Memory cards

Dickyboy
6th September 2016, 14:47
Are there better quality cards for my two bog standard Canon cameras?
I have a Canon SX30is a bridge camera and a Canon SX230hs pocket camera. Both are fairly good and I use standard hc? cards.
I take a lot of ships photos in poor, misty, hazy early morning light, the subjects usually around one or two miles away.
I don't really want to change the cameras, and was just wondering if the quality of my pictures could be improved by using higher quality cards and getting more pixels for my bucks.
I'm just a happy snapper really, and don't really want to go for higher quality cameras or invest in a camera with high quality interchangeable lenses.
I'm always disappointed with the results I get, except in broad daylight when both cameras work quite well.
Tweaking with my software can help, but I rarely get pictures that are as good as my Mk 1 eyeballs.

LouisB
6th September 2016, 15:25
Are there better quality cards for my two bog standard Canon cameras?
I have a Canon SX30is a bridge camera and a Canon SX230hs pocket camera. Both are fairly good and I use standard hc? cards.
I take a lot of ships photos in poor, misty, hazy early morning light, the subjects usually around one or two miles away.
I don't really want to change the cameras, and was just wondering if the quality of my pictures could be improved by using higher quality cards and getting more pixels for my bucks.
I'm just a happy snapper really, and don't really want to go for higher quality cameras or invest in a camera with high quality interchangeable lenses.
I'm always disappointed with the results I get, except in broad daylight when both cameras work quite well.
Tweaking with my software can help, but I rarely get pictures that are as good as my Mk 1 eyeballs.

The basic difference in HC (High Capacity) memory cards is the speed at which they process information. Obviously the faster cards can make the loading time between shots a lot quicker, or as quick as the cameras internal electronics can operate. They have no connection with the focusing of the camera lens They come in a variety of 'flavours' and I have enclosed a shortcut that explains it all'

http://www.integralmemory.com/faq/cards-what-difference-between-sdhc-and-sd-cards

Hope this helps as it can be a minefield!

LouisB (Scribe)

BobClay
6th September 2016, 15:29
I'm not familiar with that camera, but I believe from what I've googled it's a 14 megapixel. While it's a good idea always to use the best quality storage cards, they are literally that, storage, the picture quality will always be dictated by the lens and the sensor pixel count.
I'm assuming you've got the resolution set to it's highest setting on the camera (this means much larger files but that's why you should use best quality storage.) If you're using magnification with your shots you have to realise the resolution/light will fall off as you go. The primary consideration with digital cameras is the pixel count of the sensor. Fourteen isn't bad, but it's been well surpassed by now.
Some years ago I bought a Canon E550D second hand on Ebay with an 18-55mm telephoto lens, a very versatile size. I eventually bought a more powerful lens but I have to say in all fairness the 18x55 is still my favourite. The camera itself is 18 megapixel.
I too am only a snapper, but take a lot of shots outside, mountains, sea views, and so on which is why I wanted an interchangeable lens (with stabilisation.)
Then a year ago I decided to buy a pocket camera, (the E550D is rather bulky and heavy) and settled on a Canon IXUS 275 HS which is so much easier to carry. Not much larger than a Swan Vestas matchbox, but both optical and digital zoom and 24 megapixels. You can't change the lens on it, but you can slip it into your shirt pocket.
The Mark 1 eyeball is probably the most beautiful optical instrument in existence on this planet, but remember, most of what you see through it is mightily processed by the brain.

John Rogers
6th September 2016, 15:31
Its all in the lens Dickyboy, I dont think a better memory card will help you just like LouisB mentioned. Hock your old cameras and buy a new one.

Dickyboy
6th September 2016, 15:46
Many thanks everyone :)
So basically better cards won't make much, if any difference. It's all down to the processor within the camera, right?
I may get a better camera SLR perhaps with RAW available.
But then another question arises, Will the pictures appear MUCH better on my computer screen?
If so what Cannon would anyone recommend?
MY HD videos are brilliant! :)

jimthehat
6th September 2016, 16:34
Its all in the lens Dickyboy, I dont think a better memory card will help you just like LouisB mentioned. Hock your old cameras and buy a new one.

