Great to be here.

Harvey Williams
20th March 2008, 22:45
To quote Arthur Askey HELLO SHIPMATES. Hope you excuse my inexperience but its rather like joining a new ship, you know the score dont you, it takes a little while to settle down and to get to know the rest of the lads. Well Im in that boat now, Im open to any questions and hope I can be accepted as soon as possible.
My cabin is up here in North Wales, over the next few week I hope to fill you in a little more, and likewise hope you will drop a line for a chat at anytime, time ive got, loads of it now.
Hope to hear from any one, weather were known to one another or just to make an acquaintance.
Im a Football fanatic, Everton & Wrexham ( stop laughing in the back please) in fact after leaving the Navy in 1978 I cooked around restaurants in the Mold area, then landed a plum job as Chef at Everton F.C. a position I held till 1994 when ill health forced me to retire.
Thats about it in a nutshell lads.
Look forward to hearing from any one.
Best Wishes.
Harvey.

ron fletcher
20th March 2008, 22:55
Welcome aboard Harvey good to meet you.I have only been aboard myself about a week but already feel like an old hand.Look forward to seeing your posts.Never mind about being a Everton fan we have all got a cross to bear.

sparkie2182
20th March 2008, 23:05
hello Harvey....... from Cumbria.

was that cooking in mold or mould ? hee hee

:)

Derek Roger
20th March 2008, 23:07
A Warm Welcome from Canada . Hope you enjoy the trip . I was in Liverpool in 62/63 and watched Everton quite a bid . Days of Alex Young ( King of the Scots he was called ) Brian Labone etc .

Cheers Derek

PS Share some Menu's and recipes .

fred henderson
20th March 2008, 23:13
Welcome aboard Harvey. Good cooks are always good news! I hope that you will enjoy your membership.

Fred(Thumb)

K urgess
20th March 2008, 23:30
Welcome to the crew, Harvey.
Plenty of interest on this ship to keep you glued to your confuser.
Find your way around and enjoy the trip.

benjidog
21st March 2008, 00:03
Welcome from Lancashire and thank you for your interesting introduction.

I am sure you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
21st March 2008, 05:34
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

21st March 2008, 07:32
Welcome abaord Harvey i am sure your experiences here will prove to be ones of happy and sometimes sad postings,but all in all this is one great site,and all newcomers are most welcome i am sure.
Hope to see plenty of good postings from you in the future!
Up the Gangplank sailor! You are now hooked!
joller6

R58484956
21st March 2008, 13:01
Greetings Harvey and welcome to SN. Nice introduction you gave. Bon voyage.

Bruce Carson
21st March 2008, 16:06
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Harvey.
I think you'll you'll enjoy your time here and we'll be looking forward to your future posts.

Bruce

Gulpers
21st March 2008, 17:32
Harvey,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Harvey Williams
21st March 2008, 23:50
Hello joller6.
Many thanks for your warm welcome, the reason I am writing to you first out of the very kind welcomes is that I spent 3 months in Hospital in East London, the Frere Hospital it was, although In my introduction I stated I was a 2nd Steward then Cook/Baker. I did in fact start my carreer at sea down below, in 1965, only for about 2 year, when we were going to safe anchorage overnight in East London going alongside at first light, well about an hor into my watch we had a problem of water in the fuel oi, resulting in the boiler conking out, a dozy junior Engineer deciided to try and drain the line ( lets say, the WRONG way) I did warn him of what could happen, and you guessed it, it did,resulting in a massive blowback which th rew me acoss the engine room platform and burning me in the process. Sorry by the way the ship was theTintagel Castle.
When we got alongside at about 7o/clock am, paramedics were first on to take me off, took me to the Frere Hospital where I spent just over 2 and a half month, then about 4 week in The Grand Hotel as an out-patient under a Doctor Peter Butt.
I was then repatriated to UK on the Windsor Castle. And that was the last I saw of the engine room. I changed over to Catering, ending up as 2nd Steward then Cook/Baker .
Since leaving the sea I have taken up watching a bit of Cricket, and one guy I got in touch with is from East London, Peter Martin, he is a Cricket writer for The Herald , we do keep in touch a good bit and he tells me of the changes to the lovely town of East London. Still thats progress I suppose.
If you wish to fill me in with coming and goings in South Africa I would be very gratefull.
Hope I hav,nt bored you too much.
Harvey.

Harvey Williams
22nd June 2008, 22:06
A Warm Welcome from Canada . Hope you enjoy the trip . I was in Liverpool in 62/63 and watched Everton quite a bid . Days of Alex Young ( King of the Scots he was called ) Brian Labone etc .

Cheers Derek

PS Share some Menu's and recipes .

Bit of a late reply Derek,I appologise, Hospital appointments and all that.
Well just getting back to your most welcome mail wishing me well on S.N. You made a statement that you watched Everton in 62/63 Alex Young ( The Golden Vision. ) and Brian Labone ( Last of the Corinthians.)
I have been an Evertonian for about 54/55 years now.On leaving the Merchant in 78 I cooked around a little then got the job of a lifetime, 2nd Chef at Goodison Park in 80/81, after 4 years I took over from the old Head Chef ( Gerry Fitzimmons ex Cunarder ) But a little heart attack saw me leaving Goodison and taking the job of Team Chef at Bellfield, ther for 6 years then another heart attack saw me having to retire, I still am. Now 61 years of age and I had the Great pleasure of doing what to me where the 2 greatest jobs on Earth. nearly14 years at sea then 13 years at Everton.F.C.
Would any of you kind Gentlemen please share your jobs sent from Heaven, along with the sea of course.
Look forward to some interesting replies.
And which is the best supported Football Team among Seafarers?
Regards.
Harvey

billyboy
23rd June 2008, 00:11
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer