Apprentices over time

Howieneilbaby
2nd September 2016, 05:49
I remember the sad day this happend ,i was one of 5 apprentices on the Clarkforth working long hours and making lots of cash, we still worked the same hours for a small pay rise ,to bad said the mate at least your study leave will be better paid.We were running grain states to JAPEN hold cleaning shifting boards feeder boxes took all the ballast trips ,and painting and more painting with a bit of splicing in bad weather she was a lovley ship white hull green boot toping,the fastest tramp in the Pacific.the other apps where PeteBloomer Bryce Brown Dave from Leith ,and Paul from London, we had a full British crew joined in Liverpool paid off in Long beach 9 months later .I was 6 days short of of time for time for 2nd mates6 days short later

weatherwise
9th June 2017, 23:15
On the "Clarkforth" I recall a fellow apprentice signing for 301 hours overtime for the month....I only got 298 'cos he was more careful in keeping check! Around six weeks later, the Mate called me up to the bridge to discuss a letter the Master had received from the Office with regard to Cadets' Hours worked v. Study Time....a week, I recall, of the current month had passed. "How many hours Ovies have you got since the beginning of the month, lad, was the question.
The answer was "66", Sir (sixty - six hours for the Week) Happy Days !!!

Colin P Wood
10th June 2017, 02:40
Sounds like Pacific Reliance, 0700 on a sunday in Vancouver, I am painting the deckhead in passengers lounge when the Captain P D F Owens tells me he has had to write to the Shell company as his son a cadet there was having to work to hard.
Sailed from L A homeward bound and old man calls me to his cabin (I was senior cadet) and tells me he has a letter from the office saying we were behind in our correspondence course. I advised that cadets on other ships had a day off each week to do correspondence course. His reply was 'You can have sunday off. That lasted 1 week but we had lost 10 hours overtime.

Alistair Macnab
10th June 2017, 05:10
In Bank Line there was no such thing as overtime. We worked until the job was done. It never seemed to bother us Apprentices as the entire experience was part of our training to be seamen and officers. I must admit, though, that when our Apprentices became Cadets there might have been some changes in the remuneration.

In any case, many of our senior Apprentices were given the chance to be Acting Third Mates for the latter part of their apprenticeship so there was always the chance of the opportunity to amass some sheckels before going up for tickets.

Incidentally, I was the only Second Mate candidate in Glasgow that was being paid by the company and not on the dole. That was Bank Line. Penny pinching in one area but completely generous in another.

woodend
10th June 2017, 09:20
Like Alistair, we didn't get overtime as Apprentice in E.D.'s if there was work to be done we were there. We had our own rules mind if it wasn't nailed, down, lashed down or very well protected it was ours! We flogged things for our beer money and 'go ashore'! I admit I pinched a delivery bike with front delivery tray that carried 24 quart bottles from outside a well known Cape Town dock pub bottle store. Quick paint job and ships name on name plate and everyone when in port who wanted cold fresh milk for breakfast got it....at a price. Used to leave the ship at 0530 and be back in time for turn to. Great days.....THEN!

NoR
10th June 2017, 10:36
On the "Clarkforth" I recall a fellow apprentice signing for 301 hours overtime for the month....I only got 298 'cos he was more careful in keeping check! Around six weeks later, the Mate called me up to the bridge to discuss a letter the Master had received from the Office with regard to Cadets' Hours worked v. Study Time....a week, I recall, of the current month had passed. "How many hours Ovies have you got since the beginning of the month, lad, was the question.
The answer was "66", Sir (sixty - six hours for the Week) Happy Days !!!

Yes I recall that. The 4-8 was the best for overtime. 0900 - 1200, 1300-1600 = 6 hours a day 10 on Sunday and a whopping 14 on Sunday 2/4 d per hour latterly.

Ian Lawson
10th June 2017, 11:17
Overtime for apprentices? Is this a wind up? In Tatems (T on the Funnel and FA in the fridge) we were worked hard and that was it!!!!

NoR
10th June 2017, 12:14
Overtime for apprentices? Is this a wind up? In Tatems (T on the Funnel and FA in the fridge) we were worked hard and that was it!!!!

I was a cadet. We didn't sign indentures and we got overtime.

Cadets usually fall under the generic title 'apprentice' but there is a difference.

Ian Lawson
10th June 2017, 18:25
Well understood NOR. Apologies I was probably being influenced by the thread title.

China hand
10th June 2017, 18:45
Alistair will also have sung this:-

When I get back my indentures
Oh, how happy I will be.
No more turning to on Sunday,
No more overtime for me.
Or if I do it I'll be paid for it,
Paid in good old El Es Dee.
When I get back my indentures
Oh, how happy I will be.

There was another version about When this two year trip is over, but I forget the words.

Robert Hilton
10th June 2017, 19:18
Never heard of overtime when I was an apprentice. "Job and finish," for the sailors used to mean knock off when the job is finished. For us it meant carry on working until the job is finished. One evening in Buenos Aires we were hurrying to finish and get ashore when one of us missed his hold on a steel ladder, fell from 'tween deck to lower hold and was killed.

howardang
11th June 2017, 11:43
I was an apprentice and no such thing as overtime. However, when my apprenticeship finished we were in Buenos Aires and so I was signed on as an AB. From then on I worked all the hours I could to earn overtime, but the Chief officer didn't realise and was crestfallen when I presented my hours to him at the end of the trip. The extra cash came in very handy!

Howard

slick
11th June 2017, 12:07
ALL,
Hain's S.S. paid their Apprentices overtime (Goody - Goody), the Mates trick was to get as much overtime on the Charterer's Bill that wasn't just the Cargo Work but anything painting cleaning "shifting boards" what was the maxim "once on demurrage always on demurrage".
One mate as a sweetener would tell us after a particularly tough evolution to book it as a double!
Yours aye,
slick

kudu
11th June 2017, 16:39
I was an apprentice in Stag line.Going up the Great lakes,we were often up for forty eight hours or more,going through the Seaway and Welland canal. Continuous overtime.Most of my payoff at the end of a trip was overtime.Hosing holds,fitting shifting boards.Unloading manganese in Chicago,and then a couple of days to completely clean the holds,before loading grain in Duluth or Thunder Bay on Lake Superior,then back down through the Lakes system again.The company would not of been able to operate without the deck Apprentices on overtime,in my opinion.

George Bis
17th October 2017, 17:26
I seem to remember Weekend Work In Port money but I am not sure that as a Denholms cadet I got it. There was talk of it.