Hocking your old camera is no good,I have been trying to sell my Panasonic lumix FZ38(bridge camera)All of the camera shops that I have tried do not want it,the 2 local pawn broker type shops will only offer 30 for a 300 camera ,still with its own box and all the bits.

I have decided to keep the camera but i am going out tomorrow to buy a Sony WX350,small ,light and with all the mod cons,
jim+

John Rogers
6th September 2016, 16:35
Many thanks everyone :)
So basically better cards won't make much, if any difference. It's all down to the processor within the camera, right?
I may get a better camera SLR perhaps with RAW available.
But then another question arises, Will the pictures appear MUCH better on my computer screen?
If so what Cannon would anyone recommend?
MY HD videos are brilliant! :)

Go to the shop and try the Canon and a Sony,then buy the one that does the trick for you.

Dickyboy
6th September 2016, 17:04
Looking at an EOS750D. Looks pretty good to me. Currys offer a 2nd lens (Zoom) for around 70 Quid. One complaint frequent in the reviews is the cost pf a 2nd battery. Early makes of this model had a product recall as well, but that was over a year ago, so I expect the prob' has been resolved by now. People also say that the AUTO is very good as well.
Not worth selling the old one methinks, believe it or not I have friends, yes friends! who might like it for a pint or two. :)

BobClay
6th September 2016, 18:02
At 24 megapixel I think you'll find a considerable difference with that camera. Coupled with stabilised lenses easily switched with a simple click. I can only judge from mine, an earlier model of that series but I've been very pleased with it. With just the 18-55 zoomed up I got this picture from the gallery a couple of months ago on Lundy Island, well north of where the Oldenberg was berthed.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/520/lundy3.jpg

LouisB
6th September 2016, 18:44
@Dickyboy

Just adding to my previous posting re focusing etc. I have used digital cameras since their inception and now do my own printing up to A2 size. This can always show up any lens or focusing faults in the original photo'. Most (but not all) of the non professional cameras use a focusing system based on contrast i.e. it looks for the difference in brightness in the area that you wish to photograph. Once you have 'zoomed' into that area, try half depressing the 'shoot' button. This will then focus the camera to the greatest difference of contrast within the shot you wish to take. If there is insufficient light the focus system will hunt and you will probably end up out of focus when you press the button all the way to take the shot. If shooting in low/ish light try altering the aperture to around f5.6 and compensate the smaller intake of light by raising the iso to around 800/1000. Another 'silly' suggestion is to ensure that the lens is absolutely spotless - believe me, it does make a difference in a small sensor camera.

LouisB. (Scribe)

Mad Landsman
6th September 2016, 18:46
I have had Canon EOS cameras for some years now, film and digital.
The main issue with Canon digital SLRs is something called 'anti-ailiasing' which they use to prevent interference patterns on strips and similar.
Nikon do not use it and 'claim' that the end result might be sharper without it - well they would wouldn't they.
Anti-aliasing is really any use when the mega-pixel count is around the 7 to 15 mark. The newer 20+ mega-pixel cameras should not need it, in theory.
I have just bought a new EOS760D . Reasons being: I have a load of Canon lenses; It can record video; It has very similar controls to my previous cameras, but is smaller and lighter.
Downside is that my old CF cards do not fit and I have had to invest in some new SD HC/XC cards - CF and standard SD are too slow for video apparently.

Dickyboy
6th September 2016, 19:02
This is a pic I took some years ago with a Fine Pix. Similar to the results I get I get with my current one. Of course a lot of detail is lost when a pic' has to be reduced to fit into the forum Gallery. It's not broad daylight photo's I have problems with, it's ones taken in low light misty, hazy conditions usually in the morning.
If I took photo's an "Normal" times I wouldn't have a problem, but the Cruise ships and others tend to arrive in the Solent around 05.00 so that's when I want to try and get better quality photo's.

