Hello

Lin
14th February 2008, 09:47
I am hoping get in touch with anyone who knows anything about HMS Graham as I was christened on the ship in 1963 when my father was serving in RN, if anyone has any information I would be very thankful to hear from you.

non descript
14th February 2008, 09:57
Lin, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage.

R58484956
14th February 2008, 10:02
Greetings Lin and welcome to SN from a member in the south of England. Bon voyage.

Steve Woodward
14th February 2008, 10:06
Lin,
Welcome to SN, enjoy your time with us.
I am away from my reference library at the Moment but if I recall correctly HMS Graham is the name of the RNR ( Royal Naval Reserve) training establishment in Glasgow. The vessel you were Christened on may have been a River class minesweeper attached to that establishment, the ship may well be HMS Dovey
Length 47 Beam 10.5 Draft 3.2 mts displacemet 850 to 900 tons
Machinery : Twin screw Ruston diesel engines about 3,000 BHP 14-15 knots crew 28 to 35
Armament ; a single 40mm Bofors and two heavy machine guns
Designed as deepwater moored mine counter-measures vessels, in the early 1990's all the class ( about 13 ships) were sold abroad as the RNR was subject to cuts at that time

I will look into it further if no one else come up with the data you seek
Rgds
Steve W

gdynia
14th February 2008, 10:44
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

K urgess
14th February 2008, 10:50
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Lin.
I see you've had some information already.
Enjoy the voyage.

Bruce Carson
14th February 2008, 13:55
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Lin.
Enjoy your stay here and feel free to join in our friendly discussions at any time.
There is a "Forces Reunited" page that may be of interest to you if you haven't yet seen it.
http://www.forcesreunited.org.uk/namearchive/units/HMSNames/HMS-Glasgow.html

Bruce

benjidog
14th February 2008, 22:57
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Derek Roger
15th February 2008, 00:23
A Warm Welcome ; hope you find what you are looking for . Regards Derek

Lin
27th January 2012, 12:35
Thank you all for your warm welcome,

I know it's been ages since my original post but I didn't save the site to favourites and couldn't find it again (derrrrr!!!!).

I would love to know if records are kept of the children who have been baptised on ships and if so how could I find out about my baptism? My christening bible says HMS Graham Nov 1963 (Mum's handwriting) but I know that wasn't actually a ship, it was the RN reserve training facility in Glasgow. My Mum told me they used an upturned bell as the font and my name was engraved in it but I don't expect they would have had a ships bell in the building? it has been suggested that it may have actually been HMS Dovey but I have no idea how to go about researching this.

I understand that it wasn't unusual for children to be baptised on a ship and would love to know more about it generally if anyone has any information I would be very grateful.

I would also love to hear from anyone serving there during that time so that I can find out how navy life was for my parents as we left Glasgow a short time later and i have grown up in England.

Many thanks.
Lin

billyboy
28th January 2012, 23:35
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

GWB
29th January 2012, 01:42
WElcome aboard from Brisbane in Oz, enjoy the trip.