whaling

dr bob duncan
24th February 2008, 12:44
In the early 50,s was employed by the british govt to work amongst the 3 land whaling stations on South Georgia and on the Salvesens factory ships Southern Harvester and Southern Venturer as a DENTAL SURGEON. Also did a couple of trips as a seaman delivering old whale catchers to Chile and Japan. My first sea trip was on the steam drifter INTEGRITY from Eyemouth i 1938. Have a few books and old photos and happy to join the forum. Dr Bob

gdynia
24th February 2008, 13:14
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

K urgess
24th February 2008, 13:35
Welcome to the crew, Dr Bob.
Sounds like some interesting experiences.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the trip.

Tony D
24th February 2008, 13:51
I remember Southern Harvester from when she was in the Tyne at Swan Hunters,indeed welcome aboard Mr D.

Binnacle
24th February 2008, 13:59
Welcome to the happy band. A few of us ex Salvesen men sculling around here. You probably have a few stories to relate. Happy days.

dr bob duncan
24th February 2008, 14:25
Thanks for the welcome. Will dig out a few memories.

R58484956
24th February 2008, 15:22
Greetings Bob and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

Gulpers
24th February 2008, 19:26
Dr Bob,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
Join in our discussions and I am sure you will get many hours of pleasure from your membership. (Thumb)

benjidog
24th February 2008, 20:27
Welcome from Lancashire Bob,

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

captkenn
25th February 2008, 01:29
On the Harvester you had probably the biggest and finest Dentists chair ever fitted aboard a ship and better than most surgeries!

Bruce Carson
25th February 2008, 14:15
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Bob.
I think you'll extract much pleasure from our site---welcome onboard.

Bruce

Riptide
1st March 2008, 16:53
I remember Southern Harvester from when she was in the Tyne at Swan Hunters,indeed welcome aboard Mr D.

Just watched The Southern Harvester in a film on t.v Hell below zero with Alan Ladd 1954.Other ships Southern Gem,Southern Truce & I think Southern Piper.All down in the Waddell Sea.Kenny.

WilliamH
1st March 2008, 17:07
Dr Bob .........I remember Southern Garden, a tanker, being in Smiths Docks North Shields in 1955, someone told me it was a prison ship that accompanied the Graf Spree during WW2. It was named the Altmark I think. Can you confirm this for me

johnnie
11th March 2008, 15:06
I joined the Southern Harvester 1960 on the Tyne then transferred to the Southern Opal in Leith Harbour, South Georgia wher we spent the season cleaning the tanks to take on whale oil. I still can remember the smell of the factory on the island

Tim Webb
25th May 2008, 14:23
The Altmark did not survive the war, she was renamed Uckermark on her return to Germany after the Cossack Incident.
She became a total loss as a result of an explosion on the 30/11/1942 while undergoing tank cleaning, she was in Yokohama Japan at the time and the resulting explosion also caused the loss of the German Auxiliary cruiser Thor due to fire.

Hilltop
29th May 2008, 19:34
"SOUTHERN GARDEN" - built 1919 by Howaldtswerke, Kiel, for Baltisch-Amerikanische Petroleum Import, Danzig, as "GEDANIA".
Converted to raider supply vessel at St. Nazaire in 1941 and subsequently captured near Icleand by HMS MARSDALE. Towed to Clyde and repaired and renamed "EMPIRE GARDEN". Purchased by Christian Salvesen in 1947 and renamed "SOUTHERN GRADEN". Broken up in Inverkeithing 1960.

wildcatrod
4th June 2008, 21:18
In 1982 I was on the MSV Stena Seaspread which was one of the first ships to visit Stromness in South Georgia after it had been retaken from the Argentines. The station was like a time capsule with apart from vandalism and some weather damage, everything was as it was on the last day of whaling including a blackboard with the last days catches reported on it and greetings telegrams in the radio room. Sadly I hear that there has been a lot of vandalism since, but the good news is that a whaling museum has been set up in Grytvicken which includes some items taken from Stromness.