Duncan112
6th September 2016, 19:17
Looking at an EOS750D. Looks pretty good to me. Currys offer a 2nd lens (Zoom) for around 70 Quid. One complaint frequent in the reviews is the cost pf a 2nd battery. Early makes of this model had a product recall as well, but that was over a year ago, so I expect the prob' has been resolved by now. People also say that the AUTO is very good as well.
Not worth selling the old one methinks, believe it or not I have friends, yes friends! who might like it for a pint or two. :)

Try 7dayshop for your battery Dickyboy 4.49 each plus delivery (Courier as the Post Office won't deliver Lithium Cells) always get my Nikon batteries from there https://www.7dayshop.com/digital-camera-batteries

Dickyboy
6th September 2016, 19:18
@Dickyboy

Just adding to my previous posting re focusing etc. I have used digital cameras since their inception and now do my own printing up to A2 size. This can always show up any lens or focusing faults in the original photo'. Most (but not all) of the non professional cameras use a focusing system based on contrast i.e. it looks for the difference in brightness in the area that you wish to photograph. Once you have 'zoomed' into that area, try half depressing the 'shoot' button. This will then focus the camera to the greatest difference of contrast within the shot you wish to take. If there is insufficient light the focus system will hunt and you will probably end up out of focus when you press the button all the way to take the shot. If shooting in low/ish light try altering the aperture to around f5.6 and compensate the smaller intake of light by raising the iso to around 800/1000. Another 'silly' suggestion is to ensure that the lens is absolutely spotless - believe me, it does make a difference in a small sensor camera.

LouisB. (Scribe)
Thanks Louis I've never tried altering the aperture, but I do half press the button, and let auto do the work, with poor effect. :(

Dickyboy
6th September 2016, 19:34
Try 7dayshop for your battery Dickyboy 4.49 each plus delivery (Courier as the Post Office won't deliver Lithium Cells) always get my Nikon batteries from there https://www.7dayshop.com/digital-camera-batteries
Had a look on there. Great value. Curry's don't list much in the way of batteries. Certainly not the EP-E17 that I would require.

Mad Landsman
6th September 2016, 20:32
The LP-E17 batteries are available from many e-bay sellers at a good price.
Do not bother. They are second hand, or at least 'previously used'.
I bought one and when the 'problem' was pointed out the seller offered half my money back, which I accepted, one time only.

7dayshop have not got them listed as yet.

John Rogers
6th September 2016, 20:37
This is a pic I took some years ago with a Fine Pix. Similar to the results I get I get with my current one. Of course a lot of detail is lost when a pic' has to be reduced to fit into the forum Gallery. It's not broad daylight photo's I have problems with, it's ones taken in low light misty, hazy conditions usually in the morning.
If I took photo's an "Normal" times I wouldn't have a problem, but the Cruise ships and others tend to arrive in the Solent around 05.00 so that's when I want to try and get better quality photo's.

Very nice photo Dickyboy.(Thumb)

Dickyboy
6th September 2016, 20:56
The LP-E17 batteries are available from many e-bay sellers at a good price.
Do not bother. They are second hand, or at least 'previously used'.
I bought one and when the 'problem' was pointed out the seller offered half my money back, which I accepted, one time only.

7dayshop have not got them listed as yet.

I bought 4 batteries off of ebay for my pocket camera. 2 of them were duff, so I'll never buy from there again. Probably Chinese fakes.

Dickyboy
6th September 2016, 21:05
Very nice photo Dickyboy.(Thumb)
Thanks John. One loses a lot of the quality when it is posted on line though.
I like to post a picture, then save it back to my computer, with a slightly different name, then compare the two. The difference between the one with MBs and the one with KBs can be clearly seen when zooming in and out. The original was 1.2MBs I think.

brooksy
6th September 2016, 21:16
Dickie I have a Nikon Coolpix l840 bridge camera 16.0 megapixels with a 55mm lens and 38X zoom that goes out 76X zoom electronically.I have found this to be an excellent camera for my needs.This camera also does excellent video with full HD.This camera replaced a Fuji bridge camera that gave me excellent service and which I still occasionally use.As for batteries I by mine from Amazon all original at a reasonable price

Dickyboy
6th September 2016, 21:46
Dickie I have a Nikon Coolpix l840 bridge camera 16.0 megapixels with a 55mm lens and 38X zoom that goes out 76X zoom electronically.I have found this to be an excellent camera for my needs.This camera also does excellent video with full HD.This camera replaced a Fuji bridge camera that gave me excellent service and which I still occasionally use.As for batteries I by mine from Amazon all original at a reasonable price

Looks very nice Brooksy, but not quite what I'm after. Quite similar to what I have now, but a few more Mega Pixels. My Zoom is 35X so not much difference there either really. If I'm going to get a new camera it might as well be a very much better one than I have now I think.

