Whaling Vessel info request

Michael Taylor
12th October 2016, 14:12
Need some help....towards the end of the '40s I remember my mother taking me to South Shields to look at the two Whaling Vessels (Southern and Northern Harvester) Mother had something to do with Tyne Tees Shipping at that time. I remember the smell to this day.
I now volunteer at the New Bedford Whaling Museum (Massachusetts) and any info on these two vessels would be appreciated.

chadburn
12th October 2016, 14:56
Southern Harvester built on the Tees in 1946 by the Furness Yard. Regards

A.D.FROST
12th October 2016, 17:41
Thetwo ships were C.Salvesen SOUTHERN HARVESTER & SOUTHERN VENTURE. Always laid up on the Tyne after the whaling season.
152257152265152281 SOUTHER HARVESTER in Middle Dock South Shields

TommyRob
12th October 2016, 18:52
The Southern Harvester would part discharge in The Thames and would spend several weeks on Tilbury Cargo Jetty where rail wagons were available. The strange powerful stench of corruption was memorable and I was told was the reason for using the remote jetty as most dockers would not be able to stand it - understandably so.

Dartskipper
12th October 2016, 19:22
My Uncle Frank sailed in Southern Harvester, but I don't know any more than that.

Family issues best not discussed.

Roy.

chadburn
12th October 2016, 19:41
The Whale is no doubt a beautiful creature, however at the time the trade was necessary along with providing employment, there are those who still need to kill the Whale for their existence but not on the scale of the Japanese who are taking a lend of the term "for Scientific Purposes". This abuse by the Japanese should be stopped.

Michael Taylor
12th October 2016, 19:56
Thanks all especially for the photo's and name correction...perhaps memory not so good afterall.

Bill Morrison
12th October 2016, 20:45
Hi Michael. In the National Library of Scotland film archives there are numerous clips on whaling but copyright covers many of them. Lucky the one you require is not. South with the Southern Venture.
movingimage.nls.uk/film 3537.

chadburn
12th October 2016, 20:46
Thanks all especially for the photo's and name correction...perhaps memory not so good afterall.

The Smiths (Tees) design and build experience with their Whale Catchers brought about the design of a vessel which will never be forgotten in the maritime world, the Flower Class Corvette.

Michael Taylor
13th October 2016, 14:04
Hi Michael. In the National Library of Scotland film archives there are numerous clips on whaling but copyright covers many of them. Lucky the one you require is not. South with the Southern Venture.
movingimage.nls.uk/film 3537.

Perfect....thanks Bill. Have contacted the library to see how can access all.

Michael Taylor
19th October 2016, 21:51
Another request to put out. In the crowded harbour of New Bedford I believe steam tugs would have done the tow out to sea and so to allow the untrained crews the chance to be in open waters.
I can find no reference over here to any such vessels despite the Whaling Museum having a large collection and the place full of knowledgable boffins.
Again any help appriciated

Erimus
19th October 2016, 22:12
The Southern Harvester,as said was built at Haverton Hill by Furness Shipbuilding for Christian Salvesen of Leith, oddly enough it is almost across the river from the Tyne Tees Shipping berth...which adjoined the Transporter Bridge.
My memory of crew was that they were all Scots,many from Leith/Edinburgh area...although I remember a night in Glasgow where some of the crew 'insisted' on spending the bonus on doing a whole bar shelf of single malts...

geoff

trotterdotpom
19th October 2016, 23:18
I seem to recall hearing that, after leaving the Tyne, the Salvesen ships sailed up to the Orkneys or Hebrides to pick up more crew.

The father of a girl in my class worked on one of the ships. They lived down the road from us. One time she brought a small stuffed crocodile to school. Does this mean there are crocs in Antarctica?

John T

IAN M
20th October 2016, 00:50
Need some help....towards the end of the '40s I remember my mother taking me to South Shields to look at the two Whaling Vessels (Southern and Northern Harvester) Mother had something to do with Tyne Tees Shipping at that time. I remember the smell to this day.
I now volunteer at the New Bedford Whaling Museum (Massachusetts) and any info on these two vessels would be appreciated.

'FROM 70 NORTH TO 70 SOUTH' (A History of the Christian Salvesen Fleet) by Graeme Somner may be useful.

Hiker
20th October 2016, 09:56
A wealth of information is contained in the newly published book WHALE FACTORY SHIPS AND MODERN WHALING 1881 - 2016, by Ian Hart.
Published by Ships In Focus Publications
ISBN 978-0-9928263-9-0

Michael Taylor
20th October 2016, 13:48
Again thanks all for your help...will certainly check them out.

andysk
16th January 2017, 20:48
A wealth of information is contained in the newly published book WHALE FACTORY SHIPS AND MODERN WHALING 1881 - 2016, by Ian Hart.
Published by Ships In Focus Publications
ISBN 978-0-9928263-9-0

A thoroughly excellent book, well researched, though the layout could have been a bit better, but having said that, a publication well worth having if you have any interest in modern (as opposed to Moby Dick era) whaling.

As is "De Flytende Kokeriene" by Gier Rosset. Landscape layout with one ship to an opening, and is in a mixture of Norwegian and English text covering the whaling factory ships in some detail. There is a thread on here about it.

See : https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=53720

And of course the Salvesens originated in Stromness on Orkney.

Hope this helps ......

Binnacle
16th January 2017, 21:58
A thoroughly excellent book, well researched, though the layout could have been a bit better, but having said that, a publication well worth having if you have any interest in modern (as opposed to Moby Dick era) whaling.

As is "De Flytende Kokeriene" by Gier Rosset. Landscape layout with one ship to an opening, and is in a mixture of Norwegian and English text covering the whaling factory ships in some detail. There is a thread on here about it.

See : https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=53720

And of course the Salvesens originated in Stromness on Orkney.

Hope this helps ......

Actually the Salvesen family home was originally in Mandal south Norway, I remember as dutiful servants when serving on their Norwegian Line ships we respectfully raised our caps when passing the port.

andysk
17th January 2017, 00:26
Actually the Salvesen family home was originally in Mandal south Norway, I remember as dutiful servants when serving on their Norwegian Line ships we respectfully raised our caps when passing the port.

You are right Koba, I was alluding to the whaling operations conducted by them under the UK flag !

davemoore
18th January 2017, 20:07
The Southern Harvester during was in dry dock at Hawthorne Leslie's Hebburn during Dec 1958 I had just joined Temple Lane next door to her .Question .when did these ships stop whaling Trips to the Antarctic,cheers Dave