Hello From A New Member

Manwithplan
10th March 2008, 23:38
As, I suppose, with many members I came accross this site by accident. Havent had a real chance to have a look around but I am sure I will spend many hours looking for old ships and even older shipmates.
Went to Hull Trinity House and started at sea with the Oregon Steamship Co. Stayed with them till they all but stopped trading. Did a short stint with Bookers and then a short spell on the offshore industry before spending 4 enjoyable but hard years on a factory ship, offshore W. Africa (now theres a story or two).
A short spell on the beach (it didnt really like me) before returning to sea and then in to the Survey Business. So, all in all, I never really left the industry and still am involved in it.
I'll be posting a few pics of the vessels I attend on board and will be looking for the 'old floaters' I've sailed on.

benjidog
10th March 2008, 23:42
Welcome from Lancashire.

You will find plenty to see here - take a good look around.

Regards,

Brian

Manwithplan
10th March 2008, 23:48
Cheers Benjidog............From what I've seen, already, I'm sure I will.

non descript
10th March 2008, 23:52
MWP, A warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and surely you will find more than a few of your Oregon Shipping / Continental Grain friends on board; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage.

K urgess
10th March 2008, 23:55
Welcome to the crew.
Sounds like an interesting and varied career, good for a few lamp swinging sessions.
Find your way around the ship, join in and enjoy the trip.

Manwithplan
11th March 2008, 00:01
Cheers Lads, I'm sure I will be burning the midnight oil, swinging the lamp and spinning a few yarns............If you'll excuse the puns !!!

Ian

gdynia
11th March 2008, 04:27
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Steve Woodward
11th March 2008, 09:47
Ian,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, quite a few of us from the old flying 'O' line
Steve

R58484956
11th March 2008, 09:59
Greetings MWP and welcome to SN from a member on the south coast. Nice introduction you gave. Enjoy the site and all that goes with it. Bon voyage.

Gulpers
11th March 2008, 21:46
MWP,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
There is every chance that you will meet old shipmates on this site so, have a good look round and join in the banter as much as possible.
Beware, it is addictive! (Thumb)