borderreiver
6th September 2016, 22:13
I have been a Nikon fan > My Nikkon gave up when taken under water pictures in San Carlos water but this one always had the best results. I brought a Nikon af was very good but could not stand shipboard use. Next a fugi digtal card would only take 12 pics come very useful when the windless hdy motor went to pices abel to sent office pics via my MOB and laptop. Back to Nikon 150 very good but trying to take pic of the Matterhorn did not like the strong light. now brought a Nikon 3300 very good also have 75 to 150 and a 150 to 300 nikon lens. also a nikon cool 20 again a very good camera got the picture of the matterhorn. with the 3300 also eagles flying over the house. and many other things

m use

Dickyboy
6th September 2016, 22:38
I've had quite a few digital cameras over the years, but never a Nikon.
My first Digital Camera had video capability, but no audio! That was an Olympus back in 2004 I think. How they've improved since then! :)

david.hopcroft
7th September 2016, 19:30
I have a Panasonic that can do video, but I use it very little, usually as a result of pressing the wrong button !! It occurs to me though, that given a high storage card, they might be useful as a dashboard camera for short journies. I have not tried it yet, but any thoughts ??

David
+

Dickyboy
7th September 2016, 20:24
I have a Panasonic that can do video, but I use it very little, usually as a result of pressing the wrong button !! It occurs to me though, that given a high storage card, they might be useful as a dashboard camera for short journies. I have not tried it yet, but any thoughts ??

David
+
I've tried that with a camera. Didn't work very well as it tended to slide around on the dash, which is not a flat surface. I did have more luck with the digicam though.
I've bought a Canon EOS750D camera and a Sigma telephoto zoom in the one package.
I was supposed to pick it up today, but what with the car prang, I had to pay an extra Tenner to have it delivered.
Total price at Curry's 655.49. No doubt I could have bought it elsewhere for less. Please don't tell me :) Curry's is very local to me and if things go wrong I can go around there and thump the counter in the same way that John Briggs avatar did. :)
PS I would suggest a "Dash Cam for the car. Quite cheap apparently, easily mounted and made for the job.

BobClay
7th September 2016, 20:36
Also a dashcam without GPS that doesn't record speed/gforce/etc isn't of much use in the event of an insurance claim. Might as well buy the part for the job.

doncontrols
7th September 2016, 23:34
Dickyboy, hope you have success with your new purchase. One thing to note, though, is with any zoom lens, the image quality is not equal at all points. Generally, quality falls of rapidly towards the extremities. So, if you have an 18-55mm lens, the image quality is probably much higher between, say, 28-45, than it is between 18-28 and 45-55. In which case it is better keeping away from the ends to get the picture, and then zoom in on your actual photo on your pc, rather than zoom right in with the lens to fill the screen.

Dickyboy
8th September 2016, 05:33
Dickyboy, hope you have success with your new purchase. One thing to note, though, is with any zoom lens, the image quality is not equal at all points. Generally, quality falls of rapidly towards the extremities. So, if you have an 18-55mm lens, the image quality is probably much higher between, say, 28-45, than it is between 18-28 and 45-55. In which case it is better keeping away from the ends to get the picture, and then zoom in on your actual photo on your pc, rather than zoom right in with the lens to fill the screen.
Thanks for the tip Doncontrols. Often I only get one chance to get a decent picture. Early morning light and the scene can change very quickly, other vessels, yachts etc can get in the way. So anything I can do beforehand will improve my chances of getting a decent pic'. I often take 10 or more of one subject in the hope of getting one decent picture. That's the real beauty of digital cameras I think.

Dickyboy
10th September 2016, 03:38
Ref Batteries

I shopped around on line, and there are many so called Compatible batteries, many for around a fiver. At that price they must be a bit iffey I think.
I did find a compatible battery - http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/canon-lp-e17-battery-worldwide-battery-travel-charger.html?source=googleps&utm_source=google&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=CN3cz9rTg88CFa8W0wod9osG-A - But it comes with a serious health warning. Also it came with its own charger which MUST be used for their battery.
So after shopping around, weighing things up, and considering that I have a brand new camera I decided to buy the genuine article (As far as I can tell) for 45.98 including delivery.
Sounds like I lot, but I don't want to phuck up the camera using dodgy batteries.

jmcg
12th September 2016, 10:42
Dickeyboy

I have just splashed out on on a Nikon D7200 body and a Tamron SP70-300 mm lens in the hope of being able to take up wildlife and shipping pictures.

