Greetings from Anglesey!

johnvvc
16th February 2008, 20:57
Hello everybody,

Just joined and thought I'd introduce myself...

I worked with Marconi between 1961 and 1966 and sailed on various ships - Ribblehead, Marwick Head, City of Ripon, Wendover, Matina, Lindisfarne, Susan Constant and the Antrim.

Had some good times but the old memory is dimming and I wish I could remember more about my time at sea !

Wonder if there's anyone out there who sailed on any of these ships about the same time ? Would love to hear from you.

Regards,

John

Peter4447
16th February 2008, 21:08
Welcome aboard John from Glorious Devon.
Peter4447(Thumb)

benjidog
16th February 2008, 21:47
Welcome from Lancashire. You will find plenty of R/Os on this site.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

K urgess
16th February 2008, 22:08
Welcome to the crew, John.
Plenty of us sparkies about so join in the fun.
No need for watches just enjoy the trip.

gdynia
17th February 2008, 05:46
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
17th February 2008, 11:26
Greetings John and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

ddraigmor
17th February 2008, 11:59
Welcome aboard John - another ex patriate Anglesonian here!

Jonty

Bruce Carson
17th February 2008, 13:34
From a cold Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, John.
Wouldn't be surprised if you found some old shipmates on our site.
Join in our discussions and enjoy SN

Bruce

johnvvc
20th February 2008, 09:58
Hello shipmates,

Thank you all for your kind words of welcome - I already feel at home!

In the next few days I want to explore the site, look at some of the pictures in the gallery and maybe take some steps to try and trace some old friends...

Funny how the mind dims - I seem to remember very little about some of the ships I sailed on - or the people I worked with - yet at the time it was a major part of my life - hopefully SN will bring some of it back.

I did read a while back that there were some sort of records of ship's voyages i.e. dates/ports of call etc held in some data base somewhere. Anyone with any information on this? Strikes me as being a bit impractical as the amount of data involved would be massive. I remember when I was at sea that my parents used to buy the 'Journal of Commerce' I think it was called which kept them in touch with where the ship was at any time.

Thanks again for your welcome - makes me feel really at home,

From a rather cold and overcast Island of Anglesey - diolch yn fawr - thank you!

John

Gulpers
20th February 2008, 10:38
John,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
There is every chance that you will meet old shipmates on this site so, have a good look round and join in the banter as much as possible.
Beware, it is addictive! (Thumb)