Hello everyone!

MervynHutton
16th February 2008, 12:11
I have recently joined and want to say hello. I was a cadet with BI and have worked for BI, GSNC, Regent Petroleum Tankships and Texaco. Am retired now and realising what real work is! Still doing a bit of tanker and bulk carrier vetting, S&P etc.
I am living in County Donegal, Ireland and enjoy life generally!

Merv (Thumb)

Derek Roger
16th February 2008, 15:07
Merv ; A warm welcome from Canada . Regards Derek

R58484956
16th February 2008, 15:11
Greetings Merv and a warm welcome to SN. Most of left the sea years ago but our minds are still there. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

K urgess
16th February 2008, 15:39
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Merv.
You'll find the crew is made up of all sorts and that makes it very interesting.
Find your way around the ship, join in and enjoy the trip.

benjidog
16th February 2008, 17:45
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Bruce Carson
16th February 2008, 19:53
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Mervyn.
It wouldn't surprise me if you hear from old shipmates before long.
Be careful, this site can be addictive.(==D)

Bruce

John Campbell
16th February 2008, 20:10
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Mervyn.
It wouldn't surprise me if you hear from old shipmates before long.
Be careful, this site can be addictive.(==D)

Bruce

Bruce is correct - Welcome to you Mervyn - glad to see you have joined the SN - I have found it great value and quite addictive. Trust you are keeping well and enjoying retirement. I look forward to reading your contributions when you are ready.
Best regards
JC

Sister Eleff
16th February 2008, 23:10
Welcome from Sydney Mervyn. Donegal is a beautiful spot to live in.

gdynia
17th February 2008, 05:46
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

John Briggs
17th February 2008, 08:28
Hi there Merv,

Think back about 50 years and you may remember me from Chindwara. Let me know your email address by PM and I will send you some photos from the dim distant past.

Great to see your name again. You will enjoy this site, it is very addictive with a good bunch of people.

R831814
17th February 2008, 09:57
Hi Merv,

Remember me.......your best man from 1968[=P]
Welcome and enjoy the nostalgia!!

Saz
17th February 2008, 10:01
Hi Merv,

I'm also new to the site, so welcome from another newbie.

Saz (aka your best man from 1968's daughter ;) )

MervynHutton
17th February 2008, 10:29
Hi there John (alias 'Digger'),
Yes I remember you well, being the lone Aussie on board was a bit tough for you at times but I remember you hacking it very well! Great times on the Chindwara and I think about them often, it was a great grounding for life. My e-mail is [email protected] and we have a website for our B&B which we run here. That is www.donegalshore.com . I am still in touch with one or two regularly, Tom Allard in particular, who now lives in Spain.

Best regards,
Merv

MervynHutton
17th February 2008, 10:31
Good morning Stuteman! or is it Reggie? Hope you are all well up there and we must visit one of these days when we have a bit of time which is very lacking these days. I have already had a response from a 1957 shipmate, brilliant.

R831814
17th February 2008, 17:14
Hi there Merv,

Think back about 50 years and you may remember me from Chindwara. Let me know your email address by PM and I will send you some photos from the dim distant past.

Great to see your name again. You will enjoy this site, it is very addictive with a good bunch of people.

At the risk of offending two old BI men I have just attached two very poor photographs of the "Chakdara" taken in Dar es Salaam in 1967. Was she similar to the "Chindwara":confused:

John Briggs
17th February 2008, 23:20
Hi Stuteman,

BI had a number of the "C" class ships that were all sisters. They included Chindwara, Chantala, Chakdara, Chakdina, Chakrata, Chanda, Chandpara, Chilka, Chupra, Chinkoa, Chyebassa, Canara, Carpentaria...........can't remember any more.

So the easy answer is yes, she was similar, she was a sister ship.

Regards,