A lot to learn if going by the Camera and photographic journals inform us.

Nevertheless, looking forward to it as I will be down in Somerset shortly.

Maybe we should start a new thread just on amateur snapping or just on pm.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Dickyboy
12th September 2016, 11:25
Dickeyboy

I have just splashed out on on a Nikon D7200 body and a Tamron SP70-300 mm lens in the hope of being able to take up wildlife and shipping pictures.

A lot to learn if going by the Camera and photographic journals inform us.

Nevertheless, looking forward to it as I will be down in Somerset shortly.

Maybe we should start a new thread just on amateur snapping or just on pm.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Wow! That looks like a very nice camera BW. Just googled it. Looks similar to my Canon.
I'm still trying mine out. I took it for a walk yesterday, and the pictures are A1. I have to say though that the still pictures still have to be tweaked using the computers own Windows or other software that I have. But I guess that's what the software is for.
One thing that only occurred to me yesterday is to always use the computer screen at the same brightness. I tend to turn it down a click or two at night. Otherwise pictures won't all be of a standard brightness, contrast Etc.
The HD video is amazing! Fantastic quality these days, and more pixels than you can shake a stick at.
I was tempted to get a higher volume Memory card 16 or 32 gig but decided against it for now. I have an 8 gig one, and download almost daily, so that has plenty of space on it for me.
The most complicated thing, for me, is the software that comes with the camera. The manuals are okay, and can be downloaded ad PDFs but some of the settings are very complicated for this novice.
Still there are lots of automatic settings that the camera can be set to that still give choices as to scenery type, action, lo light and so on. They make it a lot easier to use than setting up complicated things like ISOs, white balance and f stops. Just a matter of learning the basics for me first I think, then moving on to higher things.

Took a video and posted it on you tube yesterday, just to see how good it was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nomSfGt-TGE Turned out pretty well I think. I used Windows Movie Maker, and their "Shake" correction tool. Otherwise it's just two videos fo the same subject cobbled together. Sounds very impressive as well.
Good Idea about a Happy Snappers thread by the way, and we can always call on the experts here if we can't solve problems ourselves. :) (y)

John Rogers
12th September 2016, 13:06
Snapping for Dummies would be a good name.

jmcg
12th September 2016, 14:00
Snapping for Dummies would be a good name.

That's it then John - leave it to me. Just hope Steve is ok with this.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Farmer John
12th September 2016, 17:32
Back to using video for a dashcam, I did take a vid once of a drive to somewhere that I wanted to remember, the sound is the problem. Poor dear sat next to me can be heard "How much longer, my arms are tired.... My arms are really tired.... I can't hold it much longer" on and on for more than 5 minutes. Bless her, she puts up with a lot, but a dashcam mount she is not.

John Rogers
12th September 2016, 17:35
That was cruel John, next time buy a Dash Cam Helmet for her.

John Rogers
12th September 2016, 21:25
If we do get a forum for snapper Cranfield is the man that can help us as h has taken hundreds of photos.

John Dryden
12th September 2016, 21:35
Why not just start a thread in the photography forum?
Don,t mean to sound churlish but this once great site is already overrun with non maritime subjects.

John Rogers
12th September 2016, 22:56
May I be the first to say thats a good idea, never thought of that. I was just trying to keep Dickyboy happy its all his fault.

Dickyboy
13th September 2016, 02:55
May I be the first to say thats a good idea, never thought of that. I was just trying to keep Dickyboy happy its all his fault.

That's all right, lay it all on lil ol me, I've got broad shoulders :)
A thread within the Photography forum sounds good to me.
Containing almost anything, but few ships as there's already a proper gallery for them.
Containing ones own work only as well, unless it's for example purposes.
Also, what would be the main purpose of the thread (To be stated) To display Happy Snapper Snaps, or to learn from each other by giving advice, also the odd failed photo could be acceptable for a giggle. Or all of the above? Showing the worst of the worst, as well as the best of the best, which is usually happens on picture sites I think.

