel very cheaply.

McC

GBXZ
7th August 2016, 06:50
There were two Stena’s

The Stena Seaspread was chartered in 1982 and used at first as a forward repair ship in the Falklands. The MOD were impressed and purchased her sister ship Stena Inspector, she was re-named RFA Diligence.
She was launched in 1981 and is probably well passed her “use by" or even her "best by” date. Spare parts may well difficult to source, and there is the probable lack of experience and knowledge to keep her operational. The RN fleet has also changed, no more steam ships (Leanders) and a great change from analogue to digital control systems.
RFA management will be pleased as it releases potential crew to man the new Tide class, and the RN is in a similar position with shortages of qualified technical crew.
As for the million pound refit, it was probably sufficient to keep her sea-worthy and within certification considering her age. Let her go.

stevekelly10
7th August 2016, 16:34
There were two Stena’s

The Stena Seaspread was chartered in 1982 and used at first as a forward repair ship in the Falklands. The MOD were impressed and purchased her sister ship Stena Inspector, she was re-named RFA Diligence.
She was launched in 1981 and is probably well passed her “use by" or even her "best by” date. Spare parts may well difficult to source, and there is the probable lack of experience and knowledge to keep her operational. The RN fleet has also changed, no more steam ships (Leanders) and a great change from analogue to digital control systems.
RFA management will be pleased as it releases potential crew to man the new Tide class, and the RN is in a similar position with shortages of qualified technical crew.
As for the million pound refit, it was probably sufficient to keep her sea-worthy and within certification considering her age. Let her go.

Just for the record as i stated earlier, I was involved at one of her recent refits. She was in very good condition for a vessel her age. However the amount spent on her refits is considerably more than 1 million and to keep her seaworthy you don't have to fit a brand new extra generator or renew most of the bridge equipment. the accomodation was also totally refurbished. :(