GWB
13th September 2016, 04:58
I being a point and shoot man till, one day had conversation with a news cameraman of 20+ years he advised the he usually set camera's on Aperture and let the camera do all the work, just focus and shoot. He was spot on been doing so for some time and it has given great results. Getting to technical he said can lead you astray worth a try Dicky Boy.
Cheers GWB

Dickyboy
13th September 2016, 09:37
I being a point and shoot man till, one day had conversation with a news cameraman of 20+ years he advised the he usually set camera's on Aperture and let the camera do all the work, just focus and shoot. He was spot on been doing so for some time and it has given great results. Getting to technical he said can lead you astray worth a try Dicky Boy.
Cheers GWB
I wonder, is that the same as just setting the camera on Auto? I have two basic auto settings. One with flash, one without. Plus several other auto modes for sceneries fish eye, closeups and so on.

jmcg
13th September 2016, 10:24
No, I would not wish to depart from the main purpose of this wonderful site, however as almost all of us have a deep affinity and love of ships and the sea capturing the magic of shipping on camera is not a skill we all have.

So, on reflection, I guess its best to keep the thread as it is and perhaps be able to exchange tips and suggestions with fellow members within the existing thread or via Pms.

BW to all

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

John Rogers
13th September 2016, 23:53
Cheers GWB

What Aperture would one use.?

YM-Mundrabilla
14th September 2016, 03:15
If you want everything in focus (ie great depth of field) use a smaller aperture like f16 or f22.
If you want only the specific target in focus and the background less so use a larger aperture like f4.

John Rogers
14th September 2016, 18:20
If you want everything in focus (ie great depth of field) use a smaller aperture like f16 or f22.
If you want only the specific target in focus and the background less so use a larger aperture like f4.

Thanks, I will jot that down on a card and keep it in my photo bag and try them out.(Thumb)

Farmer John
15th September 2016, 22:39
Quite a lot of the Digital cameras only have a very small range of apertures, the camera relies on other things (shutter speed and sensitivity) for the range of capabilities. Don't be put off by this, a digital camera will trounce a numpty like me with a film camera almost every time. My favoutite photo was taken on a point and shoot, nothing could be altered and it was a film camera.

BobClay
15th September 2016, 23:50
I'm only a snapper too, and I have to say some of my favourite pictures I took with a good old fashioned film camera. But since I was never really a skilled photographer, I skipped all the developing and printing side of it in favour of Boots or those send away print and develop outfits that were around in the 80's and 90's. What I like about digital cameras is not only the ability to fire off lots of shots, (bit like a shotgun, one pellet will find the mark) but being able to process your pictures on the old computer and crop them how you want them. This is not cheating, photographers have being doing that since photography started, but those develop and print boys had to work very hard to do it.
I'm not sure I'd describe photography as a hobby to me, that suggests I spend a lot of time at it. I just think being able to take a pix with a lot of technological aid makes for a better memory of the thing you were snapping.
I suspect the purists will disagree, and I do have some sympathy for their point of view, (not that I'm going to change anything mind you.)

Farmer John
16th September 2016, 16:53
When the kids were small, I started to get fed up with only seeing them through a camera, and they started gurning at the damn thing. My favourite digital can be used at waist level. Snatched shots and informal photos got the pleasure back, and now I have a grandson to practice on.

Dickyboy
18th September 2016, 09:41
I took my pocket camera with me today, just around town while shopping. I tried all the various settings, some of which are for taking smaller pictures for posting directly to the internet (Though still too big for this site) The results were very disappointing. The pictures have a sort of washed out look about them, and correction with an editing program was needed to get decent colour, tint ETC into them. Not worth the hassle. I found just as good to take regular pictures, and then reduce the size using editing software, having made a copy of the original to use. I use "Picture Manager" in M/S Office for this. It's quick and easy, and the end result can be fine tuned using any other software.
I find that I can get a reasonable sized picture, and not just a thumbnail, to be accepted onto this site. A bit of trial and error with Picture Manager at first, but I've got the hang of it now. :)

Dickyboy
18th September 2016, 09:54
Here's a sample shot. This was taken with my new camera a few days ago. The original size was 9.98 MB. Reduced to fit this site, it's reduced to 1.53 KB. Which is pretty good as long a one doesn't save the picture and try and zoom in for extra detail. I chose this pic' because of the various details in it.